The colours of 1884 (please read)

loweman2

12 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure if my above comment is being counted as derisory, would like to think you know my banter now over the years.

On the history, if the club had a museum like you have been pushing for, I would take a trip down to walk round, but I don’t feel like I would have any connection to the content that is pre childhood for me.

I love looking back at the shirts that I remember opening at Christmas, but further back, I find it hard if I’m honest. 

Not sure if I’m alone with that, and it’s not exclusive to football, but history in general and even TV. I never grew up watching Star Wars for example, few years ago I tried watching from the start and it was terrible, without the nostalgia I had no connection to the characters despite knowing who they are.

I would guess I’m not alone, but then there are many that are different and appreciate the collection as a whole better than myself.

Don’t take banter as “derisory comments” though, this forum was built on it and nobody escapes, I did read though like you asked ?

Hmm an odd attitude and one I’ve never come across before to be honest. To have no connection to things that happened before you were born seems strange and completely foreign to me. But then I love history. I can really feel the sense of history for example when I sit in the back bench of the Freemasons’ Arms in Covent Garden where the laws of the game where drawn up in 1863. 
When I worked in the now defunct Department of Employment I wrote a book on its history. This involved weeks and weeks of painstaking research in different locations and so I can appreciate and empathise with @loweman2 with the work that has gone into unpeeling the layers of the the Rams’ history.

1 minute ago, Turk Thrust said:

Hmm an odd attitude and one I’ve never come across before to be honest. To have no connection to things that happened before you were born seems strange and completely foreign to me. But then I love history. I can really feel the sense of history for example when I sit in the back bench of the Freemasons’ Arms in Covent Garden where the laws of the game where drawn up in 1863. 
When I worked in the now defunct Department of Employment I wrote a book on its history. This involved weeks and weeks of painstaking research in different locations and so I can appreciate and empathise with @loweman2 with the work that has gone into unpeeling the layers of the the Rams’ history.

I accept that, it’s a if you like history or not, I like nostalgia but not necessarily history.

That’s not to say I can’t see and appreciate the work that @loweman2 has put in to compiling and restoring his collection.

I always read his topics, just like to pull his leg a little that’s all. 

35 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure if my above comment is being counted as derisory, would like to think you know my banter now over the years.

On the history, if the club had a museum like you have been pushing for, I would take a trip down to walk round, but I don’t feel like I would have any connection to the content that is pre childhood for me.

I love looking back at the shirts that I remember opening at Christmas, but further back, I find it hard if I’m honest. 

Not sure if I’m alone with that, and it’s not exclusive to football, but history in general and even TV. I never grew up watching Star Wars for example, few years ago I tried watching from the start and it was terrible, without the nostalgia I had no connection to the characters despite knowing who they are.

I would guess I’m not alone, but then there are many that are different and appreciate the collection as a whole better than myself.

Don’t take banter as “derisory comments” though, this forum was built on it and nobody escapes, I did read though like you asked ?

We're all different mate. I was born in '86 yet love history from long before I was born but also love to reminisce about my own childhood memories which is why I bought the '95-'97 shirt for possibly over the odds.

13 minutes ago, David said:

I accept that, it’s a if you like history or not, I like nostalgia but not necessarily history.

That’s not to say I can’t see and appreciate the work that @loweman2 has put in to compiling and restoring his collection.

I always read his topics, just like to pull his leg a little that’s all. 

Well said but there is not a lot of difference between history and nostalgia. Nostalgia is a bittersweet yearning for the past. It's sweet because it allows us to relive good times and bitter because we recognise that those times can never return.

Longing for our own past is referred to as personal nostalgia, while longing for a past era is termed historical nostalgia. Right, enough of this heavy stuff, I’m off to town to quaff a pint of foaming ale at the Blackfriar, where I can immerse myself in both personal nostalgia and historical nostalgia because that was my local for a few years back in the 80s. Great times (for me but not for the Rams) Cheers!

I remember digging through dusty glass plate negatives in Winter's cellars decades ago and unearthing an early Rams image thought to be around 1885, an assortment of shirts they had on; it was printed in the Winter's Collection book. So sad that during the Second World War many of their negatives were cleaned and used for greenhouse glass, such was the need back then, those images lost forever. And if you look at the 1946 Cup Final shirts and shorts the players had to wear, tatty and having seen many seasons' wear – one size fits all – nothing like the official kit with colours they had on for the posed team photo later.

I remember digging through dusty glass plate negatives in Winter's cellars decades ago and unearthing an early Rams image thought to be around 1885, an assortment of shirts they had on; it was printed in the Winter's Collection book. So sad that during the Second World War many of their negatives were cleaned and used for greenhouse glass, such was the need back then, those images lost forever. And if you look at the 1946 Cup Final shirts and shorts the players had to wear, tatty and having seen many seasons' wear – one size fits all – nothing like the official kit with collars they had on for the posed team photo later.

Billy (8).jpg

Billy.jpg

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love Cambridge blue. Delighted to see it. Congrats for bringing it to life.

A slightly odd strip (more a party shirt than a sports one nowadays!) but the club should be aware for future anniversaries.

maybe it is the slight resemblance to jockey silk?  Might look less flashy in heavy cotton

Just look at the state of those shirts, never been ironed, and not worthy of a cup final. When Derbyshire CCC played their early games it was always against Lancashire, and it was 40 years before Middlesex would agree to play against this lowly northern team. All the recent publicity about the first black player to play football, Charles Ollivierre was playing cricket for the county in 1901.

unnamed.jpg

2 hours ago, David said:

In summary, if I wanted to see a pile of old shirts I’d just go and visit a jumble sale. With you buddy.

Edited by i-Ram
Bantz ?

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

In summary, if I wanted to see a pile of old shirts I’d just go and visit a jumble sale. With you buddy.

Don’t! I was feeling guilty I didn’t word my post correctly as it is without you jumping in ?

35 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I remember digging through dusty glass plate negatives in Winter's cellars decades ago and unearthing an early Rams image thought to be around 1885, an assortment of shirts they had on; it was printed in the Winter's Collection book. So sad that during the Second World War many of their negatives were cleaned and used for greenhouse glass, such was the need back then, those images lost forever. And if you look at the 1946 Cup Final shirts and shorts the players had to wear, tatty and having seen many seasons' wear – one size fits all – nothing like the official kit with collars they had on for the posed team photo later.

Billy (8).jpg

Billy.jpg

Love that image , is that the old pavilion ? The picture below we studied with Peter Seddon and Andy Ellis and came to the decision that it is not Derby County, it used to in the main entrance but after research was agreed to take it down, have you got any more images that you could please pm me about @Macintoshplease !

Interesting that the Winter's image shows opposite colours for the sleeves and the collars are all-chocolate. The guy in the middle row with a jumper on has the alternative version underneath with edging, possibly? Socks look chocolate, one has stripes though (he won't have bought those from the club shop!). The only way to date this is to identify the players. I think the guy seated far left is William Chatterton who played in the first season and was a Test cricketer.

8 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Love that image , is that the old pavilion ? The picture below we studied with Peter Seddon and Andy Ellis and came to the decision that it is not Derby County, it used to in the main entrance but after research was agreed to take it down, have you got any more images that you could please pm me about @Macintoshplease !

It is the old pavilion, the top image, and the team photo was taken just before the gap to the smaller hut. I do have a Bloomer goal many won't have seen up in the loft that I'll dig out.

Edited by Macintosh

11 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Interesting that the Winter's image shows opposite colours for the sleeves and the collars are all-chocolate. The guy in the middle row with a jumper on has the alternative version underneath with edging, possibly? Socks look chocolate, one has stripes though (he won't have bought those from the club shop!). The only way to date this is to identify the players. I think the guy seated far left is William Chatterton who played in the first season and was a Test cricketer.

sorry i didnt finish the previous post correctly, it certainly is a few of the Derby players but we concluded that it could be a mix of opposition players one is wearing a kentcricket jumper so could have been a touring side friendly. would be great to identify more of the players.