The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think important principles are things like decency and fairness. Starmer has this, Johnson is the opposite.

Political principles are important too, but getting things done is about compromise and listening.

Maybe Starmer's principles are co-operation and nuance. Perhaps not as exciting as undeliverable bold promises, but might be more effective.

You obviously have a bit of faith in starmer and see something different to me and that’s ok , it s why we all vote differently, sadly after watching him operate I just see another ruthless get to where he wants to be merchant prepared to throw anything and anyone under the bus to get there??‍♂️

I just want a situation where politicians rediscover the fact that they are there to represent those that voted for them not impose they’re will on them and know they will be out quick smart if they don’t , perhaps PR comes along and we see things changing towards that situation but for now the only answer I can see is for those that have given up voting to actually come out and vote for parties other than the two horse candidates, are those that don’t vote now in the majority or pretty close to it?

Politicians and principles when did these 2 get married, A 3 line whip brings those who have principles into line, Vote against you're party and you're oooooot, £85k a year, Housed, Expenses, Jolley's galore, Go against you're party and you go independent and at the next election you'd need a bag of miracles to win but a pension for life aint so bad aye.

We live in a Democracy as we get to vote for an MP, Once the election is over we're verging but not quite there being an Autocracy, One person rule, Who's advisors coerce, Cajole, Lie to suck up to their paymaster, Those in the Cabinet are pretty much nodding donkeys so they can keep their chauffer driven cars.

The electorate in general but not inclusive vote on class or in BJs case something different, The Red Wall falling to the Blues...soon to go Red at the next GE, No doubt in my mind the Tories have the biggest fight on their hands to hold onto power, We've seen this last 13 years on snakeness, Slithering cretins sucking the life out of the Tax Payer...I wasn't going to vote in the next GE but if Lucifer is on the Ballot he/she has mine X

35 minutes ago, Archied said:

You obviously have a bit of faith in starmer and see something different to me and that’s ok , it s why we all vote differently, sadly after watching him operate I just see another ruthless get to where he wants to be merchant prepared to throw anything and anyone under the bus to get there??‍♂️

Or perhaps he comes from a relitavely modest background and has worked really hard his whole life, becoming a barrister, then director of public prosecutions. He's clearly highly intelligent and hasn't had everything given to him on a plate.

Contrast this to the likes of Lee Anderson. Used to be Labour. Is now Tory. Constants spouts off controversial statements that make him sound thick and entirely without empathy or nuance. Was recorded telling his mate to pretend he didn't know him when he knocked on his door before an election. Could be the next leader of the Conseratives when they return about 10 MPs. If they are luck enough to avoid Johnson again.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Or perhaps he comes from a relitavely modest background and has worked really hard his whole life, becoming a barrister, then director of public prosecutions. He's clearly highly intelligent and hasn't had everything given to him on a plate.

Contrast this to the likes of Lee Anderson. Used to be Labour. Is now Tory. Constants spouts off controversial statements that make him sound thick and entirely without empathy or nuance. Was recorded telling his mate to pretend he didn't know him when he knocked on his door before an election. Could be the next leader of the Conseratives when they return about 10 MPs. If they are luck enough to avoid Johnson again.

Or perhaps he also had parents who worked they’re ass off to give him the jump to get to where he is today along with no doubt working very hard himself but make no mistake it’s a very different kind of work in a very different environment surrounded by very different people ,, not all but a lot of those people lose touch fast and have no real idea of what it’s like to be working class but claim it as a badge of honour , did you know rishi had parents who were pharmacists , not sure he’s mentioned it ????

my daughter went to uni and is a teacher, very academic and doing her masters now , my son not academic in the slightest has worked with me since age 15 when I took him out of school because he was the victim of terrible bullying which despite our massive efforts the school would not or could not sort out ,,, he was in a real state and going downhill fast , short of going round and giving kids a clip and doing the same to parents there was bugger all option left , he’s a big muscular lad now and confident enough to never put up with that ever again but retains the qualities of being a really nice caring young man,

all that said our two kids are very very different because of this , I love my daughter to bits but she has an entitlement and view on life that is extremely hard to understand where as my boy has a real grasp on how money is produced and what blue collar people have to put in to earn it 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Looks like we might soon be mandated to wear disposable gloves when touching toilet seats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64976183

People being urged to take gonorrhoea tests as cases rise.

So is a Gonorrhea-infected toilet going to be officially known as a clap-trap. or shall I get me coat?

Edited by Crewton

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

So is a Gonorrhea-infected toilet going to be officially known as a clap-trap. or shall I get me coat?

My dad used to tell a joke. I think it was one of his favourites as I heard it a few times.

It was about a bloke who was told by his doctor that he had gonorrhoea. The bloke replied that he could only have caught it off a toilet seat. The doctor replied that was possible, but only if he had bit the seat as it was his gums that were infected. 

14 hours ago, i-Ram said:

My dad used to tell a joke. I think it was one of his favourites as I heard it a few times.

It was about a bloke who was told by his doctor that he had gonorrhoea. The bloke replied that he could only have caught it off a toilet seat. The doctor replied that was possible, but only if he had bit the seat as it was his gums that were infected. 

I used to own an NSU that went like the clappers.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Really good joke but I only laughed after reading two articles on Google about NSU (the motor vehicle) and NSU (the STI). You don’t have those kind of problems with a Jimmy Carr construct. 

The classic NSU had a Wankel rotary engine of course, but I haven't yet constructed a viable gag out of that fact.....

Thank goodness a former covid advisor to the Scottish government is here to provide an entirely objective opinion. Her solution, give the government more money and more control over how you live. I never would've seen it coming.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Thank goodness a former covid advisor to the Scottish government is here to provide an entirely objective opinion. Her solution, give the government more money and more control over how you live. I never would've seen it coming.

Well it wasn't so much that bit I found interesting - more the suggestion that if we weren't such an unhealthy nation of fat barstewards and we had a bit less rampant inequality/poverty then we might have got away without such stringent lockdown measures

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Well it wasn't so much that bit I found interesting - more the suggestion that if we weren't such an unhealthy nation of fat barstewards and we had a bit less rampant inequality/poverty then we might have got away without such stringent lockdown measures

But the young fit and healthy were locked down too even though it was clear early on that apart from a very few with health issues the average age of deaths was above the average life expectancy, don’t you remember everyone was locked down to protect the old and few vulnerable, it’s amazing how memories are fading over what was done to the population and the ludicrous supposed science backing it 

Edited by Archied

On 20/03/2023 at 15:04, Archied said:

But the young fit and healthy were locked down too even though it was clear early on that apart from a very few with health issues the average age of deaths was above the average life expectancy, don’t you remember everyone was locked down to protect the old and few vulnerable, it’s amazing how memories are fading over what was done to the population and the ludicrous supposed science backing it 

That was kind of my my point

• 1 month later...