"Great signing!"

vonwright

Is our recruitment basically loads worse than most teams in the league? Here's a list of loan and permanents that have come through the door in the last five years. How many names do you look at and instinctively react: "Great signing!"

For me it's seven out of 50 or so, and three of loads were the Lampard loans (perhaps explaining why we made the play-offs that year).

This seems like a bad hit rate.

Kamil Jozwiak
Jordon Ibe
Mike Te Wierik
Lee Gregory
George Edmundson
Patrick Roberts
Beni Baningime
Teden Mengi
Nathan Byrne - GREAT SIGNING
Matt Clarke - GREAT SIGNING
David Marshall
Colin Kazim-Richards
Henrich Ravas
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Scott Malone
Scott Carson
Krystian Bielik - GREAT SIGNING
Graeme Shinnie
Wayne Rooney
Kieran Dowell
Jamie Paterson
Ben Hamer
Martyn Waghorn
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Harry Wilson - GREAT SIGNING
Duane Holmes
Ashley Cole
Andy King
Scott Malone
Fikayo Tomori - GREAT SIGNING
George Evans
Mason Mount - GREAT SIGNING
Tom Lawrence
Andre Wisdom
Tom Huddlestone
Cameron Jerome
Curtis Davies
Kasey Palmer
Max Hunt
Sam Winnall
Matej Vydra - GREAT SIGNING (eventually)
Ikechi Anya
David Nugent
Kyle Mcallister
Chris Weale
Julien De Sart
James Wilson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A think a lot of your list is based on 'how we turn them crap' hindsight, my list of great signings predicted (or hoped for) at the time would be along these lines:

Jordon Ibe
Mike Te Wierik
George Edmundson
Patrick Roberts
Beni Baningime
Teden Mengi
Matt Clarke
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Krystian Bielik
Martyn Waghorn
Harry Wilson
Andy King
Fikayo Tomori
Mason Mount
Tom Lawrence
Andre Wisdom
Curtis Davies
Kasey Palmer
Matej Vydra
Ikechi Anya
Kyle Mcallister

I'm not sure many people thought Byrne was a good signing at the time. 

Ha. I remember thinking Andy King could turn out to be a great signing. Played a couple of games, looked really bad, got injured, left.

But yeah I was more after people's idea of which players had turned out to be great signings rather than ones we expected to be

23 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Is our recruitment basically loads worse than most teams in the league? Here's a list of loan and permanents that have come through the door in the last five years. How many names do you look at and instinctively react: "Great signing!"

For me it's seven out of 50 or so, and three of loads were the Lampard loans (perhaps explaining why we made the play-offs that year).

Kamil Jozwiak
Jordon Ibe
Mike Te Wierik
Lee Gregory
George Edmundson
Patrick Roberts
Beni Baningime
Teden Mengi
David Marshall
Colin Kazim-Richards
Henrich Ravas
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Scott Malone
Scott Carson
Graeme Shinnie
Wayne Rooney
Kieran Dowell
Jamie Paterson
Ben Hamer
Martyn Waghorn
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Duane Holmes
Ashley Cole
Andy King
Scott Malone
George Evans
Tom Lawrence
Andre Wisdom
Tom Huddlestone
Cameron Jerome
Curtis Davies
Kasey Palmer
Max Hunt
Sam Winnall
Ikechi Anya
David Nugent
Kyle Mcallister
Chris Weale
Julien De Sart
James Wilson

you have a few duplicates in that list.

Using the term “Great” is subjective and should be considered relatively to our level at any given time.  I’d say there are better players signed at a higher level that haven’t been as great as players bought when fighting relegation in the league below. 

25 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Kamil Jozwiak
Jordon Ibe
Mike Te Wierik
Lee Gregory
George Edmundson
Patrick Roberts
Beni Baningime
Teden Mengi
David Marshall
Colin Kazim-Richards
Henrich Ravas
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Scott Malone
Scott Carson
Graeme Shinnie
Wayne Rooney
Kieran Dowell
Jamie Paterson
Ben Hamer
Martyn Waghorn
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Duane Holmes
Ashley Cole
Andy King
Scott Malone
George Evans
Tom Lawrence
Andre Wisdom
Tom Huddlestone
Cameron Jerome
Curtis Davies
Kasey Palmer
Max Hunt
Sam Winnall
Ikechi Anya
David Nugent
Kyle Mcallister
Chris Weale
Julien De Sart
James Wilson

I would add Shinnie, Jozwiak, Rooney, Marshall, Huddlestone as well

30 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Kamil Jozwiak
Jordon Ibe
Mike Te Wierik
Lee Gregory
George Edmundson
Patrick Roberts
Beni Baningime
Teden Mengi
David Marshall
Colin Kazim-Richards
Henrich Ravas
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Scott Malone
Scott Carson
Graeme Shinnie
Wayne Rooney
Kieran Dowell
Jamie Paterson
Ben Hamer
Martyn Waghorn
Jack Marriott
Florian Jozefzoon
Duane Holmes
Ashley Cole
Andy King
Scott Malone
George Evans
Tom Lawrence
Andre Wisdom
Tom Huddlestone
Cameron Jerome
Curtis Davies
Kasey Palmer
Max Hunt
Sam Winnall
Ikechi Anya
David Nugent
Kyle Mcallister
Chris Weale
Julien De Sart
James Wilson

Very harsh, a lot of those players have been good. Don’t think our signings have been bad compared to other teams, neither do I think they’ve been particularly good. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If it’s just simply thinking ‘great signing’ most clubs would have only a few out of a long list. 
Incidentally, Carson should be marked as great. 

25 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Ha. I remember thinking Andy King could turn out to be a great signing. Played a couple of games, looked really bad, got injured, left.

But yeah I was more after people's idea of which players had turned out to be great signings rather than ones we expected to be

I get that mate, totally. However, it's easy to slight our recruitment based on which signings have turned out to be great after the fact but much harder to guess which will be great at the time - before future unknown factors have had their influence.

Hit or miss. There have been some great signings, some good signings and a lot of poor ones who simply haven't done the job which is to get us into the premier League.

Too often we pay over the odds for players who don't cut the mustard and have no resale value. It is no way to run a football club and that's why we find ourselves in the predicament we do today.

Everybody mentions Brentford but take a look at Norwich since sporting director Stuart Webber joined the club. Unlike Brentford they have actually been promoted to the premier League. Their recruitment over 2 seasons is the reason as to how they did it. Buendia, a top player signed for just 1 million. Pukki a free transfer. Not Jozefzoon for 3 million and Waghorn for 5 million. Some of the stuff we've done is shambolic. 

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Hit or miss. There have been some great signings, some good signings and a lot of poor ones who simply haven't done the job which is to get us into the premier League.

Too often we pay over the odds for players who don't cut the mustard and have no resale value. It is no way to run a football club and that's why we find ourselves in the predicament we do today.

Everybody mentions Brentford but take a look at Norwich since sporting director Stuart Webber joined the club. Unlike Brentford they have actually been promoted to the premier League. Their recruitment over 2 seasons is the reason as to how they did it. Buendia, a top player signed for just 1 million. Pukki a free transfer. Not Jozefzoon for 3 million and Waghorn for 5 million. Some of the stuff we've done is shambolic. 

You need acumen in the transfer market, which we have apparently lacked and hence wasted money. 

You also need good fortune to avoid serious injuries and we haven’t had that either... Thorne, William, Bryson and Bielik being significant casualties for long periods. 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You need acumen in the transfer market, which we have apparently lacked and hence wasted money. 

You also need good fortune to avoid serious injuries and we haven’t had that either... Thorne, William, Bryson and Bielik being significant casualties for long periods.

You also need 2 players in every position. Currently we don't have that, we don't have an adequate replacement for Bielik which is another reason why we suffer so much without him. 

The recruitment of first team playing staff at Derby County has been appalling. When you consider our position in the league, wage bill and money spent then you can't argue otherwise especially over the course of the past six years. 

Now, the players have largely regressed since coming to the club which is another issue in itself. Jozwiak is a much better player for Poland than he's ever shown here, which again should be dissected to why. Mel Morris has hired the wrong people, trusted the wrong people and I think in turn has lost faith in his ability to run the club to a good standard.  

The summer under Paul Clement set this club back a decade. If you're going to spend recklessly then at least make sure you're spending it correctly. We signed awful players on large contracts and we're still very much paying the price today. 

1 hour ago, vonwright said:

Yeah I copied from transfermarkt and didn't catch all the 'returned from loans'. Joz, Malone, Marriott are repeats, Ravas arguably shouldn't be there at all. Apologies (it leaves 45 names)

I think you need to apologise for the clickbait title that had me wetting my boxers with excitement and not stopping to think the transfer window is closed and we've less money than the guy eating seagull droppings and drinking econo-cider on Perranporth beach every day.

Will Smith Reaction GIF 

26 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You also need 2 players in every position. Currently we don't have that, we don't have an adequate replacement for Bielik which is another reason why we suffer so much without him. 

But you don't need 4 players for any position which we've also had from time to time. 

There are many dimensions of mismanagement. 

32 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

GK- Roos/Marshall

LB- Forsyth/Buchanan

CB- Clarke/Edmundson/Wisdom/Mengi

RB- Byrne/Wisdom/McDonald

CDM- Bielik/Shinnie/Baningime

CM- Knight/Bird/Shinnie/Watson

RW- Roberts/Sibley

LW- Jozwiak/Lawrence

ST- Gregory/Waghorn/CKR

that's at least 2 for each position.

i know it's difficult to replace the quality of Bielik but Shinnie/Baningime should be given a chance in that role i think. For sure we will concede more than when we had Bielik but one player missing shouldn't affect the way the team plays. 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

when we signed them, i thought great signing, didn't you?

It doesn't matter how good I thought they were going to be, it matters how good they really were. 

If that's your logic why didn't you put Ibe? you're always banging on about how good he is.

Archived