Harry and Megan Oprah Interview

Day

Think context is all important here. I'm ginger and recently this physical characteristic was used at me along with some other colorful language by a woman who obviously wanted to use it as personal insult (won't go into the nitty gritty but was deliberately used as a personal sleight). So obviously I would have taken offense if I did give a monkey's about the person making the comment which is another matter anyway. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I posted it, and in all honesty if I thought it would of offended anyone I wouldn’t of posted. Never in a million years did I think it would upset anyone, it actually shocked me it did including the reply which I’m still not sure was a joke In itself.

Me positing it is obviously my problem and a problem with my personality/mindset. Living in the modern world is very difficult sometimes. 

I'm not sure how serious you are here, but I sort of agree with it. Jokes are fine until someone takes offense, as I'm sure nobody really wants to offend people by talking about their personal characteristics. David doesn't mind when Boycie jokes about his hair but if he did, I doubt Boycie would want to make the joke anyway. We're mostly not interested in causing offense. Even the shock comedians seem to be more about the shock and less about the offense. We laugh because it's so outrageous, not really because it's funny. 

So for me, when a joke clearly has offended someone, I find it hard to simply dismiss it. I might not agree with it but if it's offending someone I'll likely remove it. Some jokes are offensive but don't upset anyone, which is fine. Some jokes are simply inappropriate and get removed regardless.

Times have changed, and humour that would have been prime time TV viewing 30 years ago just isn't acceptable any more.

As moderators, if we get a joke reported we have to put our personal opinions to one side and put ourselves in the shoes of the person reporting it. Are they seriously offended or are they reporting it for other reasons?

As for it being woke, I think it goes both ways. There's topics that people on both sides of the divide feel inappropriate and complain when they get make fun of. And I don't agree that it's about a cancel culture - nothing stopping you being a comedian with your own material that's on the opposite side of the divide. Problem is, not many people like comedy that punches down. If you feel so strongly about it, start your own comedy club and invite the Lawrence Foxes and Piers Morgans to get involved. Problem seems to be, not that many people want to hear old school, 70s comedy any more so it's not as much being cancelled as just not profitable to pay someone to come out with that type of material. It's a niche market, at best.

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'm not sure how serious you are here

100% serious, I guess like everyone on here I never want to offend anyone. We may disagree and sometimes that gets personal I guess (it shouldn’t but does) but never ever would I want anyone offended. It’s just understanding what those lines are. On this occasion I believed I was miles away from the line, in fact I didn’t even think there was a line for that kind of comment, which as I said it my issue no one else’s. 

On 11/03/2021 at 04:54, David said:

I actually get addressed on the forum as baldie myself from a certain fruity cider drinker, does it offend me? Not a bit, you see I know I’m not only better looking but far more intelligent than he ever will be and I know he’s having a laugh as he texts me all the time thinking he’s my best mate or something.

I must admit, I saw the Ginger joke, had a little chuckle, but then I haven’t been at the butt of them all my life so wouldn’t know how it feels. 

We have a ginger moderator on the forum, I’ve fired a few jokes his way before and I think they were taken in good spirit as he’s still here today.

Boycie has taken his fair share of fat jokes, eating all the sausages over the years, but I know he can give as good as he gets.

Lampard also weirdly gets the fat comments.

However some maybe scarred by genuine bullying throughout their schooling and still touches a nerve to this day, apologies to those that were offended.

Had it been directed at another member personally, between members that we are aware do not get on, I would have removed it, and that’s the tricky part of moderation, trying to find a balance between people being offended v allowing jokes/humour and knowing who happily share banter between each other. 

At the butt of every joke, someone could be offended.

Being bullied at school is no joke, kids are horrible, i would shame  on here the dickwad that used to bully me at school but i doubt he can read and he certainly isn't intelligent enough to be on this mega cool forum. (Rich Thorpe at Swanwick Hall by the way-in case anyone knows him and can post a parcel of crap in his letterbox for me) and I can definitely see how it could scar someone for life..and I am guessing you werent bald when you were 13 years old, when you are older personal insults etc doenst really bother you, but as a kid, its the end of the world.

great post though....although I am VERY worried that you gave out your number to a deviant...

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Being bullied at school is no joke, kids are horrible, i would shame  on here the dickwad that used to bully me at school but i doubt he can read and he certainly isn't intelligent enough to be on this mega cool forum. (Rich Thorpe at Swanwick Hall by the way-in case anyone knows him and can post a parcel of crap in his letterbox for me) and I can definitely see how it could scar someone for life..and I am guessing you werent bald when you were 13 years old, when you are older personal insults etc doenst really bother you, but as a kid, its the end of the world.

great post though....although I am VERY worried that you gave out your number to a deviant...

I wouldn’t say you become immune when you get older, some men can have a real tough time accepting hair loss. 

My mate went down the Regaine and then tablets path, really hit him hard. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

I wouldn’t say you become immune when you get older, some men can have a real tough time accepting hair loss. 

I believe our manager has also been fighting that battle too..!?

dont worry son, i still love you, with or without hair.

2 hours ago, David said:

Always strikes me that if the future Kings of England with all their power and wealth cant prevent hair loss then any medication doesn't work. 

33 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Always strikes me that if the future Kings of England with all their power and wealth cant prevent hair loss then any medication doesn't work. 

And that was my point to him, you see all these multi millionaires, even William staying slightly on topic, if they can't get a decent thatch back on their heads, what chance do I stand?

It's mostly genetics, not a lot you can do about it really, to be honest it has it's upsides, no need to do your hair and that. I'm not bald bald yet

Having a red-haired mother and black haired (now bald) father, I have discovered that as I get older my beard is increasingly a mixture of dark, silver and orange. 

Which has prompted Mrs VdM to start referring to me as "tabby" if I am unshaven...... 

Sounds like I should be referring her for bullying...... ?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Having a red-haired mother and black haired (now bald) father, I have discovered that as I get older my beard is increasingly a mixture of dark, silver and orange. 

Which has prompted Mrs VdM to start referring to me as "tabby" if I am unshaven...... 

Sounds like I should be referring her for bullying...... ?

Being called Tabby is probably more a term of affection, but if you ever hear her talking to a vet about neutering procedures, then you should definitely be calling her out over her bullying. 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Being called Tabby is probably more a term of affection, but if you ever hear her talking to a vet about neutering procedures, then you should definitely be calling her out over her bullying. 

Trust me, there's little discernible affection in anything hurled in my direction by Mrs VdM...?

The monarchy is a feudal anachronism. The trouble is the English are either too polite or too servile to have a revolution.
Or both.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The monarchy is a feudal anachronism. The trouble is the English are either too polite or too servile to have a revolution.
Or both.

There's still time. There are plenty of people who are revolting.

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

True, but will normal folk rise up and overthrow them?

Steady on, you are forgetting that fact that the royals bring us billions each year from tourism alone.

Every year millions of visitors from overseas swarm to the UK, eager to see the place where Prince Edward got married, or those gates in Windsor park that Andrew inpatiently rammed his car into.

People round the world adore our lovely royals. Do you want to be the one who tells those traders on Oxford Street that people are no longer buy their stunning royal merch? Or tell the masterchefs at Angus Steakhouses that their beautiful food will remain unsold, even at their completely fair prices?

All these foreign tourists flock the UK because we have a living royal family. We have such a high opinion of them that this is a highly believed myth, yet we have such a low opinion of ourselves that with think people would stop coming without them.

Archived