Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

5 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I’m past caring to be honest; any idiot could have seen giving the job to someone so inexperienced wouldn’t work, and it hasn’t. I’m fed up with my club being used as some ex-England internationals pet project - we should have had someone in with actual experience at this level but no, once again we went for the Hollywood option. I’m sick and tired of it.

Exactly ?

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jayram said:

I’m past caring to be honest; any idiot could have seen giving the job to someone so inexperienced wouldn’t work, and it hasn’t. I’m fed up with my club being used as some ex-England internationals pet project - we should have had someone in with actual experience at this level but no, once again we went for the Hollywood option. I’m sick and tired of it.

You're not past caring, otherwise you wouldn't be here now when the season is over and still checking the forum, so let's not kid ourselves, we all care.

Let's also not forget the last inexperienced ex England international took us 90 minutes away from the Premier League either when many claimed it was a disaster waiting to happen.

North of the border you have Steven Gerrard lifting the SPL so it's not the worst idea ever to give the next generation a chance.

I get it, the extra attention, the "glamour" turns some fans stomachs, myself personally the idea of jumping on the dinosaur roundabout turns my stomach.

All Rooney had to do this season was keep us up, he managed that....just...now it can be credited to Marlon Pack's goal, but just as easily could have been achieved earlier had it not been for decisions that went against us and the finishing from our players, which let's not forget, Rooney didn't have 1 natural finisher at his disposal.

1 minute ago, David said:

You're not past caring, otherwise you wouldn't be here now when the season is over and still checking the forum, so let's not kid ourselves, we all care.

Let's also not forget the last inexperienced ex England international took us 90 minutes away from the Premier League either when many claimed it was a disaster waiting to happen.

North of the border you have Steven Gerrard lifting the SPL so it's not the worst idea ever to give the next generation a chance.

I get it, the extra attention, the "glamour" turns some fans stomachs, myself personally the idea of jumping on the dinosaur roundabout turns my stomach.

All Rooney had to do this season was keep us up, he managed that....just...now it can be credited to Marlon Pack's goal, but just as easily could have been achieved earlier had it not been for decisions that went against us and the finishing from our players, which let's not forget, Rooney didn't have 1 natural finisher at his disposal.

We ended up where we deserved to end up, nothing to do with decisions or bad luck or missed chances. Both Lampard and Gerrard had more coaching experience than Wazza. Based on his record and results, if Cocu had to go so does he...but he won’t as we can’t afford to get rid...

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

We ended up where we deserved to end up, nothing to do with decisions or bad luck or missed chances. Both Lampard and Gerrard had more coaching experience than Wazza. Based on his record and results, if Cocu had to go so does he...but he won’t as we can’t afford to get rid...

Good. ?

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He will get the two months you suggest as we can’t afford to sack him. Having done worse than Cocu, he is a very lucky boy to stay in the job. He has shown nothing to me during our one win in fifteen games that he can motivate players, that he is tactically aware or what his style of football is. That will not stop me supporting the team, nothing would, but he is not the right Manager to take us forward in my view.

He's lucky, but then he's been unlucky in other ways and I think it just about balances itself out. 

With regards to his style of football, he has addressed this and spoke about just trying to focus on getting the points this season and look to establish his style next season.

It's in our interests to put any grievances aside and get behind the bloke as right now, without repeating myself as you even acknowledge it, we're not in the financial position to do otherwise.

All those thinking sack him and bring in Wilder for example, leave me speechless in all honesty.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Good. ?

Interesting that you continue to brown nose a Manager and so adamantly want him in who has done worse than the Manager you whined on and on about and couldn’t wait to get shot of Roy Mac...illogical, flawed and hypocritical thinking some might think ?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Funny thing is, some believe we deserved to go down, should be grateful to Sheffield Wednesday for their paperwork, or Marlon Pack for his goal.

Truth is, Rooney aside, you can look at the last 5 games and pull out numerous opportunities where we should have scored, should never have gone down to the wire as we did and been safe, but this is football. I mean for 89 minutes we battered QPR to see them go up, did they deserve it, pouncing on 1 mistake. 

If's but's aunties balls.

38 minutes ago, David said:

Here goes.

I think it's time to draw a line under last season, and get behind Rooney giving him a break for next season. Put your pitchforks down, give me a chance before you smash the keyboard.

I'm not suggesting giving him a free pass for what was a poor end to the season, but we can't dwell on the past and must understand the position we are in financially, even if you cannot get on board with the hand Rooney was dealt with was not the greatest, look at it from the financial point of view.

Rooney walks? Entirely different situation, if he receives the assurances that he can bring players in and compete, I just don't see him walking, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fired up even more to prove himself. 

Sack him? Now this is the question, how much will that cost, can we afford it?

The reply to that will be, but we can't afford to drop into League 1, no we can't, but with a summer of recruitments using his contacts is a risk worth willing to take in my opinion, even if you give him until October to not have us in any kind of relegation battle.

Things don't work out, we may at least have some decent players at the club to work with. Lampard with Tomori, Mount and Wilson for example to then bring in an experienced disaster fighter to keep us up.

Would you give Rooney a couple of months in exchange for extra funds to purchase a player or two than showing him the door now?

What even are the expectations for next season? Please don't tell me we have any fans sat here thinking top 6 minimum, in my mind a 10th to 16th unspectacular season would be acceptable as a building block. 

Is Rooney capable of that? I don't see why not, let's not forget the weeks we were up there with the best in the form table before Bielik got injured, now if he has the players, the squad, I don't see that as being a totally unrealistic target. 

What Cocu would have done with Bielik and CKR for that matter is irrelevant now, we'll never know.

Fans will hopefully be back next season, let's not walk into the opening game with a toxic atmosphere booing and calling for the blokes head, look at the scenes outside Pride Park pre Sheffield Wednesday game, the players didn't deserve any of that really, but right now we need to play our part however hard that maybe for some of you. 

There is a huge negative cloud above this club right now, I just feel that by adding to that with weekly demands for Rooney's head will offer nothing positive to the current situation we find ourselves in.

Give him a chance, couple of months that's all. Regardless of who the owner is, I don't see him being afford much longer than that if we look to be heading into trouble once again.

It wasnt just a poor finish to the season, it was absolutely diabolical & any other manager at any other time would have been sacked, no question. He is extremely fortunate we are in the process of being sold & that he is very expensive to sack. His record is the worst second tier record for 35 years bar Phil Brown...that's how low the bar has gone.

Re the point about not being able to afford to sack him, are you suggesting he stays no matter what? If not, at what point do you think his reign becomes so toxic as to pull the cord no matter what the cost?

He didn't earn the job here in the first place & he certainly hasn't earnt it with his 35 games in charge. He's out of his depth.

3 minutes ago, David said:

He's lucky, but then he's been unlucky in other ways and I think it just about balances itself out. 

With regards to his style of football, he has addressed this and spoke about just trying to focus on getting the points this season and look to establish his style next season.

It's in our interests to put any grievances aside and get behind the bloke as right now, without repeating myself as you even acknowledge it, we're not in the financial position to do otherwise.

All those thinking sack him and bring in Wilder for example, leave me speechless in all honesty.

That would be ideal but as you say can’t happen. He is lucky as few Managers who end a season with one win in fifteen survive do they ?

1 minute ago, David said:

Funny thing is, some believe we deserved to go down, should be grateful to Sheffield Wednesday for their paperwork, or Marlon Pack for his goal.

Truth is, Rooney aside, you can look at the last 5 games and pull out numerous opportunities where we should have scored, should never have gone down to the wire as we did and been safe, but this is football. I mean for 89 minutes we battered QPR to see them go up, did they deserve it, pouncing on 1 mistake. 

If's but's aunties balls.

Swings and roundabouts, lots of should haves etc.....Brentford should have been out of sight in the first half in the 2-2 draw. Florist should probably have beaten us. In other games we were just awful...only in recent games can I think of where we were unlucky was Blackburn away and I have seen most of the games...

Wilder’s stock is too high for us and is an unrealistic shout to be our manager in my opinion. Ainsworth at  Wycombe though I wouldn’t be averse to if Rooney called it a day.

If he decides to stay, we don’t really have a choice but to wait and see what he can come up with although without changes to his backroom staff I’m not confident things will be any better.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

It wasnt just a poor finish to the season, it was absolutely diabolical & any other manager at any other time would have been sacked, no question. He is extremely fortunate we are in the process of being sold & that he is very exoensive to sack. His record is the worst second tier record for 30 years bar Phil Brown...that's how low the bar has gone.

Re the point about not being able to afford to sack him, are you suggesting he stays no matter what? If not, at what point do you think his reign becomes so toxic as to pull the cord no matter what the cost?

He didn't earn the job here in the first place & he certainly hasn't earnt it with his 35 games in charge. He's out of his depth.

The bold, highlighting this as I thought I did cover it, but I did say give him a couple of months, October, this wasn't a free pass to take us down as far as we can go as we can't afford to sack him. 

It's a calculated risk in that you hope he would be able to use his contacts to strengthen the squad, better than another manager would, for example Lampard with Mount, Tomori and Wilson. 

If we're heading into another disaster we will be left with little choice but to show him the door. 

It all comes down to expectations as well, if we're sat here thinking top 6 minimum finish next season then we need to question our sanity in all honesty.

With Bielik we was among the top of the form table, just that one loss saw our season nosedive, wasn't the most glamorous of football we was producing, but then we're not in that position to be demanding it.

Now you can argue no squad is one player, and I agree, but then Rooney was forced to drag lads up from the academy to fill the bench, hasn't been easy for the rookie. 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Interesting that you continue to brown nose a Manager and so adamantly want him in who has done worse than the Manager you whined on and on about and couldn’t wait to get shot of Roy Mac...illogical, flawed and hypocritical thinking some might think ?

Mainly you mate. ? I love the way you stalk my posts to continue with your anti-Rooney diatribe, makes me laugh. ?

I've already said that there's a difference between Cocu and Rooney, but you seem unable to differentiate. Nevermind aye.

Surely out of the posse of coaches on the sideline the only one who has coached any sort of team to some success is Justin walker. 

So I'd like to see him given a bigger role as he looks very much the junior partner. 

I'd tell Given with his zonal marking system to do one before binning off Rooney. Don't know how he's clinging on. Reminds me a bit of Kevin Phillips who I could never work out what he was doing. 

It seems to me that the only reason to keep Rooney is that we simply can't afford to sack him.  There isn't any other logical reason to keep him and there is no evidence to suggest that he will do a decent job next season.  Everything about his management during the run in was ineffectual, muddled and dispiriting.  Believing he has what it takes to be a good, or even adequate, manager at Championship level is simply wishful thinking as far as I'm concerned.

But if we really can't afford to sack him then I fear we might be stuck with him for a while longer. 

Come to think of it, we couldn't afford to sack Cocu either.

Archived