Lesser known footy facts...

Mucker1884

49 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Derby County conceded the first ever goal scored in professional football - scored by Bolton Wanderers winger Kenny Davenport. 

For those who care - which also means that Derby County were the first team to top the Football League give our 6-3 victory would have put us top on goal scored above goal difference.

On the opening day of that inaugural season West Bromwich Albion beat Stoke 2-0, Preston defeated Burnley by five goals to two, Derby won 6-3 at Bolton and Everton beat Accrington 2-1. The final fixture of the five that were played on that historic Saturday was a 1-1 draw between Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

For many years it was widely assumed that the first goal scored in the Football League was an own goal by Aston Villa’s defender Gershom Cox, who put the ball into his own net thirty minutes into the game at Wolves. Research by Boyling and Matcalf revealed that that game didn’t start until 3.30pm, though, meaning that the goal wouldn’t have been scored until 4pm.

Other people have long argued that it was actually Fred Dewhurst, the Preston North End striker, who scored the first goal, with his strike against Burnley coming after just three minutes of the match at Deepdale. That game didn’t kick-off until 3.50pm, however, with Bolton’s game against Derby County starting at 3.45pm. Bolton winger Kenny Davenport scored after two minutes in that game, meaning that his was the first ever goal scored in a Football League match.

With Everton’s home game against Accrington kicking off at 4.25pm and Stoke v West Bromwich Albion starting at 3.30pm, we now know that there were actually two games that can be classed as ‘the first games of the football league’. Stoke against West Brom and Wolves versus Villa hold that distinction and go alongside Davenport in the history books as being the ‘firsts’ of the Football League.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

St John's Wood is the only football club in England without any letters in the word MACKEREL in their name

Coincidentally, Swindon Town is the only tube station on the London Underground without in the word MACKEREL in it's name

(I know btw, I did it on purpose)

On a similar vein, Hull City is the only football league club that you can fill in at least one of its letters. 

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Liverpool football club are currently in their worst run at home ever in their entire history ever ever ever. (and havent won the league for 32 years)

I've heard that the chap who presses the crowd cheering button at Anfield when Liverpool score has been furloughed......

Giuseppe Bergomi played in four World Cups but did not appear in ANY qualifiers. The former Inter defender played for Italy at the 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1998 World Cups without exerting himself in any qualifiers. As an 18-year-old he was a late addition to the side in 1982, then the team qualified as holders in 1986, while Italy were the hosts in 1990. In 1998, at the age of 34, he was a late and surprising call up to the squad.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

The opposite to that is Liverpool were the first to win it without fielding a single English player in 1986.

I'm sure if they couldn't play any English players it was someone else's fault. 

On 05/03/2021 at 21:13, Tyler Durden said:

West Broms The Hawthorns is the highest football ground above sea level in terms of all of the Premiership and football league clubs.

Despite Wolves being their number one rivals Aston Villa's ground is nearest to The Hawthorns than Molyneux by several miles. 

Buxton FC's ground, the Silverlands, is the highest ground in England at 1,000 feet above sea level  (and it's bloody cold), albeit not in the football league. I believe the Hawthorns is about 600 feet above sea level.

4 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Buxton FC's ground, the Silverlands, is the highest ground in England at 1,000 feet above sea level  (and it's bloody cold), albeit not in the football league. I believe the Hawthorns is about 600 feet above sea level.

They had snow at a cricket match there, June 1975 I think.