Ebosele

belperram9

16 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Still disagree. For all of Jozwiak’s balletic turns the ball goes sideways. Saw Ebosole close up tonight; ball control when running at pace is very good. Hard to cross when at full pelt; but still gets it over. 

That's not about technical ability - That's about effectiveness

5 hours ago, belperram9 said:

Wow, really don’t understand all the love for Jozwiak. I generally cannot remember him having an outstanding game for us ever. He didn’t even do a lot last night, but people saying he was immense? Not sure why I’m getting battered either, I’m entitled to my opinion regarding him. Let’s wait and see if he is playing week in week out still. My prediction he will be dropped and loaned out to some foreign club by Christmas. 

There's a whole thread for talking about Jozwiak - Most of which is the same few people having a pop at him - I think people are just saying why not talk about Ebosele in here and Jozwiak over there?

But for me:

The lad is 23 - Moved to a new country where he doesn't speak the language well - Trying to settle into a bottom 3 side and a relegation battle when he'd been signed as a player to help us challenge for the top end - Went through a change of manager and (arguably) two changes of playing style - Alongside his best mate and key link up player getting a horrific injury (for the 2nd time in 2 years) - Oh and on top of that it was all during a period where the entire country went into lockdown and he had to try and settle in a new place isolated from everyone he knows, unable to even visit home or have any friends/relative visit him

Given all that it's not a massive shock that he's taken a bit of time to settle

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

My bad: Giles Barnes! 

Funny you say that, I thought of Barnes when watching Ebesole last night. Barnes didn’t have the same raw pace but he made up for it with his talent. I think we’ll see Ebesole work harder than Barnes tho. I think so long as we keep Byrne, Festy will be our super sub 

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

That's not about technical ability - That's about effectiveness

There's a whole thread for talking about Jozwiak - Most of which is the same few people having a pop at him - I think people are just saying why not talk about Ebosele in here and Jozwiak over there?

But for me:

The lad is 23 - Moved to a new country where he doesn't speak the language well - Trying to settle into a bottom 3 side and a relegation battle when he'd been signed as a player to help us challenge for the top end - Went through a change of manager and (arguably) two changes of playing style - Alongside his best mate and key link up player getting a horrific injury (for the 2nd time in 2 years) - Oh and on top of that it was all during a period where the entire country went into lockdown and he had to try and settle in a new place isolated from everyone he knows, unable to even visit home or have any friends/relative visit him

Given all that it's not a massive shock that he's taken a bit of time to settle

Cocu was all about technicality…Ebosole has more than sufficient technicality added to an effectiveness so whilst his tail his up we need to get him playing at first team level. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Cocu was all about technicality…Ebosole has more than sufficient technicality added to an effectiveness so whilst his tail his up we need to get him playing at first team level. 

I don't have a horse in this race mate - Was just saying you can't say someone is less technically gifted (in football contexts that usually means technique although I appreciate the phrasing isn't perfect) and quote the direction they pass as being a proofpoint

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't have a horse in this race mate - Was just saying you can't say someone is less technically gifted (in football contexts that usually means technique although I appreciate the phrasing isn't perfect) and quote the direction they pass as being a proofpoint

I’m really not sure what your point is. You said words to the effect that Ebosele’s technique is raw and flawed…I’m saying he’s good enough to be a serious starting contender. And I don’t have a horse either. 

Is the reason we only extended his contract by a year because we literally can only offer 1 year contracts ?

I really hope we get him an extension as soon as the embargo is over/softened. I hope the young talents are all on long contracts so we can get our money’s worth if bigger clubs come calling!

4 minutes ago, Jram said:

Is the reason we only extended his contract by a year because we literally can only offer 1 year contracts ?

I really hope we get him an extension as soon as the embargo is over/softened. I hope the young talents are all on long contracts so we can get our money’s worth if bigger clubs come calling!

Another reason why this "Derby Special" EFL  embargo is a complete joke. We could lose some real special talent for next to 'nowt.

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I’m really not sure what your point is. You said words to the effect that Ebosele’s technique is raw and flawed…I’m saying he’s good enough to be a serious starting contender. And I don’t have a horse either. 

I think you might want to recheck my posts - I haven't said anything at all about Ebosele - I've barely seen the lad play - hence not backing whether or not he's technically better than Jozwiak - I think you're getting me confused with another poster 

My point was simply that the example you used of Jozwiak having poor technique was a tendency to pass sideways - which isn't any indication of technique 

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think you might want to recheck my posts - I haven't said anything at all about Ebosele - I've barely seen the lad play - hence not backing whether or not he's technically better than Jozwiak - I think you're getting me confused with another poster 

My point was simply that the example you used of Jozwiak having poor technique was a tendency to pass sideways - which isn't any indication of technique 

But my point wasn’t about Jozwiak’s technique…but about his effectiveness….so perhaps when you’ve re-read my posts, I’ll re-read yours….no don’t. Life’s too short. 

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Another reason why this "Derby Special" EFL  embargo is a complete joke. We could lose some real special talent for next to 'nowt.

10 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Worried we will lose him on a free this summer. Surely the club recognise this and will get this embargo lifted ASAP to offer an extension 

Not that I would want us to lose him involuntarily but we would be entitled to compensation with him being under 24. Could well be substanial although Ings to Burnley still the largest award to date at 6.5m plus add ons

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/sports/item/determining-the-level-of-compensation-for-out-of-contract-football-players-the-fpcc-danny-ings-award

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Just watched Festy on his post match interview, lovely lad, proper chuffed for him and I firmly believe he will get better and better as his confidence grows.......Great to hear his high regards for Ravel also, if Ravel has the backing of his peers he really could flourish for us this season.....I'm not gonna get carried away, my hope for this season is escaping relegation and winning the Brian Clough Trophy....but despite the off field troubles, it does seem there is a great team spirit among the players.....and that might end up surpassing all expectations.....COYR ???

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

But my point wasn’t about Jozwiak’s technique…but about his effectiveness….so perhaps when you’ve re-read my posts, I’ll re-read yours….no don’t. Life’s too short. 

I have... Took five mins...

On 10/08/2021 at 23:04, Ambitious said:

Technically, he’s some way off. I won’t argue at all that he’s more effective. 

This was the post you replied to highlighting the portion in bold ☝️

On 10/08/2021 at 23:07, Ellafella said:

Still disagree. For all of Jozwiak’s balletic turns the ball goes sideways. Saw Ebosole close up tonight; ball control when running at pace is very good. Hard to cross when at full pelt; but still gets it over. 

And this was your reply ☝️

I'm not arguing with your opinions on effectiveness - Theo Robinson is one of the least technically gifted players I've ever seen but seemed to be decently effective in our system at that time - But you said you disagreed about technique and then used sideways passes as the reason for it - And that tweaks my OCD ?

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I have... Took five mins...

This was the post you replied to highlighting the portion in bold ☝️

And this was your reply ☝️

I'm not arguing with your opinions on effectiveness - Theo Robinson is one of the least technically gifted players I've ever seen but seemed to be decently effective in our system at that time - But you said you disagreed about technique and then used sideways passes as the reason for it - And that tweaks my OCD ?

Yes; the point being that technique for technique’s sake without effectiveness is fairly pointless. I’m not conflating the two - you assume that. Theo Robinson had neither. So perhaps the limitations of extracting meaning from the written word is the problem. But my defence of Ebosole remains - he has more than enough technique and effectiveness to be a serious contender to start. 

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes; the point being that technique for technique’s sake without effectiveness is fairly pointless. I’m not conflating the two - you assume that. Theo Robinson had neither. So perhaps the limitations of extracting meaning from the written word is the problem. But my defence of Ebosole remains - he has more than enough technique and effectiveness to be a serious contender to start. 

Oooooohhh I see - It was my fault that you weren't clear... Gotcha ?

For future clarity it's generally accepted in written english to start a new paragraph when you start a new topic - Otherwise the following sentence is inherently linked to the previous one. 

43 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Oooooohhh I see - It was my fault that you weren't clear... Gotcha ?

For future clarity it's generally accepted in written english to start a new paragraph when you start a new topic - Otherwise the following sentence is inherently linked to the previous one. 

It’s not a blame culture. It’s about discussing football and inevitably a written forum has limitations which impact on semantics; we tend not to use rules of grammar and punctuation - it’s more spontaneous than that; and thanks for the egg-sucking lesson. May I recommend Dale Carnegie’s book to you {How to win friends and influence people}. I’m sure you’ll find it edifying. ? @cheron85

47 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s not a blame culture. It’s about discussing football and inevitably a written forum has limitations which impact on semantics; we tend not to use rules of grammar and punctuation - it’s more spontaneous than that; and thanks for the egg-sucking lesson. May I recommend Dale Carnegie’s book to you {How to win friends and influence people}. I’m sure you’ll find it edifying. ? @cheron85

I find it interesting that you say it's not about blame culture and then go on to blame the forum format for your lack of clarity - You could simply accept some of that blame yourself and admit that your communication was flawed? I'm perfectly happy to admit my understanding of what you wrote was incorrect but I was just thrown off by

your

inability to find the

return/enter key 

And I find Carnegie a bore and a prude - Toby Young is much more entertaining and useful in modern settings

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I find it interesting that you say it's not about blame culture and then go on to blame the forum format for your lack of clarity - You could simply accept some of that blame yourself and admit that your communication was flawed? I'm perfectly happy to admit my understanding of what you wrote was incorrect but I was just thrown off by

your

inability to find the

return/enter key 

And I find Carnegie a bore and a prude - Toby Young is much more entertaining and useful in modern settings

Right you are. It’s been a gas. ?