Lesser known footy facts...

Mucker1884

On 07/03/2021 at 22:43, uttoxram75 said:

I can confirm that as a fact.

I was in London the night before our play off final victory at the new Wembley (incidentally, a place our local rivals, Notts forest, have never played at).

We met some Yeovil supporters in a pub near Euston Station drowning their sorrows and brought them drinks and had a jolly good sing song with them. 

My second team to this day.

As it is mine. Being born there tipped it for me but I actually stood at the old Huish with grandpa MoodHoover even before I got to see the Rams... ?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't hold the record for least number of Premiership games where a point or 3 was won. 9 games 2007-2008 Derby and 9 games Sunderland 2005-2006. It's a joint record (unless someone knows better).

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/282/2007-2008-Premier-League-Stats

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/183/2005-2006-Premiership-Stats

Looking at it, Kenny Miller was top scorer with 4 but Sunderlands two highest scorers were on 3 so that's one we don't hold!

In 1986 West Ham United legend Alvin Martin was the first to score a hat trick against three different keepers in an 8-1 home win against Newcastle United. Martin scored first against Martin Thomas, then Chris Hedworth and finally Peter Beardsley. First two went off injured which left Martin to score the last of his three goals from the penalty spot against Beardsley.

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

As it is mine. Being born there tipped it for me but I actually stood at the old Huish with grandpa MoodHoover even before I got to see the Rams... ?

I saw them lose to Stafford Rangers in the FA Trophy Semi-Final in 1972, a mate of my dads took us to this game, it was at Oxford and Stafford won 4-0. For some reason I always looked out for Yeovil's results even before they did the gumps.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

How to lose all credibility: I only recently realised you cannot be offside from a goal kick. I always thought it was Martin being too lazy to run back. Always assumed offside was never blown because he never got the ball.

As well as a throw-in or corner.

On 15/03/2021 at 16:10, Baj said:

In 1986 West Ham United legend Alvin Martin was the first to score a hat trick against three different keepers in an 8-1 home win against Newcastle United. Martin scored first against Martin Thomas, then Chris Hedworth and finally Peter Beardsley. First two went off injured which left Martin to score the last of his three goals from the penalty spot against Beardsley.

I was at that game, in the Newcastle end. It was a bit tasty as a few years before someone had got hit in the face with a firework at the game in Newcastle. West Ham away was pretty scary back in the day, and getting chased for being a Newcastle fan was just not my idea of a good day out - irrespective of the score.

On 15/03/2021 at 13:10, Mucker1884 said:

If I recall correctly (not got time to check) we won the away leg 1-4... and scored all 5 goals there, too!  (Roy Mac OG, was it?)  

We were 9-0 up at half time in the home game, the match is on YouTube and their keeper needed shooting - he just keeps throwing the ball to Archie Gemmill.

On 06/03/2021 at 12:20, David said:

Notts Forest have won the European Cup twice

Forest and Malmo are the two smallest clubs - I assume based on attendances- to reach the European cup final- sods law the gumps were fortunate they played each other. They also had the fortune of playing Dynamo Berlin in the quarter final, who now play in the fourth tier of German football and won practically every match they contested by the East German authority instructing the ref to ensure they won or paying him off.

In many ways the winning the title in the first year after promotion was much more impressive.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

We were 9-0 up at half time in the home game, the match is on YouTube and their keeper needed shooting - he just keeps throwing the ball to Archie Gemmill.

I was there (for the home leg)... but I can't deny, the memory is a little hazy.

Probably still stunned to this day, after seeing so many goals in one game!  (Next highest was the 8-2 v Spurs!)  :-)

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For those who fancy a bit of a giggle

Hey!  This was the proper UEFA Cup!  Unlike now, it was serious stuff back then!  It mattered!  It commanded respect!

There were tears from this particular poster when we went out to AEK in the next round!  

We'll have no giggling at all, thank you very much!    

?

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The scouting team at Manure recommended a young player on the books at Cannes named Zinedine to Ferguson. Turned him down on the ground that he wasnt strong enough for the PL. Signed for Bordeaux instead for 2M, built like an Ox, he could play a bit. 

Jim Smith did the same at Birmingham when they had Maradona on trial.

75 years ago today, Derby County played (and beat) Birmingham City in the FA Cup Semi Final Replay, in front of 80, 407, at Maine Rd, Manchester... which unless I'm very much mistaken, still remains the biggest midweek attendance outside of Wembley, for a domestic match between two English clubs.  

*Shame we weren't playing Leeds, as the attendance would have been even bigger!  ?

On 08/03/2021 at 14:13, BaaLocks said:

For those who care - which also means that Derby County were the first team to top the Football League give our 6-3 victory would have put us top on goal scored above goal difference.

On the opening day of that inaugural season West Bromwich Albion beat Stoke 2-0, Preston defeated Burnley by five goals to two, Derby won 6-3 at Bolton and Everton beat Accrington 2-1. The final fixture of the five that were played on that historic Saturday was a 1-1 draw between Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

For many years it was widely assumed that the first goal scored in the Football League was an own goal by Aston Villa’s defender Gershom Cox, who put the ball into his own net thirty minutes into the game at Wolves. Research by Boyling and Matcalf revealed that that game didn’t start until 3.30pm, though, meaning that the goal wouldn’t have been scored until 4pm.

Other people have long argued that it was actually Fred Dewhurst, the Preston North End striker, who scored the first goal, with his strike against Burnley coming after just three minutes of the match at Deepdale. That game didn’t kick-off until 3.50pm, however, with Bolton’s game against Derby County starting at 3.45pm. Bolton winger Kenny Davenport scored after two minutes in that game, meaning that his was the first ever goal scored in a Football League match.

With Everton’s home game against Accrington kicking off at 4.25pm and Stoke v West Bromwich Albion starting at 3.30pm, we now know that there were actually two games that can be classed as ‘the first games of the football league’. Stoke against West Brom and Wolves versus Villa hold that distinction and go alongside Davenport in the history books as being the ‘firsts’ of the Football League.

It would, except that the league worked on goal average rather than goal difference. That's goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded. Preston's goal average in their 5-2 win would have put them top, sadly. The early beginnings of the EFL's vendetta against us...

While we're on the subject of goal average, until recently - last ten years or so - the Argentinian top flight was the only top flight league in the world still stubbornly using GA. That's quite mental considering that on the very first day of professional football, the league table showed a serious flaw in the method!

Archived