The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

34 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Apply for a job at with the NHS and get yourself a massive salary for sitting on the bog reading the paper and smoking 20 fags, never ending sick leave and one of these gold plated pensions allowing you to buy a beach front condo in Florida you keep reading about.  

Countless staff who work there are on ad hoc contracts that pay the living wage- was minimum till 3 years ago and SSP.

Sarcasm doesnt suit you.

Tell you something though if my sickness rate was at the same rate as the NHS average I would expect to be out of a job.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or maybe stop spending £40m a year on 'diversity and inclusion' staff?

Certainly stop spending silly amounts of money on those roles for sure. As an example these two roles were advertised recently in the Derbyshire trust. I looked at both job descriptions and they were essentially just one job split into 2 BS roles for no real reason.  With 2 crazy high salaries to match. How on earth can even one of these jobs be 3 times more valuable than a nurse?

IMG-20221118-WA0002.jpg

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't want to join a union.

I take pride in my attendance record.

You've obviously been fortunate enough not to have poor health or a serious accident then, or a job that doesn't put an unreasonable strain on your body or mind. Easy Street is a great gig if you can find it. 

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

You've obviously been fortunate enough not to have poor health or a serious accident then, or a job that doesn't put an unreasonable strain on your body or mind. Easy Street is a great gig if you can find it. 

There’s plenty of people far from on easy street who either take pride in they’re work ethic ( I include plenty of nurses in that ) or have no choice but to get into work when a bit stressed or not in great shape ,

we have lost a lot of that work ethic these days and that’s a shame 

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Yeah, good old Unions making sure the Postpersons don’t have problems having to walk up and down Easy Street.

Why do we try to pride ourselves on being expected to work when ill, when mentally we aren't able, and when the job is literally killing us? 

Why do we talk down the idea of unions defending physical and mental health? 

I don't see the sense in saying, I'm killing myself, you all should be doing the same. 

Workers are racing to the bottom and taking pride in winning the race. 

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Why do we try to pride ourselves on being expected to work when ill, when mentally we aren't able, and when the job is literally killing us? 

Why do we talk down the idea of unions defending physical and mental health? 

I don't see the sense in saying, I'm killing myself, you all should be doing the same. 

Workers are racing to the bottom and taking pride in winning the race. 

You see there’s value in what you are saying but also no balance ,, there’s a middle ground and nothing wrong in pointing out there are plenty that skive at the drop of a hat

1 minute ago, Archied said:

You see there’s value in what you are saying but also no balance ,, there’s a middle ground and nothing wrong in pointing out there are plenty that skive at the drop of a hat

Every organisation has a policy around attendance. If they aren't applying it, who's fault is it? 

Is it the people who are off sick? 

Is it the unions? 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Every organisation has a policy around attendance. If they aren't applying it, who's fault is it? 

Is it the people who are off sick? 

Is it the unions? 

In part , yes ,,, have you seen how hard it is to get rid of rogue staff who take the p ,, and yes that very much happens 

36 minutes ago, Archied said:

In part , yes ,,, have you seen how hard it is to get rid of rogue staff who take the p ,, and yes that very much happens 

Not very hard at all, to be honest. For the first two years you pretty much have no grounds for defence against termination (discrimination apart). And I know you aren't suggesting that people with disabilities are terminated because of them. 

5 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Yeah, good old Unions making sure the Postpersons don’t have problems having to walk up and down Easy Street.

Our regular Postie has Crohn's Disease and works his current round because he's never more than 15 minutes walk from a bog. Being in a Union means that when he has a serious flare-up, he doesn't have to worry that his Employer will use it as an excuse to make him redundant. 

I've never been in a Union, but I know that without them ordinary working people, including my ancestors, would never have been granted the rights and protections that have improved their lot since the late 19th century. 

Still, you keep tugging on that ladder if it makes you happy. 

30 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Our regular Postie has Crohn's Disease and works his current round because he's never more than 15 minutes walk from a bog. Being in a Union means that when he has a serious flare-up, he doesn't have to worry that his Employer will use it as an excuse to make him redundant. 

I've never been in a Union, but I know that without them ordinary working people, including my ancestors, would never have been granted the rights and protections that have improved their lot since the late 19th century. 

Still, you keep tugging on that ladder if it makes you happy. 

Only a total fool or an over privileged galloot with no real life experience would question the great value that unions have brought over the last 100 years or so but by the same token only a fool would fail to see that they have very often been infiltrated by people with political agendas who have harmed them and harmed the very people they are meant to protect,

im sure you don’t get that because I read your posts and you only see one side as with the nurses debate you cannot accept that whether you believe they deserve better than they have at the moment , they are not a special case , there are many many ordinary people suffering at least as much and many in even worse positions,

I’ve worked all my life , my parents did too but I also grew up around some family and lots of people who have totally gamed and milked the system and until we are able to have an honest open debate about ALL the problems we have created in our society nothing will ever change ,

and before you say it I’m not unhappy with my life , I’m not rich by any stretch but I consider myself reasonably lucky ,we have a relatively decent life style , worked hard and built a decent little business but I know lots of people who work extremely hard and never have two pennies to rub together 

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Not very hard at all, to be honest. For the first two years you pretty much have no grounds for defence against termination (discrimination apart). And I know you aren't suggesting that people with disabilities are terminated because of them. 

Maybe we just have different life experiences, I have know people with disabilities desperate to work , proud to work and work very hard but I also have experience of people claiming disability and long term illness who are just lazy,

A long line of governments have fostered a dependency culture through either agenda or stupidity ( take your pick which ) ,

living on benefits should not be a life choice , there should be no such thing as unemployment benefit but rather a sum of money that people cannot fall below but they have to either work for it , be in vocational education or training , vast areas of this country had they’re pride ripped from them and have never fully recovered 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The unions haven't been infiltrated by politicians - Labour is the party of the unions. It was created by them, if anything Labour has been infiltrated by people trying to change the party's purpose. 

Well I’m sure sitting down over a pint and a coffee for me we would probably find a lot of common ground over that debate and yes some differences, I certainly do not see the Labour Party as the party of working men and women any more , I couldn’t vote for them now anymore than I could the conservatives