Free Agents

DCFC Kicks

Some (younger) free agents are out of contract because they’re difficult squad members, and have developed a reputation for not always putting a shift in. 

there are also some older players whose fitness belies their age but who have been cast aside in favour of youngsters 

through his own experience and network Rooney know better than most who these are and perhaps he’s particularly good at motivating them

I think there are some signs he’s quite good at this. 

4 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I'd love it if we could get Daniel Sturridge, I think he could be a difference maker for us. Other than that I would be tempted to invite a couple of free agents (fowards)% to train with us if we had any hope of getting out of this embargo.

I suspect he’s so wealthy and has enough other interests that he just couldn’t be bothered. I’m not sure he’s one of those with a love for the game and I suspect it’ll take £20k pw to get him ‘motivated’. 

Same applies to Wiltshire etc I guess. Or it could be that some of them would play for Wazza but we literally don’t have 2p to rub together (which I’m sure is the case). 

• 4 months later...

If the situation is resolved before the end of the season we can sign free agents then?

Who is even is there?

Wisdom

Jack Wilshere 

Omar Niasse

Jermaine Defoe

Baldock (again)

Branislav Ivanovic

Robson-Kanu

Elmohamady 

Would it even be worth signing anyone?

9 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

If the situation is resolved before the end of the season we can sign free agents then?

Who is even is there?

Wisdom

Jack Wilshere 

Omar Niasse

Jermaine Defoe

Baldock (again)

Branislav Ivanovic

Robson-Kanu

Elmohamady 

if we are allowed to, might have to sign Wisdom from that list as a back up CB now Jags has gone.

Niasse or Robson-Kanu maybe worth a punt as we are also short on strikers

5 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Free agents are not a decent option, given that Derby are limited in the wages they are allowed to be offered.

Wouldn't free agents be more willing to take a lower wage though, considering they're not playing or being paid anything?

that's what we did in the summer. 

Unless Rooney can somehow sort some loan signings that wouldn't require any wage contribution. 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Who is even is there?

Wisdom

Jack Wilshere 

Omar Niasse

Jermaine Defoe

Baldock (again)

Branislav Ivanovic

Robson-Kanu

Elmohamady 

What about Christian Eriksen and Diego Costa 

18 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Wouldn't free agents be more willing to take a lower wage though, considering they're not playing or being paid anything?

that's what we did in the summer. 

Unless Rooney can somehow sort some loan signings that wouldn't require any wage contribution. 

In the summer, We missed out on a number of free agents that I wanted us to sign but we were not competitive on salaries due to restrictions.