12th Man or start with 10?

I spend a lot of time reading these pages but don't often contribute much so bear with me!

One thing I think we would all agree on is that the club is in a mess and we were very lucky to survive last season. I don't think there's anyone that thinks this season will be any easier. 

The EFL in my opinion clearly have an agenda to make this season as difficult as possible for Derby. We are certainly not shopping in the same stores that we used to, in terms of player recruitment and this can be seen by the out of contract players currently training with us.

Now this is where I think we as fans can make a difference. I am becoming more and more frustrated when I read negative comments, especially about players who haven't even kicked a ball yet. For example....

Jagielka was an established premier League defender and with some younger legs around him, COULD become a quality signing.

Ravel Morrison has bags of ability and MAY have matured. The highlight reels certainly show there is a player that has an awful lot to offer if his head's in the right place.

Tom Lawrence has definitely been inconsistent. He has also had a drink problem, lost his mum and suffered personal issues not to mention Joiner Gate! BUT....he has bags of ability and giving him the captaincy could just be the kick up the bum he needs. 

These examples could easily be turned from possible positives to negatives.

However I can tell you one thing that is absolutely guaranteed .....and that is that we have the best possible chance of success If we get fully behind the team, remain positive and come together against those trying to knock us down such as the EFL, some other clubs, managers and chairmen.

I'm sick to death of reading negative comments from some who seem to think that we're entitled to success or think it's fine to boo etc as they've 'paid their money '. 

We've been in the second flight for a long time now and in my opinion never closer to dropping down another level.

So would you rather be positive and effectively become the 12th Man or be negative and add to the problem? ...and by the way I don't mean moaning that we've not played well. That's part of football and being a supporter. I mean almost personal attacks on players, management and chairman.

Be interested to hear people's views but really feel that if we can create some positivity we may just scrape by this season and give us a chance to move on again in a year's time. ...waffle over!

When I'm in the stands I'll back the team 100% and give them every possible encouragement. I'll always support the team, however I don't think people are being negative necessarily but merely realistic in their opinion of the current makeup of the squad and the players we're looking to sign. It's a bit of a paradox to say 'we're as close to falling into the third tier as we have been in a long time' and then demand positive comments on signings or moves made by the management that people genuinely don't agree with for whatever reason. If things are bad then people should be allowed to say they are bad, if people don't agree they can say they don't agree. 

Personally, I got very irritated by people defending what I deemed to be an absolute first class showing in disastrous management by Wayne Rooney for the last 1/3rd of the season. Ditto with defending players who'd been absolutely awful throughout the season or the unwarranted optimism that suddenly 'things will come good'. Yes, sometimes that happens but more often than not it doesn't which is why we generally look to evidence to base our beliefs. However, I didn't and still don't make posts telling posters not to express their view because that is what this board is for, it is for expressing ourselves and having civil disagreements about the club we all care about and support. 

Do I think we're in for a real battle this season? yes Will I support the club when attending games? yes Will I then come on this board and express my frustration? more than likely. None of that is wrong in my book. 

Our 12th man has always made a huge difference to our performance.

The presence of the noble 200 at the last game of last season was a good example.

Once we can get Pride Park bursting at the seams with B4 and thousands of other Rams fans it will become a fortress again feared by visiting teams.

So often last season we faded out in the last quarter of the game. The tidal wave of support by our 12th man will be the difference between nul and one, or one and three points at home.

COYR and fans!

24 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

The presence of the noble 200 at the last game of last season was a good example.

Once we can get Pride Park bursting at the seams with B4 and thousands of other Rams fans it will become a fortress again feared by visiting teams.

So often last season we faded out in the last quarter of the game. The tidal wave of support by our 12th man will be the difference between nul and one, or one and three points at home.

COYR and fans!

We trailed off because other sides had better benches and could make better and earlier use of substitutes 

46 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

COYR and fans!

Don’t get the crowd argument, surely all teams will benefit won’t they ?

22 minutes ago, sage said:

We trailed off because other sides had better benches and could make better and earlier use of substitutes 

Not so sure the likes of Luton, Coventry and Brum had better benches than us, making better use of substitutes as part of good management might have been one of the factors why they all did better though…

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not so sure the likes of Luton, Coventry and Brum had better benches than us, making better use of substitutes as part of good management might have been one of the factors why they all did better though…

Really? Did you see our bench?

It was the weakest in thr league by miles im terms of experience.

As I said in my original post, I'm not saying we shouldn't call a spade a spade. As in, if we've not played well, we discuss not playing well. What I'm saying is that we should try and have that 'we're all in this together' mentality.

I think the only way the poisoned dwarf got us performing as a team was the 'us against them' mentality he instilled in the team. I think that as a club, including the fans, if we could approach this season in the same way, we may well do a lot better than what most of us expect.  Imagine the youngsters viewing social media and seeing positivity?

They'd certainly line up for the next game with a lot more confidence and raring to go and give their all. 

Compare that to them reading a post from from some entitled fan slating them. ....sometimes for their performance but sometimes before they've even kicked a ball!

1 hour ago, paintingstandsatderby said:

I spend a lot of time reading these pages but don't often contribute much so bear with me!

One thing I think we would all agree on is that the club is in a mess and we were very lucky to survive last season. I don't think there's anyone that thinks this season will be any easier. 

The EFL in my opinion clearly have an agenda to make this season as difficult as possible for Derby. We are certainly not shopping in the same stores that we used to, in terms of player recruitment and this can be seen by the out of contract players currently training with us.

Now this is where I think we as fans can make a difference. I am becoming more and more frustrated when I read negative comments, especially about players who haven't even kicked a ball yet. For example....

Jagielka was an established premier League defender and with some younger legs around him, COULD become a quality signing.

Ravel Morrison has bags of ability and MAY have matured. The highlight reels certainly show there is a player that has an awful lot to offer if his head's in the right place.

Tom Lawrence has definitely been inconsistent. He has also had a drink problem, lost his mum and suffered personal issues not to mention Joiner Gate! BUT....he has bags of ability and giving him the captaincy could just be the kick up the bum he needs. 

These examples could easily be turned from possible positives to negatives.

However I can tell you one thing that is absolutely guaranteed .....and that is that we have the best possible chance of success If we get fully behind the team, remain positive and come together against those trying to knock us down such as the EFL, some other clubs, managers and chairmen.

I'm sick to death of reading negative comments from some who seem to think that we're entitled to success or think it's fine to boo etc as they've 'paid their money '. 

We've been in the second flight for a long time now and in my opinion never closer to dropping down another level.

So would you rather be positive and effectively become the 12th Man or be negative and add to the problem? ...and by the way I don't mean moaning that we've not played well. That's part of football and being a supporter. I mean almost personal attacks on players, management and chairman.

Be interested to hear people's views but really feel that if we can create some positivity we may just scrape by this season and give us a chance to move on again in a year's time. ...waffle over!

I think you are confusing realistic and pragmatic comments on future signings with not supporting the club, 2 different things as far as I am concerned. As things stand you won’t convince me that signing Morrison will be a good signing, his record speaks for itself and I think people should be able to express their views on things like this on a forum like this. The same goes for expressing views on things that are going on off the pitch. But come a Saturday afternoon, after some great chat, a big cheese roll and 4 pre match pints in the Brunswick, me and my lad will be cheering the team on and getting 100% behind them whoever is wearing the shirt, including Ravel ??

58 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think you are confusing realistic and pragmatic comments on future signings with not supporting the club, 2 different things as far as I am concerned. As things stand you won’t convince me that signing Morrison will be a good signing, his record speaks for itself and I think people should be able to express their views on things like this on a forum like this. The same goes for expressing views on things that are going on off the pitch. But come a Saturday afternoon, after some great chat, a big cheese roll and 4 pre match pints in the Brunswick, me and my lad will be cheering the team on and getting 100% behind them whoever is wearing the shirt, including Ravel ??

I agree that Morrison's record isn't great so far...but do you not agree that if we all got behind him and welcomed him with open arms and a positive attitude, there's a better chance he could do better if he does sign??? 

For the record, I wholeheartedly agree with your four pints and a cheese roll (although we're Derby and surely it should be cheese cob!) before a game!?

8 minutes ago, paintingstandsatderby said:

I agree that Morrison's record isn't great so far...but do you not agree that if we all got behind him and welcomed him with open arms and a positive attitude, there's a better chance he could do better if he does sign??? 

For the record, I wholeheartedly agree with your four pints and a cheese roll (although we're Derby and surely it should be cheese cob!) before a game!?

But if we signed him he would get my support, like every other player but the point is I think it would be a bad signing, 2 completely different things. Are you suggesting we don’t debate potential signings on here ?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But if we signed him he would get my support, like every other player but the point is I think it would be a bad signing, 2 completely different things. Are you suggesting we don’t debate potential signings on here ?

Not at all....just not writing someone off before they've kicked a ball!

Just now, paintingstandsatderby said:

Not at all....just not writing someone off before they've kicked a ball!

Ok, really hope we sign Morrison, his record is great, made regular appearances over a sustained period of time, banged in the goals wherever he has been and will be a good influence in the dressing room…..is that ok ?