The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Don't know if you saw in the news yesterday an interesting breakthrough for those people suffering with Long Covid.

They have dicovered that for some people the virus continues to live and thrive in the brain for many months after the initial covid infection.  This seems to be the cause of the Long Covid symptoms commonly reported... Things like fatigue, brain fog, loss of taste and other neurological issues.

Whilst we are a long way from having any treatment, scientists now at least know where to start in developing an effective treatment for this condition.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I already gave care workers as an example ,,, but you really are not able to see beyond your own blinker s,

the country is is a mess made far worse by stupid covid measures 

Peoble are really struggling     NURSES ARE NOT A SPECIAL CASE

ordinary working class person here not wanting ordinary working class people to have better standard of living ?????

seems to me perhaps some public sector employees don’t give a stuff if they’re demands make private sector people s lives worse off who are often on worse condition s and salaries than they are already 

I did 10 years in the public sector.  7 years with no payrise and the closure of offices whilst the private sector was blooming with 9-10% pay rises.  Not sure where your getting this from.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I did 10 years in the public sector.  7 years with no payrise and the closure of offices whilst the private sector was blooming with 9-10% pay rises.  Not sure where your getting this from.

When and in what job , what private sector are you comparing with at the time?

1 minute ago, Archied said:

When and in what job , what private sector are you comparing with at the time?

Engineering for one.  My mate at Royces had a a regular pay increase for a number of years.  In fact he's just had another 9% which greatly pissed off another mate at the same place who got less, despite his department securing the additional percentage by not accepting a previous offer.

36 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Engineering for one.  My mate at Royces had a a regular pay increase for a number of years.  In fact he's just had another 9% which greatly pissed off another mate at the same place who got less, despite his department securing the additional percentage by not accepting a previous offer.

What job did you do

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not me mate.  One is in nuclear, the other has something to with plane blades.

RR Nuclear...Raynesway, RR...TBF Wilmore Road , The TBF and Nuclear are ringfenced and have their own Union Convenor, The Civil arm held out for more and had a mandate for strike action PCF maybe where your mate works...hence 9% pay increase back dated from Jan 2022  

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

"More"? That's highly subjective. It's also dumb to conflate two groups of essential workers and say "A's demands are unreasonable because B are more deserving", particularly when B's employers are largely in the private sector and A are largely employed by the public sector. 

Pay them both more or face a critical shortage that will cost lives. That's the choice.

Recent research revealed that care workers were paid on average £8k less than their equivalent in the NHS. One of the problems is in a&e ambulances stacking up due to lack of hospital beds. And hospitals cannot discharge elderly patients to free up beds without social care in place. 

as for being “dumb” to conflate sectors health and care not at all they should absolutely be compared because in every possible way the health sector squeezes out the care sector . Social care is provided by local authorities for those who cannot afford to pay. But in any case why should private sector workers be paid less than those in the public sector.

Edited by PistoldPete

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Don't know if you saw in the news yesterday an interesting breakthrough for those people suffering with Long Covid.

They have dicovered that for some people the virus continues to live and thrive in the brain for many months after the initial covid infection.  This seems to be the cause of the Long Covid symptoms commonly reported... Things like fatigue, brain fog, loss of taste and other neurological issues.

Whilst we are a long way from having any treatment, scientists now at least know where to start in developing an effective treatment for this condition.

Terrific effort to steer the thread back on topic!

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

off the top of my head 06-12 time. 

So with hmrc roughly 06- 12 and no pay increase ?

if so was it under a labour gov ? On quick checking I’m not seeing a 7 year pay freeze though??‍♂️,please enlighten ,

any deals done regards better pensions to accept smaller or deferred rises ?

Edited by Archied

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

So with hmrc roughly 06- 12 and no pay increase ?

if so was it under a labour gov ? On quick checking I’m not seeing a 7 year pay freeze though??‍♂️,please enlighten ,

any deals done regards better pensions to accept smaller or deferred rises ?

two years of nothing.  2 years of 2% but for staff on less than me. a year of 1% .  Again not applying to me. Two years of 2% .  Not applying to me as I was outsourced to an adjudicators office.  Basically for those bottom of the pay scale.

No better pension . In fact the government went to court to get the rules changed to increase staff contribution by 3% and make the pension age 67 not 60.  Initially, it was thrown out by the same review panel whose word is apparently sacrosanct when it comes to pay and the government passed it over to Philip Green who agreed with them.  Yes that Philip Green. 

It was under a labour government.  A tory government then changed the redundancy rules and decimated them.  I believe in none of them . I tried lib dem once and they power shared and got rid of the only policy I voted for. 

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

two years of nothing.  2 years of 2% but for staff on less than me. a year of 1% .  Again not applying to me. Two years of 2% .  Not applying to me as I was outsourced to an adjudicators office.  Basically for those bottom of the pay scale.

No better pension . In fact the government went to court to get the rules changed to increase staff contribution by 3% and make the pension age 67 not 60.  Initially, it was thrown out by the same review panel whose word is apparently sacrosanct when it comes to pay and the government passed it over to Philip Green who agreed with them.  Yes that Philip Green. 

It was under a labour government.  A tory government then changed the redundancy rules and decimated them.  I believe in none of them . I tried lib dem once and they power shared and got rid of the only policy I voted for. 

Well it appears we very much agree on our 3 main parties , the bit where I go further and am getting stick for is I now ( have for some time too) have the same disdain for so called unions who in reality just target ordinary decent people to hold to ransom and the nhs is NOT what it was , our nurses were never people who would strike and put lives at risk demanding 19% 

Our  nurses were special and held that place in the nations hearts , not anymore ,though that said I fully believe there are a great many nurses who do not want this strike action and I hold them in the utmost respect and affection 

It’s a mess and I don’t know the answer , well I do but it involves not wasting billions on windmills , wars , aid to countries with they’re own space programs ffs , millions spent on diversity rubbish jobs for the boys ect ect ect but let’s be honest I will be slated for that too

Edited by Archied

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Our  nurses were special and held that place in the nations hearts , not anymore ,though that said I fully believe there are a great many nurses who do not want this strike action and I hold them in the utmost respect and affection 

You need to get out of your bubble :

"Almost two in three voters would back NHS nurses taking more strike action next year if their pay demands are not met, the Savanta poll found, with only 24 per cent opposed."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/strikes-nhs-nurses-sunak-poll-b2249524.html

Nurses have been driven to strike by a cynical government who paid them in claps while handing out billions to £1 companies owned by their mates. It's that disrespect that has radicalised many. 

42 minutes ago, Crewton said:

"Almost two in three voters would back NHS nurses taking more strike action next year if their pay demands are not met, the Savanta poll found, with only 24 per cent opposed."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/strikes-nhs-nurses-sunak-poll-b2249524.html

Nurses have been driven to strike by a cynical government who paid them in claps while handing out billions to £1 companies owned by their mates. It's that disrespect that has radicalised many. 

No I don’t need to get out of any bubble , no I’m not angry, no I’m not unhappy with my life choices , no I’m not deluded ,,, any more guff you need to throw around because I don’t fall in line with your views ????

nurses have been treated no worse than the vast majority of ordinary working folk in this country and in fact are in a far better position salary , pension ,perks , job security wise than a very great number of ordinary decent people in this country who by the way are the ones mostly hurt by this ludicrous 19% garbage , 

if you want to see the poorer ( poorer than bloody nurses ) given 19% pay rises across the board and a sorting out of the inequity’s, corruption , stupidity and greed then I’m all for it ,,

clapping? This country is full of covid hero’s that aren’t/ wernt given a second thought never mind clapped ,

so you can take your special case romantic clap trap and poke it , nurses are not a special case suffering more than most and no more deserving of a decent living and respect than others in far worse position s

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Paid them in claps? Were they not receiving their salaries for doing their jobs then?