Lesser known footy facts...

Mucker1884

In light of my recent boast that I already knew the exact number for our record attendance, I thought I'd start something like this...

Interesting or otherwise.
DCFC or any other club.
Knew it already, or Googled it.
Footy trivia that may not matter, but may bring a smile, a grimace, or even a hoorah!

What do you know?  What footy related titbits will get our juices flowing?  Make us go "Ooh and aah", if not "Cantona"!

I'll start us off with what I believe is fact... but stand to be corrected (and embarrassed!)

Charlton are the only team to reach the FA Cup Final, having lost in a previous round...

The 45/46 season was all two leg matches*, and Charlton lost 2-1 at Fulham in the 3rd round second leg.  Luckily for them, they had already won the first leg 3-1 at home, and went through on aggregate, where they eventually faced (and lost to, of course) The Mighty Rams in the '46 final.

So... What do others know?  ?  

*EDIT:
I tell a lie... The semi finals were not two legs... but we needed a replay to overcome Brum!  Close but no cigar!  Sorry!

Edited by Mucker1884

38 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

In light of my recent boast that I already knew the exact number for our record attendance, I thought I'd start something like this...

Interesting or otherwise.
DCFC or any other club.
Knew it already, or Googled it.
Footy trivia that may not matter, but may bring a smile, a grimace, or even a hoorah!

What do you know?  What footy related titbits will get our juices flowing?  Make us go "Ooh and aah", if not "Cantona"!

I'll start us off with what I believe is fact... but stand to be corrected (and embarrassed!)

Charlton are the only team to reach the FA Cup Final, having lost in a previous round...

The 45/46 season was all two leg matches*, and Charlton lost 2-1 at Fulham in the 3rd round second leg.  Luckily for them, they had already won the first leg 3-1 at home, and went through on aggregate, where they eventually faced (and lost to, of course) The Mighty Rams in the '46 final.

So... What do others know?  ?  

*EDIT:
I tell a lie... The semi finals were not two legs... but we needed a replay to overcome Brum!  Close but no cigar!  Sorry!

Derby 4 Charlton 1. Realise now there was extra time. 0-0 until about 5 mins from end, Charlton player scores an og for Derby, the same player then scores Charlton's equaliser, then 3 Derby goals in extra time.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Portsmouth have the distinction of being the football club which has held the FA Cup for the longest uninterrupted period - seven years!

Surprised?  ?

See if you can work out how/why, before Googling it!  

I'm guessing they won it before the war, so they held it from 1939 until we won it in 1946

Always thought a good pub quiz question would be: What football club did all 4 of Peter Shilton, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney represent?

Of course, we all know the answer, but it’s a bit random that 4 of England’s most capped ever players all held a role, on or off the pitch, at a club like Derby County! Suspect that will stump a few in years to come...

Sith Happens

Notts Forest are officially the worst team in premier league history having finished bottom the most times. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Always thought a good pub quiz question would be: What football club did all 4 of Peter Shilton, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney represent?

Of course, we all know the answer, but it’s a bit random that 4 of England’s most capped ever players all held a role, on or off the pitch, at a club like Derby County! Suspect that will stump a few in years to come...

As you are talking about England legends why not add nick Pickering to the list ?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

West Broms The Hawthorns is the highest football ground above sea level in terms of all of the Premiership and football league clubs.

Despite Wolves being their number one rivals Aston Villa's ground is nearest to The Hawthorns than Molyneux by several miles. 

No idea whether this still holds true, but back in my teens, I recall reading that WBA & The Rams held the equal record for the least miles travelled for a season of away matches (ground to ground).

I've no idea whether that is still true.
I've no idea whether that was all divisions, or just top flight.
I've no idea what the actual mileage was.
I really can't be 4r5ed to check any of that out!

#half fact  ?