Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Massive fuss being made about signing players when the players we're looking to sign are absolute crap anyway. That's how bad we are at the moment. Still, it could be the difference between relegation and survival

Somewhat contradictory statements there - I'd have thought if the players are as bad as you claim then they would not be capable of keeping us up

Just now, Rammy03 said:

The only players out of that lot I'd sign are Morrison, Jagielka and Davies. Possibly Carroll. The rest are useless. What's happened with Wisdom? I haven't seen anything about him anywhere. The guy has just disappeared.

Perhaps Wisdom has gone to sign for someone else. But it's alright questioning some of the trialists but as we saw from the January loans we need 'depth'. Who on earth will sign for us seeing what is going on?! FWIW I'd be happy for us to sign all the trialists, well bar Wisdom ? 

Just now, cheron85 said:

Somewhat contradictory statements there - I'd have thought if the players are as bad as you claim then they would not be capable of keeping us up

My point was that there is this huge fuss about signing the players when in reality they are not that good anyway.

You would have thought after all this time that we'd have found someone better. But then again, with our situation it's basically impossible.

These players will improve us in the sense that we have a bigger squad. But out on the pitch, I can't see there being a huge difference. We'll have senior centre backs finally, which will help keep us up.

But that just shows how far we've fallen. I'd expect a club like Derby County to have a centre half on the books going into the first league game. What a mess.

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

My point was that there is this huge fuss about signing the players when in reality they are not that good anyway.

You would have thought after all this time that we'd have found someone better. But then again, with our situation it's basically impossible.

These players will improve us in the sense that we have a bigger squad. But out on the pitch, I can't see there being a huge difference. We'll have senior centre backs finally, which will help keep us up.

But that just shows how far we've fallen. I'd expect a club like Derby County to have a centre half on the books going into the first league game. What a mess.

I thought they all looked decent, and haven't most of them, bar Allsop? had careers higher than we are now (ie where we ended last season)?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

It's things like "how far we've fallen" that I find odd

We've managed to attract these players to the club - Some who will have had offers from elsewhere - All without a firm contract on the table and only vague ideas of when they might get one - We're obviously still an interesting prospect who can attract players

None of the delays are being caused by the club - The club have made it very clear they want to sign all the players ASAP - We're being held up by the EFL yet again

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

None of the delays are being caused by the club - The club have made it very clear they want to sign all the players ASAP - We're being held up by the EFL yet again

Why aren't the PFA getting involved in a 'restraint of trade' scenario?

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought they all looked decent, and haven't most of them, bar Allsop? had careers higher than we are now (ie where we ended last season)?

That doesn't mean they're any good now. I liked the look of Morrison and Jagielka. Baldock and Aluko are not very good. But, needs must. We're in a state and need any players we can get. 

Okay, so Phil, Ravel, Curtis. 

We've sorted your zero hours contract. 

Ravel, see you at 11.30 to mark the pitch out. 

Phil, you're working in the ticket office from 9 til 12.

Curtis, welcome back. You're doing the changing rooms after the game. 

Who's bringing the oranges?

Hello? Guys? 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why aren't the PFA getting involved in a 'restraint of trade' scenario?

I dunno - But my understanding is that the PFA don't get involved on the behalf of clubs

You could also easily argue that the players have every opportunity to go to any other club and sign for free

12 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I dunno - But my understanding is that the PFA don't get involved on the behalf of clubs

You could also easily argue that the players have every opportunity to go to any other club and sign for free

Yes but they could sign for us but only for cheap wages - how can that be ignored by your union? (Just wondering, but I imagine its down to closed shop and EFL making the rules.)

2 minutes ago, tinman said:

I'm assuming they can't build in a clause into the contract that defers any wages over the limit until the embargo restrictions are lifted.

Seeing as Fulham can sign a 12 million pound player but defer the payments to help them get around FFP at the same time as receiving parachute payments and not even hide it, I'd say we can do what the hell we want.

Right?

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes but they could sign for us but only for cheap wages - how can that be ignored by your union? (Just wondering, but I imagine its down to closed shop and EFL making the rules.)

I don't think at this point the club want to make any more issues between them and the EFL - If we sneakily got the PFA involved by doing that it wouldn't be in the spirit of cooperation 

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

I don't think at this point the club want to make any more issues between them and the EFL - If we sneakily got the PFA involved by doing that it wouldn't be in the spirit of cooperation 

We've had players bring the PFA in! But yeah I was thinking that they could see what was happening, without us asking. I think we are trying to cooperate with the EFL - last nights meeting surely had something to do with the bit in the regs about 'fans meetings'?

3 minutes ago, tinman said:

I'm assuming they can't build in a clause into the contract that defers any wages over the limit until the embargo restrictions are lifted.

I can think of a bunch of ways around it

Week to week playing contract, very high performance related bonuses, clause which guarantees a contract re-negotiation after 5 games played

However - I think the EFL would see that as a sneak to get around their embargo and would block the registrations - Plus they would probably take that as an indication of our non-cooperation and take their very sweet time over everything else

Everything is taking time because the EFL move at a glacial pace - We've all seen this with the tribunal process so it's not a shock - But anything we try to get around them will just cause more and more issues

We're being left up the creek without a paddle and the organisers of the expedition are faffing around deciding whether our boat is a regulation length and how many people it can hold - But if we try to do anything else they'll take out a flare gun and shoot a hole through our hull