The Case for the Defence

Abu Derby

1. Krystian Bielik is no longer protecting them, putting them under lots more pressure and exposing their weaknesses (especially around balls into the box).

2. Looks like they just piss about, by the training videos. Can’t be any actual coaching going on, Rooney isn’t qualified to do that.

3. Because we have a manager who can’t set a team up properly, so we’ve got no organisation anywhere on the pitch.

4. When we have a new manager in League One next season.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ramos said:

This is what’s so bad for Derby this season - when I see people try to defend any of our players and make out any of them have had half a good season - it’s cringeworthy, we have been ultimately dreadful all over the pitch and the shining lights have been flickers in a painfully dreadful season. I see people keep talking about how good matt Clarke is and I don’t think he is anywhere near jake Buxton of 2014 and 2015. This team is so so so poor. 

Nail on head. Clarke, in particular, gets plaudits for great blocks and tackles - That he shouldn't have to make but his positioning is so bad and he's so slow that he gets in to trouble...

Concentration is the reason they cannot keep it for 90 minutes in the first half of most games they do OK after that it falls away. 

Yesterday is a good example they marked well won nearly all the high balls into the box then it changed second half. 

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's not coaching, it's not systems it's poor application from very ordinary players. 

1 hour ago, Rambalin said:

Concentration is the reason they cannot keep it for 90 minutes in the first half of most games they do OK after that it falls away. 

Yesterday is a good example they marked well won nearly all the high balls into the box then it changed second half. 

Yesterday we had two decent centre-halves playing, however one of them was playing whilst still 'injured' and Clarke also has played through. Not at all impressed with Fozzy either as a 3rd CB or a FB not sure why he gets to be 1st choice especially yesterday when he was mostly 'missing'. Byrne is a good FB but has been below par recently, plus he's 9" too short! 

Juckeiwitz (sp) has scored aerial goals against better teams than us.

1 hour ago, ShoreRam said:

Nail on head. Clarke, in particular, gets plaudits for great blocks and tackles - That he shouldn't have to make but his positioning is so bad and he's so slow that he gets in to trouble...

...and he’s not the only one. So many times we try to tackle from behind the man who then falls over and we concede a free kick.

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

It’s a bit odd really, as I think the tactical geniuses that are our coaching staff, constantly set up to counter the opposition; yet in this most basic aspect we keep failing. Why we don’t set up to pose the opposition maximum threat ourselves baffles me, because it’s quite obvious we can’t keep clean sheets,

I will never understand why we always change to counter what the opposition are doing. The opposition always gets to play their strongest set up that they play all the time whilst we have a different team and formation every match. Let the opponent worry about countering us not the other way round

9 hours ago, JfR said:

I will say in defence of our defence (ha) that that area has taken a real wrecking over the last few games. Over the last three weeks Clarke, Wisdom, Mengi and Edmundson have all suffered injuries, and in six games we've seen Clarke & Wisdom, Mengi & Wisdom, Clarke & Edmundson, and Forsyth, Clarke & Edmundson all as the centre-back duo/trio. Edmundson had surgery less than a fortnight ago and played most of the game at Preston having not even trained, and Clarke was also rushed back sooner than wanted due to lack of options. 

That says most of it. But I wonder whether we'd have stuck with one back four if fitness hadn't been an issue?

Archived