Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, David said:

Sir Alex Ferguson widely regarded the best manager this country has seen.

Was given the Freedom of Manchester in 2000, 14 years after he arrived at the club.

By which point, he won 6 Premier League Titles, 4 FA Cup’s, 1 League Cup, 1 Champions League.

In fact he’s won 13 of their 20 Premier League/Division 1 titles, needless to say, he’s kind of a big deal around Manchester.

So about Wayne Rooney’s achievements in Derby

49A483C4-0C0F-4644-814C-49B0240DBF20.jpeg

Not being mystic meg, would any other manager have stuck with the club when the going got tough, doubt they would.

Wayne handled the pressure from EFL and serious embargo's, he maintained dignity on and off the field looking after players and all the backroom staff, all the way down the chain including the cleaners, he also got the fans and players together in these trying times and you fans who are able to go to the games, say  that it is one of the best seasons they have witnessed, he turned Everton down to stay with Derby, and all the added pressure of the wags court case!

What as he done for Derby hell of a LOT.

6 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Not being mystic meg, would any other manager have stuck with the club when the going got tough, doubt they would.

Wayne handled the pressure from EFL and serious embargo's, he maintained dignity on and off the field looking after players and all the backroom staff, all the way down the chain including the cleaners, he also got the fans and players together in these trying times and you fans who are able to go to the games, say  that it is one of the best seasons they have witnessed, he turned Everton down to stay with Derby, and all the added pressure of the wags court case!

Well said.

And without Rooney, I doubt CK would have been so interested.

So we'd've been faced with the grim prospect of Ashley or the unthinkable prospect of liquidation.

Rooney deserves any honour this city can give him - and, most of all, he deserves our gratitude.

Edited by IslandExile
by 'city', I do mean Derby not the little village I live in

1 hour ago, SirBrian said:

I get all this, and completely agree.

As I say, I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans on this forum you don't need to sell his work to me, I appreciate everything he has done for this club.

However still do not think it is worthy of being given the freedom of Derby.

If he was to accept, I think it could make things extremely difficult when we inevitably hit bad patches of form. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I get all this, and completely agree. As I say, I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans on this forum you don't need to sell his work to me, I appreciate everything he has done for this club.

However still do not think it is worthy of being given the freedom of Derby.

If he was to accept, I think it could make things extremely difficult when we inevitably hit bad patches of form. 

I don't get this. Why? It would not change what happened this last season. That can't be changed nor taken away. Why should future outcomes affect this acknowledgement of his very important contribution to the Club and more.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't get this. Why? It would not change what happened this last season. That can't be changed nor taken away. Why should future outcomes affect this acknowledgement of his very important contribution to the Club and more.

I don't get how you don't get that it would be awkward.

Honorary titles, statues, ambassadors you name it, all these usually come after their tenures, not 2 years in and for good reason.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

100%, it's not complicated, what he's done, he's done. The future is exactly that.

7 minutes ago, David said:

I don't get how you don't get that it would be awkward.

Honorary titles, statues, ambassadors you name it, all these usually come after their tenures, not 2 years in and for good reason.

Some are born with them. 

But we take the past forward with ourselves. That's it really.

2 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

100%, it's not complicated, what he's done, he's done. The future is exactly that.

Would you say the same about Prince Andrew who was given the freedom of York and recently revoked?

Not suggesting for a second that Wayne Rooney has or will ever be involved in anything like that.

We have a statue of a legendary manager at the club, achieved far greater things than Rooney has, took him 30 years after leaving the club to be given the freedom of Derby.

What's the rush, why can this not be awarded in say 10, 20 years? Why the desperation to give him it now whilst still in the position.

What Wayne as done over the season to keep Derby in business by the fighting spirit and never give up attitude is not only at the football club, the effect of Derby County is throughout Derbyshire, if Derby were no more then the economy in Derby would plunge and many jobs would be gone whether in pubs,cafe's, shops etc.

The council may well have taken note of what Wayne as done and they feel he deserves the reconition for business reasons, not only for football, if Wayne had not stayed then i for one doubt that we would have a club.

4 minutes ago, David said:

What's the rush, why can this not be awarded in say 10, 20 years? Why the desperation to give him it now whilst still in the position.

Well, he gets to enjoy it - or we could wait until he dies?! ?

Rooney has bigger 'titles' to carry around already so another one won't hardly weigh him down any.

I'm all for it, I so want to say thank you (in a big way) for last season and for keeping our Club going and for giving me back the pride in our Club. #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

Just to chuck a little fuel on the embers, WR is a multi millionaire who's paid well to do a job, He did it with great esteem, Never once took a step back, Treated people with great dignity and spoke well...plus many more instances, Now looks to be heading for an honour of the Freedom of Derby.

This Gentleman saved the life of a young holiday maker almost 2 years ago, I wonder why he didn't get the same honour as our Wayne ?‍♀️

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/heroic-derby-rolls-royce-worker-4468703

Just now, SirBrian said:

What Wayne as done over the season to keep Derby in business by the fighting spirit and never give up attitude is not only at the football club, the effect of Derby County is throughout Derbyshire, if Derby were no more then the economy in Derby would plunge and many jobs would be gone whether in pubs,cafe's, shops etc.

The council may well have taken note of what Wayne as done and they feel he deserves the reconition for business reasons, not only for football, if Wayne had not stayed then i for one doubt that we would have a club.

Wayne Rooney has done an incredible job, no doubting that, but that is a huge claim that can never be proven.

It suggests that neither Kirchner, Ashley or any of the other interested parties, would ever been interested had it not been for Rooney, I can't believe that is true.

Think we're getting a little carried away here.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well, he gets to enjoy it - or we could wait until he dies?! ?

Rooney has bigger 'titles' to carry around already so another one won't hardly weigh him down any.

I'm all for it, I so want to say thank you (in a big way) for last season and for keeping our Club going and for giving me back the pride in our Club. #COYR

Never said wait until he dies, I said 10, 20 years which would make him 56 tops.

If we're going down that path, we better build statues and give everyone titles tomorrow as there is no predicting when anyone connected to the club will pass.

Just now, David said:

Never said wait until he dies, I said 10, 20 years which would make him 56 tops.

If we're going down that path, we better build statues and give everyone titles tomorrow as there is no predicting when anyone connected to the club will pass.

Yeah, why not - show appreciation now. No problem with that.

Curtis Davies? Oh bloody hell, I need a drink.

Whacked up a poll as I'm genuinely baffled as to why some are so supportive of this accolade to be given immediately as he could die and not get to enjoy it. Interested to see what level of support there is for it.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Wayne Rooney has done an incredible job, no doubting that, but that is a huge claim that can never be proven.

It suggests that neither Kirchner, Ashley or any of the other interested parties, would ever been interested had it not been for Rooney, I can't believe that is true.

Think we're getting a little carried away here.

Highly selective choosing only one of the points, has the feel of a Bristol city fan, lol

KC always wanted Wayne to stay on as manager, so when KC walked away in December was it, then when he made his second bid, he was quick to say Wayne was staying on as manager, you are quite right Wayne was never a factor in KC buying the club.

I still have to pinch myself that Wayne Rooney played for Derby County and he's now our boss and could be for many more years.

And if we all look after one another, support one another and help one another, work for one another, like we have this season, then the freedom of Derby will just be the start of many rewards, acolades, honours that we can all rejoice and celebrate together as supporters of Derby County Football Club, the team we all adore and love.

Wayne Rooney - Furniture - Brilliant Mind.

2 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I still have to pinch myself that Wayne Rooney played for Derby County and he's now our boss and could be for many more years.

And if we all look after one another, support one another and help one another, work for one another, like we have this season, then the freedom of Derby will just be the start of many rewards, acolades, honours that we can all rejoice and celebrate together as supporters of Derby County Football Club, the team we all adore and love.

Wayne Rooney - Furniture - Brilliant Mind.

Tune