How are you all?

Day

Not really a question that gets asked which is odd when some of us have known each other, albeit online, for close to 12 years.

We have a mental health thread, which is a great asset to the forum, but not everyone has or considers themselves to have any mental health issues, but may feel a need to moan, rant, be happy or something away from football.

With Covid restrictions hammering all of us for over a year, be nice to see some normality back again, part of that will be bumping into someone and asking how are you?

So how are you all?

I'm pretty well thanks David. 

It's a question which too often gets asked in the hope of a positive response so things don't get 'awkward'. 

Checking in on friends and family is one of the best things you can do. 

I count myself very lucky that I have enjoyed good health and that I have a loving family. 

I have been in employment all my life and I have a houseful of food. 

I never take that for granted and try to make sure I do a favour whenever I can. 

Looking forward to seeing how others are doing. 

I'm not bad. Just got back from the office and treated myself to a nice red pepper and feta salad. Feeling anxious a lot of the time atm as my studying time is coming to an end in the next 6 months tops and my ideal job (post doc researcher, junior lecturer) doesn't look likely in the slightest. As a result, I'm scrambling around trying to think of what I could do career wise. 

So so. Think the opening up of places has actually freaked me out more than the lockdown. I hate change my brain can't cope with it so any form of routine or order is essential otherwise it wrecks my mind. So have been used to doing nothing and when places have opened I have found it hard to cope. Sounds bizarre I know. Luckily I've been working all the way through it or I think I would have had serious problems. I just need to get my head around stuff now. Am sure I'll get there but isn't a quick fix. 

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm not bad. Just got back from the office and treated myself to a nice red pepper and feta salad. Feeling anxious a lot of the time atm as my studying time is coming to an end in the next 6 months tops and my ideal job (post doc researcher, junior lecturer) doesn't look likely in the slightest. As a result, I'm scrambling around trying to think of what I could do career wise. 

This is my issue with uni, work your behind off for a qualification to realise the dream you had is now unrealistic. 

You’re left hoping that the degree/diploma you have, without being relevant to the job you’re applying for holds some kind of weight.

10 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I had the same issue but to a lesser extent when I graduated, graduate jobs in parenthesis were at an all time premium. I went into teaching but dropped out, did some run of the mill jobs and worked in a night club for 5 nights a week which perversely were the happiest time I've probably had at work. Then sort of fell into the job I'm doing now without any real career plan or goals. Plenty of time to realise your career potential and don't try to put too much pressure on yourself. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

This is my issue with uni, work your behind off for a qualification to realise the dream you had is now unrealistic. 

You’re left hoping that the degree/diploma you have, without being relevant to the job you’re applying for holds some kind of weight.

Yeah you're not wrong I don't think. Uni's are getting better at informing undergrads about job prospects but still aren't great for postgrad students. I think what's bothering me almost as much is the fact that I've worked 3 1/2 years on a single piece of work and it'll likely just get stuck in the drawer once I've passed my viva. I'm just looking at stuff that I can apply my skill set in such as a think tank job 

11 minutes ago, David said:

I bet this has helped the lad's anxiety no end ?

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I had the same issue but to a lesser extent when I graduated, graduate jobs in parenthesis were at an all time premium. I went into teaching but dropped out, did some run of the mill jobs and worked in a night club for 5 nights a week which perversely were the happiest time I've probably had at work. Then sort of fell into the job I'm doing now without any real career plan or goals. Plenty of time to realise your career potential and don't try to put too much pressure on yourself. 

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.  Yeah, that's not surprising I guess as I imagine those kinds of jobs can be really good fun and stuff ? So, did you find not putting too much pressure on yourself then just allowed you to do something you'd thought you'd enjoy? ? 

Yeah, I keep getting told to go into teaching but am pretty dead set against it. I do seminars at the uni and work for the Brilliant club (teaching courses in areas with low uni attendence) but it's not something that's enthralling, it just pays the bills whilst am doing this PhD really. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Yeah you're not wrong I don't think. Uni's are getting better at informing undergrads about job prospects but still aren't great for postgrad students. I think what's bothering me almost as much is the fact that I've worked 3 1/2 years on a single piece of work and it'll likely just get stuck in the drawer once I've passed my viva. I'm just looking at stuff that I can apply my skill set in such as a think tank job 

If you could devise a strategic plan to keep difficult, mod-intensive twits like me off the forum, Dave would offer you a job in 2 seconds flat buddy. Food for thought!

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

So so. Think the opening up of places has actually freaked me out more than the lockdown. I hate change my brain can't cope with it so any form of routine or order is essential otherwise it wrecks my mind. So have been used to doing nothing and when places have opened I have found it hard to cope. Sounds bizarre I know. Luckily I've been working all the way through it or I think I would have had serious problems. I just need to get my head around stuff now. Am sure I'll get there but isn't a quick fix. 

What I would say is, it only took a year to get into this do nothing mindset, I’m guessing that it didn’t happen overnight either, so whilst you feel uncomfortable now but it won’t take long to get into a new routine.

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.  Yeah, that's not surprising I guess as I imagine those kinds of jobs can be really good fun and stuff ? So, did you find not putting too much pressure on yourself then just allowed you to do something you'd thought you'd enjoy? ? 

Yeah, I keep getting told to go into teaching but am pretty dead set against it. I do seminars at the uni and work for the Brilliant club (teaching courses in areas with low uni attendence) but it's not something that's enthralling, it just pays the bills whilst am doing this PhD really. 

I guess the lesson for me is it doesn't matter what you do, if you shine in that role and excel in your performance then you will become noticed and opportunities then will come organically - fave saying that I've been told was the cream always rises to the top.

I got a job in a start up company making parts for Honda and Rover did well the business expanded was offered a managerial role then things grew from there. But you can apply that to any role really just need to apply yourself and not see the role for what it is but look at the company to see what opportunities are there for the right candidate. 

I've always been told it's better to be in a job than not be in a job as whatever it is you can pull relevant experience from it into your CV for other roles or in a competency based interview for example. Shows you have the work ethic as well which counts for a hell of a lot nowadays. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

What I would say is, it only took a year to get into this do nothing mindset, I’m guessing that it didn’t happen overnight either, so whilst you feel uncomfortable now but it won’t take long to get into a new routine.

I found it quite easy just to get used to doing nothing sounds strange I know, my brain could cope with that. Like it was a perfect routine as nothing happened outside of work so didn't even have to factor that in.

Been out a few times for drinks since lockdown finished wasn't really the same didn't enjoy it....all the waiting around having to book tables etc didn't enjoy it one bit. Went out for an all day session a week ago and spent all of the next day in bed. Just miserable not hungover.