RIP Mickey Lewis

admira

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very sad.

he was a solid holding midfield player who liked to tackle, part of the Eric Steele, Charlie Palmer, rob hindmarch era.

He came from West Brom probably on the recommendation of super scout Ron Jukes and was shortly followed by Michael forsyth. Subsequently Steve Bull was also recommended also from West Brom reserves, but Arthur had just signed Phil Gee and David Penney also on the recommendation of Jukes.

mickey lewis a popular player. He eventually lost his place to Geraint Williams. I remember interrupting his boogie to get his autograph at the end of season player of the year awards at the assembly rooms., the year we won promotion to the first division.

arthur cox once said he was “the best player at the club when the opposition had the ball”, which didn’t really sound like a compliment but was certainly intended as one.

RIP Mickey Lewis.

5DE9BCA6-4326-43E2-89D6-2AC85ABB6279.thumb.jpeg.bd476c5941da57a41ce491735fc228c5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Charlie George said:

Hard as nails was Mickey. Memory might be playing tricks with me,but remember him smashing Steve McMahon at The Baseball Ground. 

I remember that well, but not as well as McMahon. He was a passenger for the rest of the game, was probably looking over his shoulder wondering where Mickey was.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Subsequently Steve Bull was also recommended also from West Brom reserves, but Arthur had just signed Phil Gee and David Penney also on the recommendation of Jukes.

Never knew that. Huge turning point in Black Country football. And how would Bull's career have changed if he'd been in the top division with us.

2 hours ago, C-stand said:

I remember that well, but not as well as McMahon. He was a passenger for the rest of the game, was probably looking over his shoulder wondering where Mickey was.

My fav memory of Mickey. McMahon never went 5 yards away from the ref all match moaning about being given some of his own treatment. RIP Mickey big hearted player 

4 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Hard as nails was Mickey. Memory might be playing tricks with me,but remember him smashing Steve McMahon at The Baseball Ground. 

I prefered his tackle on John Barnes, the McMahon tackle is at 5.20.

RIP Miickey we remember you fondly.

Archived