The colours of 1884 (please read)

loweman2

I like the fact that one of the players in the old photo is wearing a cap in half brown and half Cambridge blue, but reversed from the shirt. Unless he’s wearing it backwards of course. Odd. But I want one.

as caps were part of the playing outfit back then, any chance of having one made to go with the shirt?

18 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

We were lied to in 1984 with the stripey shoulder? Noooooo!!

Aaaaanyway, HOW did you discover that was the proper colour? Why are you so certain?

A lot of reading of 1884 news papers, dedication to the job in hand, I put up a post last week about where it all came from but just for you here it is, also read Peter Seddons great book the men who made the rams ! It’s brilliant !

A31610D3-9CF6-45F5-A7A2-BD1A2090C85F.jpeg

B527CF2C-44BA-450B-A1CD-3C88DBBE0A94.jpeg

A3564543-43DE-4226-AE7F-D335C837B5F6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I like the fact that one of the players in the old photo is wearing a cap in half brown and half Cambridge blue, but reversed from the shirt. Unless he’s wearing it backwards of course. Odd. But I want one.

as caps were part of the playing outfit back then, any chance of having one made to go with the shirt?

The team was made up of a number of cricketers, the football club was an off shoot of the cricket club, the colours were the colours of the cricket club, the cricketers wore caps.

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

After years of work and research here it is !
The Derby County shirt worn in the inaugural season of 1884 by the pioneers of our club, Cambridge Blue, Amber and Chocolate Brown the first colours of the Rams, it was thought that the early colours were blue but it was a shade of blue called Cambridge Blue which is actually more of a green. The badge was the badge of the Derbyshire FA that a player was permitted to wear if they had been selected to represent the Derbyshire FA.

we have had two made by a local tailor after we sourced the correct colours and the materials, the embroidery was done separately, even down to mother of Pearl buttons, it is to add further integrity to the book but moreover to show where the club evolved from, the team that wore these colours set the precedent for all those that have followed, the shirts will be on display at our Rams Heritage roadshows later in the year.

brought to life after 137 years by Phil Lowe & Jason Shardlow.

C0243795-F5F4-4C31-AD1B-D615070F8F0E.jpeg

D5CFE2E7-D98D-4D2B-9CF0-02FA26355C8C.jpeg

071FA85C-776C-47E7-AE21-51A7ED56DC60.jpeg

9715D5B9-0F7B-4DAF-9E4F-5F8B3E22600F.jpeg

1E139EA8-204E-435D-8284-510FBE486FD7.jpeg

AD6D7320-3868-42ED-8AAD-576E76A61E1C.jpeg

Great work. out of interest, Do you know how many times the colors changed, roughly? And was black and white eventually adopted?

2 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Great work. out of interest, Do you know how many times the colors changed, roughly? And was black and white eventually adopted?

Hi ! I do but it would be far more interesting for you to buy this great little book and learn about the history of the colours of the rams, it’s a brilliant read, thanks for showing an intrest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1727616618

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

The Derby County shirt worn in the inaugural season of 1884 by the pioneers of our club, Cambridge Blue, Amber and Chocolate Brown the first colours of the Rams, it was thought that the early colours were blue but it was a shade of blue called Cambridge Blue which is actually more of a green. The badge was the badge of the Derbyshire FA that a player was permitted to wear if they had been selected to represent the Derbyshire FA.

we have had two made by a local tailor after we sourced the correct colours and the materials, the embroidery was done separately, even down to mother of Pearl buttons, it is to add further integrity to the book but moreover to show where the club evolved from, the team that wore these colours set the precedent for all those that have followed, the shirts will be on display at our Rams Heritage roadshows later in the year.

Stunningly fantastic, brilliant shirts @loweman2. Surely you can make a few more to sell in the Rams Heritage Shop?

And I promise I'll be quicker to buy one, than I was with the previous shirts the Rams Heritage Shop sold.

1923 - 1926 Home & Away Shirts.

Any more of the 1923 - 1926 home shirts coming back into stock? or does anyone on here, have one to sell?

27 minutes ago, Baj said:

With all the recent doom and gloom happening around the club at the moment this is just the thing that this forum needs.

Wonderful effort to research and go to the trouble to have the shirt made up, true supporter and put a smile on my face, incredible guys.

Top man and thanks for the appreciation of the efforts, that’s all my posts are about trying to offer something different from the gloom and doom and things that we can do nothing about but most posts are skipped past or overlooked, nice when somebody takes the time to nod their head or doth their cap ! Thanks ??

1 minute ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Stunningly fantastic, brilliant shirts @loweman2. Surely you can make a few more to sell in the Rams Heritage Shop?

And I promise I'll be quicker to buy one, than I was with the previous shirts the Rams Heritage Shop sold.

1923 - 1926 Home & Away Shirts.

Any more of the 1923 - 1926 home shirts coming back into stock? or does anyone on here, have one to sell?

Thank you @Inverurie Ramthe cost of these came to £160 each so a bit much, especially if any profit is to be made, maybe look through doing something through the heritage and a more cost effective top if possible as it has gone down well. Thanks for the support.

13 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Stunning. Well done. You are bringing history to life @loweman2and strengthening a connection we have to those Victorian chaps who started it all. < Goose bumps >. 

8 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

My friend just sent me this mock up of a new kit in the colours.

he saw it on Twitter so I assumed it would have been posted on this forum somewhere but I couldn’t find it so thought I’d share it

image.thumb.jpeg.76bafeb5cd2cdfd12b41c3e73064a3e0.jpeg

I'd like that with the Ram without the 'badge' it would be better balanced.

12 hours ago, loweman2 said:

A lot of reading of 1884 news papers, dedication to the job in hand, I put up a post last week about where it all came from but just for you here it is, also read Peter Seddons great book the men who made the rams ! It’s brilliant !

A31610D3-9CF6-45F5-A7A2-BD1A2090C85F.jpeg

B527CF2C-44BA-450B-A1CD-3C88DBBE0A94.jpeg

A3564543-43DE-4226-AE7F-D335C837B5F6.jpeg

Worth amplifying the words of the report, "The sight of the players when they appeared on the green sward was a pretty one, quite artistic in fact. All the world and his wife are acquainted with the neat and natty dress of the Woodsiders, all pink and white, like the face of an English girl, beautiful and blushful. The attire of the Derbyshire men was a change. Brown on one side, and green on the other, with a connecting trimming of gold, from the neck to the waist. The spectacle presented was an interesting one enough, forming a pretty contrast to the dress of the Leverites".

Imagine the scene, pink and white inter-mingled with brown, green and yellow, like a field of liquorice allsorts, watched over by a crowd of 2,000. How apposite that Bakewell was the standout Derby player. 

Edited by Ellafella

54 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Stunning. Well done. You are bringing history to life @loweman2and strengthening a connection we have to those Victorian chaps who started it all. < Goose bumps >. 

Thanks @Ellafella, it’s exactly that, bringing history to life, no more black and white, there were only a couple of photos anyway, would love to find an original print of the team photo ! It’s nice that people are taking the time to click into the link and have a look, it’s something that every rams fan should be aware of, a bit like how man uninterested sprang from the Newton Heath team and there shirt of green and yellow became a symbol for them, there are always going to be the derisory comments from those who have no intrest of the history of our club, always a bit disappointed when I see those. You are also doing great work behind the scenes to bring history back to life ! It’s where we all came from !

24 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

there are always going to be the derisory comments from those who have no intrest of the history of our club, always a bit disappointed when I see those.

Not sure if my above comment is being counted as derisory, would like to think you know my banter now over the years.

On the history, if the club had a museum like you have been pushing for, I would take a trip down to walk round, but I don’t feel like I would have any connection to the content that is pre childhood for me.

I love looking back at the shirts that I remember opening at Christmas, but further back, I find it hard if I’m honest. 

Not sure if I’m alone with that, and it’s not exclusive to football, but history in general and even TV. I never grew up watching Star Wars for example, few years ago I tried watching from the start and it was terrible, without the nostalgia I had no connection to the characters despite knowing who they are.

I would guess I’m not alone, but then there are many that are different and appreciate the collection as a whole better than myself.

Don’t take banter as “derisory comments” though, this forum was built on it and nobody escapes, I did read though like you asked ?