"Great signing!"

vonwright

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You need acumen in the transfer market, which we have apparently lacked and hence wasted money. 

You also need good fortune to avoid serious injuries and we haven’t had that either... Thorne, William, Bryson and Bielik being significant casualties for long periods. 

and chris martin as well.

I still don’t get why we signed Marriott and Waghorn. AT MOST we only needed one of them. I’d have personally just gone forwards with Martin and Nugent, banked the Vydra money and saved on wages. 

Flo Jo as well. It only took ten minutes of his pre-season debut to see how that signing was going to go.

9 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

It's when you look at that list, you realise why we are in the dire position we are in. Exclude the trio of amazing loans under Lampard and I think 2 of those signings really added something big to the Club, Carson and Vydra. Ouch.

A bit harsh. I think Bielik was a great signing. No-one could foresee that he would do his ACL TWICE. You only have to compare our performances this season with him and without him to realise how big a difference he made.

Still think Jozwiak and Mengi will do well for us too.

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

I still don’t get why we signed Marriott and Waghorn. AT MOST we only needed one of them. I’d have personally just gone forwards with Martin and Nugent, banked the Vydra money and saved on wages. 

Flo Jo as well. It only took ten minutes of his pre-season debut to see how that signing was going to go.

hindsight! Waghorn and Marriott looked great signings at the time. I still stand by Butterfield and Johnson looking like decent signings at the time. 

34 minutes ago, Taribo said:

hindsight! Waghorn and Marriott looked great signings at the time. I still stand by Butterfield and Johnson looking like decent signings at the time. 

No hindsight here! Marriott had already signed by my last tweet so I opted to try and get Nugent out.

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

The problem is that we're not paid to recruit footballers for Derby County. I think most fans are happy with signings regardless of their history. It's not often that everyone is against a signing at the start, likewise with everyone behind a signing at the start. 

If you're tasked to find a striker for Derby County with all the data and technology available to you. It shouldn't be difficult to find suitable players for THIS level of football. Che Adams, for example, was playing at Ilkeston right under our nose. It comes down to the ability of the people in those positions to call it right. 

As well as our ability to develop them. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

The problem is that we're not paid to recruit footballers for Derby County. I think most fans are happy with signings regardless of their history. It's not often that everyone is against a signing at the start, likewise with everyone behind a signing at the start. 

If you're tasked to find a striker for Derby County with all the data and technology available to you. It shouldn't be difficult to find suitable players for THIS level of football. Che Adams, for example, was playing at Ilkeston right under our nose. It comes down to the ability of the people in those positions to call it right. 

As well as our ability to develop them. 

Nigel was in for Che though?

Ilson just wanted too many new kits and balls in return.

27 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Butterfield was player of the year at Huddersfield, Blackman was being raved about by Reading fans and looked really good. 

Blackman was a player who was in the best form of his career which meant that, even though his contract only had six months left, we spent £2,500,000 on our fourth left-footed winger whose game was very similar to Ince’s anyway. 

We played him on the left and he did nothing. 

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Blackman was a player who was in the best form of his career which meant that, even though his contract only had six months left, we spent £2,500,000 on our fourth left-footed winger whose game was very similar to Ince’s anyway. 

We played him on the left and he did nothing. 

Not saying the fee was justified or even the signing. Just, it was disappointing all round but not initially when we signed him. There were a few players who were strikers who ended up playing wide for us I think just to fit in. 

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Because Frank wanted his forwards to be able to press. Martin has never been that sort of player. 

Waghorn was his main CF, Marriott backup with a view to being first choice in season 2, and Nugent as 3rd choice backup.

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Butterfield was player of the year at Huddersfield, Blackman was being raved about by Reading fans and looked really good. 

Blackman had spent 3 years on Readings bench, I desperately hoped Wednesday would get him but we doubled our bid for a player with 5 months on his contract.  I was second place in Huddersfields player of the season list and he has those awful sideburns like an Alvin Stardust tribute act. ?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Because Frank wanted his forwards to be able to press. Martin has never been that sort of player. 

Waghorn was his main CF, Marriott backup with a view to being first choice in season 2, and Nugent as 3rd choice backup.

Which is fine, but the club was cost cutting from Lampard onwards. Once Marriott was in we had him, Martin, Vydra, Nugent, Jerome and Bennett as forward options. Three of those can press. 

Waghorn didn’t become our main centre-forward until the 36th league game of the season. In the 43 league and cup games prior to this he only started up front seven times. 

We really didn’t need to sign Waghorn. 

Archived