The Case for the Defence

Abu Derby

1. What has happened to ours?

2. What on earth do they do during training?

3. Why give Birmingham’s main striking threat the freedom of Pride Park?

4. When will we keep our next clean sheet?

Answers on a postage stamp please. 

7 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Why give Birmingham’s main striking threat the freedom of Pride Park?

In 2 of the last 3 games we have let strikers who are good in the air score headers due to either having the wrong person marking them or no one marking them. Why are we not setting up to have our players that are strongest in the air marking the oppositions best aerial players? We are failing at the most aspects of defending. 

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

In 2 of the last 3 games we have let strikers who are good in the air score headers due to either having the wrong person marking them or no one marking them. Why are we not setting up to have our players that are strongest in the air marking the oppositions best aerial players? We are failing at the most aspects of defending. 

It’s a bit odd really, as I think the tactical geniuses that are our coaching staff, constantly set up to counter the opposition; yet in this most basic aspect we keep failing. Why we don’t set up to pose the opposition maximum threat ourselves baffles me, because it’s quite obvious we can’t keep clean sheets,

1 minute ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

How many of our defence are here next season? They don't give a duck if we go down. Bamfords.

I don't think that they're that bad individually, it's just that they don't work as a unit. They lack leadership, both on and off the pitch. We've been crying out for a strong leader for years, some who can organise the defence. Keogh wasn't bad at it, he just let himself down at times either with a mistake or balling out other players unnecessarily.

18 minutes ago, rynny said:

It is very hard to get defensive systems right in a game or so. We have been riddled with injuries and inconsistencies. 

That said, the basics of marking, defending and keeping the ball out of our goal has been so poorly trained over all of this season, the entire coaching staff should be ashamed. 

4 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

How many of our defence are here next season? They don't give a duck if we go down. Bamfords.

Bit strong buddy! Clarke and Byrne have arguably been our most consistent players bar Bielik. Buchanan was also earning rave reviews for a fair time. I blame our obsession with zonal marking.

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

1. What has happened to ours?

2. What on earth do they do during training?

3. Why give Birmingham’s main striking threat the freedom of Pride Park?

4. When will we keep our next clean sheet?

Answers on a postage stamp please. 

I don't see any use for playing Forsyth.  I actually thought he was the weakest player under Mac 1 and 7 years later he's still here. When we went back to him I really was not sure why. 

We shifted out Evans who was good cover and had a football brain to bring in players who aren't as tidy on the ball. 

18 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Bit strong buddy! Clarke and Byrne have arguably been our most consistent players bar Bielik. Buchanan was also earning rave reviews for a fair time. I blame our obsession with zonal marking.

This is what’s so bad for Derby this season - when I see people try to defend any of our players and make out any of them have had half a good season - it’s cringeworthy, we have been ultimately dreadful all over the pitch and the shining lights have been flickers in a painfully dreadful season. I see people keep talking about how good matt Clarke is and I don’t think he is anywhere near jake Buxton of 2014 and 2015. This team is so so so poor. 

Edited by Ramos

I will say in defence of our defence (ha) that that area has taken a real wrecking over the last few games. Over the last three weeks Clarke, Wisdom, Mengi and Edmundson have all suffered injuries, and in six games we've seen Clarke & Wisdom, Mengi & Wisdom, Clarke & Edmundson, and Forsyth, Clarke & Edmundson all as the centre-back duo/trio. Edmundson had surgery less than a fortnight ago and played most of the game at Preston having not even trained, and Clarke was also rushed back sooner than wanted due to lack of options. 

50 minutes ago, Ramos said:

This is what’s so bad for Derby this season - when I see people try to defend any of our players and make out any of them have had half a good season - it’s cringeworthy, we have been ultimately dreadful all over the pitch and the shining lights have been flickers in a painfully dreadful season. I see people keep talking about how good matt Clarke is and I don’t think he is anywhere near jake Buxton of 2014 and 2015. This team is so so so poor. 

Feel better now? ?