The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

22 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

They didn't. They said they wanted the opening up roadmap to be irreversible and the full removal of restrictions would be 21st June at the earliest (5 weeks after the previous "unlocking").

21st June has never been a guaranteed date.

I agree though that the removal of all restirctions isn't going to make much of a difference to me either. The first thing I look for in a pub is somewhere to sit down, so it doesn't bother me that I can't stand at the bar!

If they had said originally that we might push back the 21st of June date if a new variant arrives from abroad and cases start to rise again, then everyone would have agreed.

But Summer's here, hospitalisations are more or less zero, there can never be a third wave, right?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If they had said originally that we might push back the 21st of June date if a new variant arrives from abroad and cases start to rise again, then everyone would have agreed.

That's what they did say, though:

Only when the government is sure that it is safe to move from one step to the next will the final decision be made. The decision will be based on four tests:

• the vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
  • evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
  • infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
  • our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern

and...

Step 4 - not before 21 June

Social contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Taken from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

I've just googled it and this list was widely reported at the time (Feb)

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

That's what they did say, though:

Only when the government is sure that it is safe to move from one step to the next will the final decision be made. The decision will be based on four tests:

• the vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
  • evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
  • infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
  • our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern

and...

Step 4 - not before 21 June

Social contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Taken from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

I've just googled it and this list was widely reported at the time (Feb)

Apologies, I didn't word that very well. I meant that no one would have had any issues with a delay when the dates were originally announced, especially if a new variant caused an increase in cases. But now we are close to the date itself, that initial caution disappears.

Genuinely believe there will be mass protests if we don’t fully open up on 21st June.

Hospitalisations are steady, cases are low (but as a lot of restrictions have opened up a small rise is expected) and the vaccine role out is progressing at 600k jabs a day.

I am sat in a pub garden and being served outdoors by a member of staff wearing a full visor. How ridiculous is that?

Whilst we keep daily reporting of the numbers and print everything SAGE keep warning about instead of looking at their performance history, the hysteria will remain.

People need to start getting on with it - like a number of US States have done and shown life continues as normal doing the things we like doing!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Define 'third wave'.

Massive increase in cases, another rise in cases and deaths (but hopefully much less than the other times), loads more long covid, more possible variants as the virus spread back through all unvaccinated people, another lockdown to prevent NHS meltdown again.

Hopefully cases drop again and we eliminate the variant from India before opening up fully.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Do the US states have a new variant like we do? 

You mean the 20,000 variant of this virus.

And who knows - they’re not worried about things. That’s my point - we are reporting and scaring everyone anytime something comes up the government/press can half link to use the phrase ‘mutant’.

Who knows what they have in the States - I’d be shocked if the Indian variant wasn’t there - just they’re not shouting from the roof tops every day about it.

Youve sadly proved my point with one line.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, got my dates wrong but sure nobody would disagree that the message re lockdowns as always been not to overwhelm the NHS and the message re the way out of this has been wait for the vaccine.

I took the lockdowns to be not protection for NHS, but also to prevent deaths and to stop infections becoming so widespread that new variant emerge. The message needed to be highly simplistic though as we don't have a government who can communicate effectively, so I understand if people thought lockdowns were only to protect the NHS.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Re travel from India, the reason for not suspending travel has been given, whether its true or not is anyone's guess but, like you say for the Cummings story, nobody has come out and denied it.

I haven't seen this, what was the reason given? What do you make of the situation where people have been in mixed queues after arriving from all different destinations?

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You mean the 20,000 variant of this virus.

And who knows - they’re not worried about things. That’s my point - we are reporting and scaring everyone anytime something comes up the government/press can half link to use the phrase ‘mutant’.

Who knows what they have in the States - I’d be shocked if the Indian variant wasn’t there - just they’re not shouting from the roof tops every day about it.

Youve sadly proved my point with one line.

US States are like countries. I imagine some states have low cases and no variants and have opened up, especially warmer states with large outdoor events.

I presume other states still have restrictions where cases remain high and risky variants may have emerged.

Apologies if I'm completely wrong and the whole country has reopened again regardless of local case numbers or variants. I also assume their border policy is much less of a joke than ours.

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

US States are like countries. I imagine some states have low cases and no variants and have opened up, especially warmer states with large outdoor events.

I presume other states still have restrictions where cases remain high and risky variants may have emerged.

Apologies if I'm completely wrong and the whole country has reopened again regardless of local case numbers or variants. I also assume their border policy is much less of a joke than ours.

They have restrictions on entering from outside the USA but internally it’s so what you want - and there is a lot of movement going on. (Family live in LA).

California is removing all restrictions and returning to normal middle of June.

I watch a little bit of US Sport and seeing the golf and baseball with good size crowds (or full crowds in Texas) is amazing... and then you look at the numbers which just keep falling even in these States.

I don’t buy the winter/Summer too much over there (I do here) - in Texas, Florida, California it’s pretty much summer all year round.

What I see, and when chatting to friends over there is that people don’t talk about Covid or get caught up in it. They have literally returned to normal. The narrative has changed.

Honestly - if we no longer published the daily case total (we don’t publish daily deaths for any other type of illness/reason and we don’t publish daily flu cases and never have we done), so if we stopped publishing Corona Stats, people would soon start talking about other things and returning to their old behaviours.

For the record - I’m still saying if you have symptoms, get a PCR, isolate and if you don’t follow that rule, big fines.

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Massive increase in cases, another rise in cases and deaths (but hopefully much less than the other times), loads more long covid, more possible variants as the virus spread back through all unvaccinated people, another lockdown to prevent NHS meltdown again.

Hopefully cases drop again and we eliminate the variant from India before opening up fully.

Eliminate the variant? 

There is no sign of a third wave as you describe it. There is some data that there has been a small increase in cases and a small increase in hospitalisations (but still at a very low level) in the NW and Scotland according to a stats bloke on the Beeb.

Edited by RoyMac5

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I haven't seen this, what was the reason given? What do you make of the situation where people have been in mixed queues after arriving from all different destinations?

I reckon it's a waste of time having a separate queue or terminal for people coming in from amber or red countries.

Ok. Put them in a separate queue. What happens once they all clear the airport? Heathrow for example. They're all going to mix together on a coach, train, or underground anyway.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, got my dates wrong but sure nobody would disagree that the message re lockdowns as always been not to overwhelm the NHS

Was more than that though! Protect the NHS, Control the virus, save lives was the mantra.