What happened to being a parent?

Day

Not sure how anyone can say healthy food is more expensive than junk. You seen the price of a Domino's? A big Mac is about a Fiver, a Whopper meal is about £7 - we feed 2 people for that per day.

I take @Chester40's example of three ready meals for a fiver which you can't match on a one off cost basis but can easily be beaten on cost per portion, taste and nutrition with a bit of meal management and planning. You could make 3/4 portions of each of those meals for a fiver easily.

If there's not 3 or 4 of you in a house then freeze it for next week - saves you even more time!

The attitude to food and cookery as something to be endured and got out of the way is one I don't understand. It's one of life's simplest, greatest pleasures to cook a meal from scratch. What else am I going to do from 6-7 in the evening? Watch the news? Scroll Facebook?

Slow cooker.

400ml of water, mix with a couple of chicken stock cubes.

Garlic powder, doesn’t have to be fresh, curry powder, turmeric, ginger. 

(once you have these spices they can last for ages and cover lots of meals)

Dice up a couple of chicken breasts, even buy diced if you’re looking to save time.

Few peas out the freezer.

Whack it all in the slow cooker on a low in the morning, get home from work and it smells amazing, dinner is done, just a bit of cornflower mixed in to thicken it.

(take some sauce out the pot in a cup, mix the cornflower in, then pour it back in the pot and mix. Putting cornflower straight in the big pot will go all lumpy)

Bit of rice in the microwave.

Is it as nice as one from the Chinese? No, but it’s a tasty satisfying meal with less calories than any processed crap.

Oh, I add mushrooms in as well, but can skip that to keep costs down.

15 minutes tops in the morning it takes. 

13 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Not sure how anyone can say healthy food is more expensive than junk. You seen the price of a Domino's? A big Mac is about a Fiver, a Whopper meal is about £7 - we feed 2 people for that per day.

I take @Chester40's example of three ready meals for a fiver which you can't match on a one off cost basis but can easily be beaten on cost per portion, taste and nutrition with a bit of meal management and planning. You could make 3/4 portions of each of those meals for a fiver easily.

If there's not 3 or 4 of you in a house then freeze it for next week - saves you even more time!

The attitude to food and cookery as something to be endured and got out of the way is one I don't understand. It's one of life's simplest, greatest pleasures to cook a meal from scratch. What else am I going to do from 6-7 in the evening? Watch the news? Scroll Facebook?

I think you mistake my point....you are clearly an enlightened, considered individual ?. Lots of people with kids aren't and its much easier to stick something in the microwave or grab something from the cupboard than to plan /think. Until the price is much more prohibitive they won't change. 

PS you and David both seem quite the catch, thoughtful, interesting, enjoy cooking, like football ....but do you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain? 

Edited by Chester40

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

PS you and David both seem quite the catch, thoughtful, interesting, enjoy cooking, like football ....but do you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain? 

Honestly, I am a great catch.

Made this home made chilli, spiced wedges (cheated with the dip) last night, with a glass of gin waiting for the missus as she got home.

Intelligent, attractive, thoughtful, great cook, I don’t know what more a woman could ask for tbh?

Oh and I love the rain! Love it ?

37B917AA-1FFA-41CB-B708-2C77DC572AF1.jpeg

D5B52365-2EC0-4830-B168-C6DA613E3C1D.jpeg

As a human race I think we're naturally very lazy. Convenience will always win. How easy it is to order takeaway food now, it's on an app so there's no need to drive to a fast food drive thru or phone a Chinese. 

We need to learn to say no. It's easier to give a child what they want than teaching them tough lessons. Makes me laugh everytime I see parents buy loads of new toys for their kids, especially the younger ones. They couldn't care less if it was new or the charity shop. It is a complete waste of money. 

Going off on a tangent, my grandparents told me whilst I'm saving for a house to stop spending money on non essentials. I looked at my bank statement I realised how much I was spending on non essential living. Streaming services, takeaway food, Sky TV, expensive phone contract. I understand saving for a house is a pain, if you're living on your own it's ridiculous. If you're serious about trying to save as much as you can, go back to basics. You'll be surprised how much you don't miss it. 

On 24/06/2021 at 12:36, sage said:

That is why the defunding of SureStart has been such a disaster. 

It also shows why politicians of all colours are such idiots.

From housing benefit to the funding of the NHS, and everything in between, study after study shows preventative investment is far more cost effective than remedial investment.

Yet they keep chasing short term populist measures, knowing full well a penny saved today is a pound spent tomorrow.

Weak parents who give into their childrens demands (yes they try it on...we all did) is probably the cause. We had to eat what was put in front of us as children otherwise there was nothing else. It was all healthy home cooked stuff (which is actually a lot cheaper than fast/instant foodstuffs). A result of this is my brothers and me have a wide and varied taste in food and can cook 'proper' meals. In fact there is not a lot of food we do not like.

Edited by TimRam

On 24/06/2021 at 12:57, David said:

As a kid I had Wanchope’s name on the back of the shirt, never looked up to him in any way (other than height), he was just a footballer I enjoyed watching.

Now led to believe that footballers are role models and having players like Tom Lawrence drink driving sends out the wrong message to kids, glorifies it in some way.

You don't think Ronaldo snubbing a bottle of Coke or Pogba doing the same with the Heineken?

I don't think you can have a bad role model. No one is seriously going to go out drink driving because they heard a footballer did it. But, if a top end footballer snubs something because they believe/know it has an adverse affect on performance, I'm confident a large percentage of youngsters will stop buying it.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You don't think Ronaldo snubbing a bottle of Coke or Pogba doing the same with the Heineken?

I don't think you can have a bad role model. No one is seriously going to go out drink driving because they heard a footballer did it. But, if a top end footballer snubs something because they believe/know it has an adverse affect on performance, I'm confident a large percentage of youngsters will stop buying it.

I don’t think so no, the share price took a hit, but I very much doubt it will have any effect.

I was drinking Heineken last night ??‍♂️

Do you treat the world as it is, or as you expect it to be? Because those are two different things.

I'm a teacher working in a deprived area of inner city London. I'd love it if parents 'did their job' and sat down with their kids and read with them, but some won't and many can't. Do I just let those kids sit there struggling in my English lessons? Or do I do everything I can to help them catch up?

Exactly the same applies here. It would be great if parents could parent their children, but given there's so much obesity in adults anyway, it's hardly like our general population is educated on the subject in the first instance. We could let kids stuff their faces with a bargain bucket and shrug our shoulders and say that's their parents fault, but they're too young to make their own decisions and it's a ticking time bomb for the NHS, which affects us all in the long run.

This obviously won't fix the problem, but it's a start.

On 25/06/2021 at 22:03, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The most difficult job in the world and there is no training. You just learn on the job, you'd hope to get more right than wrong but there are so many factors in play and adverts for instance are out of your control. Good move.

It might be the hardest job in the world - it's the job I have enjoyed more than any other, and still do - but it's not correct to say that there is no training or that you learn on the job.  My parents effectively trained me for all the years they were alive by setting examples, most of which I followed, some I deliberately did differently.  And I hope that I also trained my 3 how to be parents over the 30 years they have been alive - no doubt they'll do some of the things I taught them and ignore others.

The challenge, for society and Governments the world over, is how to train/teach the minority who aren't trained by their parents to be (largely) constructive members of the systems under which we live. I doubt that anyone has solved that conundrum completely. 

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

Do you treat the world as it is, or as you expect it to be? Because those are two different things.

I'm a teacher working in a deprived area of inner city London. I'd love it if parents 'did their job' and sat down with their kids and read with them, but some won't and many can't. Do I just let those kids sit there struggling in my English lessons? Or do I do everything I can to help them catch up?

Exactly the same applies here. It would be great if parents could parent their children, but given there's so much obesity in adults anyway, it's hardly like our general population is educated on the subject in the first instance. We could let kids stuff their faces with a bargain bucket and shrug our shoulders and say that's their parents fault, but they're too young to make their own decisions and it's a ticking time bomb for the NHS, which affects us all in the long run.

This obviously won't fix the problem, but it's a start.

Is banning adverts on TV before 9 going to stop parents giving that food to their children?

As you say, the children are "too young to make their own decisions". Banning the adverts may help with the next generation, but it isn't exactly going to do much now.