The Humber Bridge Appreciation Thread (and other bridges)

RadioactiveWaste

On 20/08/2021 at 14:45, jono said:

I went on the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge once. Just for the fun of it while I was up their for work. Oldest one in the world still working .. closed for repairs at the moment though

Love bridges. I worked for a hot forged fastener maker years ago, we supplied the nuts that went on the dampers that stopped the Millenium bridge wobbling. Not exactly an epic contribution to engineering but a kind of nice. 

B3234701-057B-4C72-B5CB-B6F08AB19029.jpeg

I walked over that on the upper walkway when I was working in Boro - it was a sponsorship thing raising money for a statue of the great man in Albert Park.

This is my favourite though. Beautiful lines...

Samuel_Beckett_Bridge_At_Sunset_Dublin_Ireland_(97037639).thumb.jpeg.c8c6b9bee0d7c3bccb2cca3ceb10b5dc.jpeg

On 19/08/2021 at 16:05, angieram said:

I didn't know you could walk over the Humber Bridge until yesterday. Our friends walked back and there before the game (about 4 miles.) 

It was sunny and quite breezy over the water, they got a bit sunburnt. 

..........and some folk climb across it, which is not allowed, so please @angieramand everyone reading this, don't do it.

On 23/08/2021 at 23:47, uttoxram75 said:

Dove Bridge, the old road bridge between Staffordshire and Derbyshire now part of a public footpath right of way, tis a thing of beauty guiding weary travellers back home to god's own country.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 23.44.10.png

Absolutely beautiful! I love bridges too. I have some lovely sepia postcards of old bridges that I've collected. Must admit that I like the old ones better than the more modern ones. What is it about bridges that touches our souls? Must be an answer somewhere! ?

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

What is it about bridges that touches our souls?

A psychologist friend of mine says its not the bridge, its the water, some evolutionary thing. Road and rail bridges do not evoke the same level of feeling apparently.

He can be boring sometimes-answer for everything! Never, ever, ask why the fascination with the Mona Lisa.

On 18/08/2021 at 09:57, Carl Sagan said:

And it's free for any vessel tall enough to not be able to go under. Just give 24 hours notice and they have to open up on your arrival, even if you can only continue on down the Thames another 300 yards or so until you're stopped by London Bridge. A little odd for one of the main routes into London, but the traffic just has to lump it.

I believe It is the same with any bridge, the river traffic always has “right of way” I guess It stems from the fact that the water was there first.! 
I get stuck on my bike ride to work almost every day at least one way crossing the Piscataqua river as the bridge is up, I love watching the boats cut through the middle of It even if It does ruin my Strava timing.! 

• 3 months later...