Rooney Statistics

SamUltraRam

1 hour ago, sage said:

Because we didn't have enough quality/experience on the bench until recently. 

We had to try and win the game first half by playing at a high tempo, then try not to concede second half 

Exactly that. Also we have done brilliantly with so few players, something which I had underestimated. Wayne says he is happy with his squad now. We now have some seriously physically  strong players in the squad. Onwards and upwards.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Since Rooney took sole charge against Wycombe at home - 28 Nov

Goals scored/conceded in 16 games

1st half - scored 11, conceded 1

2nd half - scored 5, conceded 9

Do we run out of steam a bit ? & if so, why do you think that is ?

If you take off the freak result at Rotherham that's only scored 5 conceded 6 in 2nd half's which isn't too bad. Plus that stat is including Rooney's first ever games in charge conceded 2 late ones Wycombe & Coventry. Also there was the late goal conceded v Preston where we tired towards the end because played the whole game with 10 men. So overall, could easily be scored 5, Conceded 2 for 2nd half's.

I am not too worried by this stat to be honest. 

Despite us conceding far more in the 2nd half & ignoring Rooney's 1st 2 games in charge, Tuesday night was the only time when we've taken the lead and lost it (under Rooney) - so a huge positive & points to the value of scoring the 1st goal of the game.

I guess, as was said earlier, as we often have the lead at halftime, opponents may try something different in the 2nd half & we may sit back more but that just emphasises the importance of us getting our 2nd goal far more often than we do

We've actually won 5 of the last 6 but only scored 7 goals

Another positive is we've really cut out defensive errors and generally our opponents now have to create chances against us rather than just push on and wait for a mistake - with the inevitable odd exception

Dare I say it, we are currently far more of a Billy Davies team than a Steve Mac 2013/14 team, but I guess our league position dictates that

9 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Does anyone know what date did we touch bottom? (cue Kenneth Williams!) and how many points were we away from safety at that time?  It has been quite miraculous the turn around in fortune in what seems just a matter of weeks.

Screenshot_2021-02-17-09-37-13-328_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7bbdc23d9c18caa4986b5e1e3e775c51.jpg

This was the league table after we lost 3-0 to Boro on Nov 25th although I think we first went bottom before that

Interesting stats those, not something I’d even really considered. On the face of it that certainly indicates poor fitness levels. We know those levels weren’t where they should have been under Cocu, certainly before Shane Nicholson arrived anyway, but I thought we’d seen improvements in that regard recently. Though I suppose you could still put it down to the gruelling fixture schedule, and Rooney’s refusal to use subs meaning players get tired. Hopefully now we’ve improved the squad depth a bit Rooney will be more willing to use his 5 subs to good effect, which should help improve those second half stats.

Another reason for it, and probably the most likely cause imo, is the way Rooney sets us up to play over the 90 minutes. We know we seriously lack goal threat, and are almost certainly ducked if we concede the first goal as we can’t break the opposition down. So we generally tend to go all guns blazing at the start of the game, when things are more open, to ensure we get the first goal. We tend to then try to hold onto that narrow lead because we struggle to get the second goal, which, when the defence is as formidable as it has been in some games this season (when Bielik was fit), can work - as we’ve seen with the number of 1-0s we’ve won. However, sometimes we end up being forced too deep and end up under too much pressure because we haven’t got that second goal, which sometimes we collapse under in second halves as players tire because of the energy we used at the start of games. 

The solution to all of this? As with most problems we have at the moment - score more goals. Relieves the pressure on the defence and allows players to conserve energy better, meaning we can put in full 90 performances.

3 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Does anyone know what date did we touch bottom? (cue Kenneth Williams!) and how many points were we away from safety at that time?  It has been quite miraculous the turn around in fortune in what seems just a matter of weeks.

Ooh matron!

We were 24th after 11 games. We were 2 points from 21st and safety when Cocu left. Even though we spent a lot of time in the bottom three during those first 11 games, that was the biggest deficit and lowest position at any point. Typically we were in the bottom three on goal difference.

Forest in 20th were on 12 points after 11 games and Blackburn in 12th were on 14 points. A deficit of 6 points and 8 points respectively. It is probably this which tipped Mel over the edge.

We weren’t in an impossible position at any point under Cocu. We were never miles away from safety. Mel obviously acted because he figured our chances of having a respectable season were slipping away.

In fact the four games immediately after - 2 points from 12 when we should have got 7 - left us further adrift from safety than at any point under Cocu.

It was the goofing around with the managerial committee and Rooney’s relatively slow start which actually hurt our chances of survival the most.

Despite being only 2 points from safety when Cocu left, it took us 10 games to finally get out of the bottom three.

I think the myth that we were dead and buried under Cocu needs dispelling. We weren’t in a good position but we actually made things worse once he had left before finally recovering to our current position.

Rooney has now been in sole charge for 18 games with a win rate of 50%

Based on points per game (31 points in 18 games) that would currently put us on 53 points over the whole season so far and on target for 79 points for the season - better than the playoff teams of Lampard, Rowett & Clement/Wassall - and with a far inferior squad whilst battling with unpaid wages and transfer restrictions

Impressive

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

Rooney has now been in sole charge for 18 games with a win rate of 50%

Based on points per game (31 points in 18 games) that would currently put us on 53 points over the whole season so far and on target for 79 points for the season - better than the playoff teams of Lampard, Rowett & Clement/Wassall - and with a far inferior squad whilst battling with unpaid wages and transfer restrictions

Impressive

So taking from this, Rooney's average is 1.72 points per game.

15 games to go = 25.83 points to add.

37 (current points) + 25.83 = 62.83

Average points needed for playoffs is about 10 ahead of that. So if we can win 12 of the final 15 games we make the playoffs.

I'm an eternal optimist. 80% win ratio required. When we beat the red dogs on Friday we will have won 4 out of 5 - that's and 80% win ratio! It's going to happen!!!!

There's a chance.gif

21 minutes ago, rusgb said:

So taking from this, Rooney's average is 1.72 points per game.

15 games to go = 25.83 points to add.

37 (current points) + 25.83 = 62.83

Just done the predictor

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-championship/

We finshed in 12th on 62 points.

Wycombe, Brum and Weds went down. Forest, 14th on 60pts

3 hours ago, zaragozaram said:

Just done the predictor

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-championship/

We finshed in 12th on 62 points.

Wycombe, Brum and Weds went down. Forest, 14th on 60pts

Just done it.

I have Derby finishing 12th, with 63 pts & Forest 15th with 58 pts.

Norwich & Brentford - Automatic promotion, with Watford, Swansea, Reading & Cardiff in the play-offs.

Sheffield Wed., Birmingham & Wycombe - relegated

Archived