The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

Im sorry but BBC have given up on journalism a long time ago. They are biased towards lockdown measures and are running emotive stories with unnecessarily provocative language designed to whip up social pressure against people who are cautious about the vaccine. All for the greater good of course. Where is the critical analysis in mainstream media and politics? This is a major problem. There are credible doubts about both policies but this is actively shut down by big tech and socially you risked being dismissed and shamed. Just for exercising caution, looking at the bigger picture and having the temerity to question authority.  It's a concern, no matter what you think about lockdown or vaccines, this is a wider trend .

Very bizarre article to reply to with a rant. Could you provide a critical analysis of this piece please as it seems to have got you so riled up? 

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Very bizarre article to reply to with a rant. Could you provide a critical analysis of this piece please as it seems to have got you so riled up? 

Not that article but many over the course of the pandemic. How about the series of stories about people in hospital regretting not having the vaccines. That's fine, but balance it with people who have had adverse reactions, or about how the usual safety protocols have been avoided and there is no long term data on safety or effectiveness. 

42 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Jeez thats awful.  We are being turned against each other and it's wrong. The risks are not being contextualised and so threat is easily stimulated.

Yep I know ,, a 5 foot 3 woman having to put up with that crap ,

now I’m gonna get stick but who cares , the situation is different yes but the tactics used just the same as used in Nazi germany , propaganda, neighbours and family turned against each other , encouraged to snoop and report on each other government encouraging people and businesses to police for them any who want to go about their own business and make their own choices on masks , vaccines and the rest that will be reintroduced very soon , why the duck has anybody had to wear a badge or lanyard to say they are mask exempt? Disability badges anyone? 
worst of it is it’s probably some sad Pratt worried about getting pinged and having his holiday s disrupted 

After a few weeks of hardly any new cases, we have a sudden explosion again of 38 cases in a day.  Talk of another wave, i have lost count, perhaps #5.  The far majority of the cases are double jabbed though, which leads to local concerns that the vaccines do not work well enough against the Delta variant.  Uhoh, roll up yer sleeves, need a new concoction now.

3 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

Im sorry but BBC have given up on journalism a long time ago. They are biased towards lockdown measures and are running emotive stories with unnecessarily provocative language designed to whip up social pressure against people who are cautious about the vaccine. All for the greater good of course. Where is the critical analysis in mainstream media and politics? This is a major problem. There are credible doubts about both policies but this is actively shut down by big tech and socially you risked being dismissed and shamed. Just for exercising caution, looking at the bigger picture and having the temerity to question authority.  It's a concern, no matter what you think about lockdown or vaccines, this is a wider trend .

I cant stand the BBC but actually thought that was a good, informative, article 

25 minutes ago, ramit said:

After a few weeks of hardly any new cases, we have a sudden explosion again of 38 cases in a day.  Talk of another wave, i have lost count, perhaps #5.  The far majority of the cases are double jabbed though, which leads to local concerns that the vaccines do not work well enough against the Delta variant.  Uhoh, roll up yer sleeves, need a new concoction now.

That’s the thing isn’t it, my dad would have had 5 different jabs this year. As it stands they have no idea how long the vaccine will last for in our systems. If passports are brought in You’ll be signing yourself up to a fresh jab every year, or You’ll be barred from society.

51 minutes ago, ramit said:

Although the vaccines are working - in all but the most extreme cases (elderly/vulnerable) they do prevent the more severe cases of covid.  The vaccines themselves were never going to get us to covid zero. 

If covid zero is what Govts want then we need another strict lockdown followed by closed borders and a 'world beating' track and trace system - however, as New Zealand and Australia are finding out, it is impossible to remain at covid zero long term. 

We have to assume that the vaccines are doing their job - and they are apparently approx 95% effective, in which case rising infections are not really a problem and there will always be a number of covid deaths, just as there are always a number of flu deaths despite years vaccinations.

4 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

So are you disputing the efficacy figures?

Otherwise I can’t see any relevance to what was posted. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

now I’m gonna get stick but who cares , the situation is different yes but the tactics used just the same as used in Nazi germany , propaganda, neighbours and family turned against each other , encouraged to snoop and report on each other government encouraging people and businesses to police for them any who want to go about their own business and make their own choices on masks , vaccines and the rest that will be reintroduced very soon , why the duck has anybody had to wear a badge or lanyard to say they are mask exempt? Disability badges anyone? 
worst of it is it’s probably some sad Pratt worried about getting pinged and having his holiday s disrupted 

Can you send me that political essay when you've finished please? Oh sorry, thought that was @Leeds Ram posting again, not you! Easy mistake to make with your balanced and nuanced viewpoint.

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

So are you disputing the efficacy figures?

Otherwise I can’t see any relevance to what was posted. 

The relevance is that I am disputing the current status of the BBC as an impartial source. I am not qualified to dispute the figures in that article, but any person that might be is unlikely to get a platform.

34 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Although the vaccines are working - in all but the most extreme cases (elderly/vulnerable) they do prevent the more severe cases of covid.  The vaccines themselves were never going to get us to covid zero. 

If covid zero is what Govts want then we need another strict lockdown followed by closed borders and a 'world beating' track and trace system - however, as New Zealand and Australia are finding out, it is impossible to remain at covid zero long term. 

We have to assume that the vaccines are doing their job - and they are apparently approx 95% effective, in which case rising infections are not really a problem and there will always be a number of covid deaths, just as there are always a number of flu deaths despite years vaccinations.

Yes, what other virus do we measure like this? It's bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

missed.jpg

Pretty funny tbh, but it's another smug dismissal of dissenting voices. There are plenty of respectable scientists who have found important information that is being suppressed.  Like the evidence of the effectiveness of re-purposed drugs to treat covid,like Ivermectin that have a long safety record. Many credible scientists have raised concern, but of course they must be anti-vacc wierdos right? 

4 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Pretty funny tbh, but it's another smug dismissal of dissenting voices. There are plenty of respectable scientists who have found important information that is being suppressed.  Like the evidence of the effectiveness of re-purposed drugs to treat covid,like Ivermectin that have a long safety record. Many credible scientists have raised concern, but of course they must be anti-vacc wierdos right? 

And all those experts and scientists who said it defo didn't come from a lab in Wuhan. It can't have, they said. 

11 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Yeah and those were them scientists involved in the Great Barrington Declaration that was suppressed by the Koch Brothers in the USA. Sorry, I meant promoted by them.

We had herd immunity last summer according to them. They were so suppressed that Johnson spoke to some of them last September. That worked out well. 

When will the world start listening to non-peer reviewed opinions by scientists seeking fame?

25 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can you send me that political essay when you've finished please? Oh sorry, thought that was @Leeds Ram posting again, not you! Easy mistake to make with your balanced and nuanced viewpoint.

Yep sorry, please excuse me being triggered by scum bag bullies, when it comes to that all bets are off , sitting tutt Tutting at people’s grammar Or writing style doesn’t really impress either 

20 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

The relevance is that I am disputing the current status of the BBC as an impartial source. I am not qualified to dispute the figures in that article, but any person that might be is unlikely to get a platform.

Is it just the BBC's reporting of the covid epidemic that you consider bias or is it all of their news and current affairs programmes?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Blimey. Where to start with that…

….so I won’t. If that’s what you think, there isn’t really any point. 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Yep sorry, please excuse me being triggered by scum bag bullies, when it comes to that all bets are off , sitting tutt Tutting at people’s grammar Or writing style doesn’t really impress either 

I wasn't tutting at your style or grammar at all. Just your rather dramatic Nazi Germany comparison.

Fair enough you were upset. The guy was obviously a bit of a moron to your wife.