Fly Tipping

FindernRam

One thing really winds me up to apoplexy and that's fly-tipping! 

Lazy b*****s just dumping stuff anywhere they like and getting away with it. When caught they should be given community service on the local landfill for a month.

What really blew my corks this week was what happened in Devon.

A woman saw 2 fly tippers in her lane. Rashly video'd them and yelled at them. Luckily they didn't attack her, a few locals showed up and the police were called, these low lifes started to put some rubbish back on their truck. 

Despite all the video and witnesses the police declined to prosecute as " no officers actually saw the alleged offence"!!

So message is dump away and as long as no copper sees you there's no problem

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not defending them because it's scummy.

But it can be tough to get rid of waste. Maybe not once in a while but if you're in a trade or on a project and you're constantly creating a pile of crap then it is a nuisance to get rid of. 

Myself, I just moan and dispose of poo properly.

But for the less considerate among us. Its easier to fly tip than get permit, have multiple skips, get appointments etc etc.

Local councils are making it harder and harder for legitimate households to get rid of waste. I live in Rushcliffe and my local tip in West Bridgford now run a booking policy scheme where you have to make an appointment against a time slot to be allowed entry. You can't just roll up with you waste as nornal. No other sites in Nottingham do this. Surprisingly the weekend slots are always full. Sod that would be easier to shove my rubbish into the nearest hedge. 

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Local councils are making it harder and harder for legitimate households to get rid of waste. I live in Rushcliffe and my local tip in West Bridgford now run a booking policy scheme where you have to make an appointment against a time slot to be allowed entry. You can't just roll up with you waste as nornal. No other sites in Nottingham do this. Surprisingly the weekend slots are always full. Sod that would be easier to shove my rubbish into the nearest hedge. 

I recently took a cardboard box full of glass bottles and jars to West Bridgford Asda to put in the recycling bins there.

Accidentally left the cardboard box there and was treated to a visit by an environmental officer the next day, who placed me under caution and threatened a court appearance before giving me a £200 fly tipping fine to “cover the costs of removing the cardboard box.”

Appreciate I was in the wrong but you would hope a little common sense would have been used. To me, he could’ve come round, explained the situation and I’d have been more than happy to go and collect the cardboard box I’d accidentally left and I’d have put it into my own recycling. 

Seems short sighted as I would now be far less inclined to use their recycling facilities.

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We have the same situation in Leicestershire, and it's because of the pandemic and ensuring that social distancing and appropriate sanitation takes place.

It strikes me as a particularly reasonable and sensible approach to take under the circumstances.

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I can think of a perfect place round the corner from you to dump your rubbish…

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

We have the same situation in Leicestershire, and it's because of the pandemic and ensuring that social distancing and appropriate sanitation takes place.

It strikes me as a particularly reasonable and sensible approach to take under the circumstances.

My point was that it's not being done unilaterally though which I said otherwise I could understand the rationale behind the social distancing.

Out of interest, I've just checked the Raynesway Tip website for here in Derby.

That too is now on a Pre-Booked basis only.  (Free on-line booking, but didn't delve that far, so no idea whether that's a quick and easy process).

Interestingly, one rule states:
"Please do not bring children or pets to the site. If children or pets exit vehicles, we will have to close the site to everyone and it will cause delays for others."!  ?

Seeing as the whole place is outdoors, and any queues are outside the site, on a side street, with everyone sat in their own vehicles, I'm not sure why pre-booking is a prerequisite? 
Limiting access & use of the bays etc, (50% capacity?) and an overall management of those subsequently on foot/out of vehicles would surely be enough to control social distancing etc?  Once up to "Covid-Capacity", let the queues form outside, and allow "One out/One in)?  I reckon it's about 30/40 cars before any queue would reach back to the main ring road?  Would obviously need managing from that point to avoid blocking main roads, but that's a normal summer Sunday anyway for Raynesway Tip!

The likes of local supermarkets/shops on retail parks etc seem to cope with such limitations, including queues outside, so not sure why an outdoor site like Raynesway Tip couldn't manage something similar?  ?‍♂️

If I had to go to the faff of pre-booking to use the tip, (Because of Covid) I'm pretty sure I'd be analysing the situation very closely once on site.  I'd expect to feel 100% safe, (not 99%) with absolutely no flaws in the system at all... Otherwise, a strongly worded email could be wending it's way to Derby City Council... Particularly if my football team hadn't been doing too well, and I was "In a mood" before I even set off!  ?

*Just words... I have no current plans to be in need of using our local tip!  The Biffa Bin at work usually suffices!  ?

Loscoe cope with no pre booking,  I guess they don't have the same catchment area as Raynesway though but the theory is the same surely. 

They limit the vehicles that can be on site at one time,  with a limit on the length of the queue. 

Regardless of the difficulties in disposal of rubbish there is never an excuse for littering or fly tipping. I suspect many of those that do would do so regardless of the ease or difficulty of disposing rubbish at the tip.

Recently done our patio and been left with a few tonnes of earth.

East Staffs want to charge me £3 per 15kg to take it to the tip (Uttoxeter is non-booking), skip would be about £200.

Very tempted to pay more than a few visits to our nearest field to unload instead. I won't and will probably employ the "one bag at a time in the bottom of the bin method".

On the fly tipping scale surely "dirt" barely registers?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Out of interest, I've just checked the Raynesway Tip website for here in Derby.

That too is now on a Pre-Booked basis only.  (Free on-line booking, but didn't delve that far, so no idea whether that's a quick and easy process).

Interestingly, one rule states:
"Please do not bring children or pets to the site. If children or pets exit vehicles, we will have to close the site to everyone and it will cause delays for others."!  ?

Seeing as the whole place is outdoors, and any queues are outside the site, on a side street, with everyone sat in their own vehicles, I'm not sure why pre-booking is a prerequisite? 
Limiting access & use of the bays etc, (50% capacity?) and an overall management of those subsequently on foot/out of vehicles would surely be enough to control social distancing etc?  Once up to "Covid-Capacity", let the queues form outside, and allow "One out/One in)?  I reckon it's about 30/40 cars before any queue would reach back to the main ring road?  Would obviously need managing from that point to avoid blocking main roads, but that's a normal summer Sunday anyway for Raynesway Tip!

The likes of local supermarkets/shops on retail parks etc seem to cope with such limitations, including queues outside, so not sure why an outdoor site like Raynesway Tip couldn't manage something similar?  ?‍♂️

If I had to go to the faff of pre-booking to use the tip, (Because of Covid) I'm pretty sure I'd be analysing the situation very closely once on site.  I'd expect to feel 100% safe, (not 99%) with absolutely no flaws in the system at all... Otherwise, a strongly worded email could be wending it's way to Derby City Council... Particularly if my football team hadn't been doing too well, and I was "In a mood" before I even set off!  ?

*Just words... I have no current plans to be in need of using our local tip!  The Biffa Bin at work usually suffices!  ?

I had to book a Raynesway tip run last week as the skip has gone and I had a load of packaging and old kitchen units to get rid of

My initial feeling was also one of frustration when I realised that I had to book in advance, but actually - having now gone through it, I actually think it's a better system.

Having "just turned up" many times before and had to queue for an hour to get in, this time, I turned up at my allotted time, was ticked off on approach and was in and out within 5 minutes. Also they have changed the layout of the bins so that you don't have to wander up and down the bays looking for the correct container. Each allocated bay has a general rubbish bin in front, wood to the left and garden waste to the right (ie the 3 most commonly used). So it's dead easy. All the lesser used bins are on the lower level as before.

Much like the new online booking for blood tests (turn up on time and be out again within 5 mins) - as opposed to taking a ticket and sitting around for nearly an hour

Once you realise that you don't *need* to go to the tip on a whim, and that if you plan it in advance it's much easier all round, then your frustrations will surely dissipate

Oh and while I'm at it - same  goes for table service at the pub! Whose favourite bit of the pub was standing at the bar trying to get served?? There is a reason that hardly any other countries in the world operate that stupid system!

19 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'm not defending them because it's scummy.

But it can be tough to get rid of waste. Maybe not once in a while but if you're in a trade or on a project and you're constantly creating a pile of crap then it is a nuisance to get rid of. 

Myself, I just moan and dispose of poo properly.

But for the less considerate among us. Its easier to fly tip than get permit, have multiple skips, get appointments etc etc.

Typical can't be arsed attitude from society! Be bothered, get a permit, don't make excuses for low life

52 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Recently done our patio and been left with a few tonnes of earth.

East Staffs want to charge me £3 per 15kg to take it to the tip (Uttoxeter is non-booking), skip would be about £200.

Very tempted to pay more than a few visits to our nearest field to unload instead. I won't and will probably employ the "one bag at a time in the bottom of the bin method".

On the fly tipping scale surely "dirt" barely registers?

Need to sneak it out in your trousers. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D9zugv1NdMj4&ved=2ahUKEwjrm635yaDwAhUFlFwKHcH8BXgQwqsBegQIBhAG&usg=AOvVaw24-IBSOSej4ASiNoLkX2aB

Archived