• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Since Rooney took sole charge against Wycombe at home - 28 Nov

Goals scored/conceded in 16 games

1st half - scored 11, conceded 1

2nd half - scored 5, conceded 9

Do we run out of steam a bit ? & if so, why do you think that is ?

Great to see the stats. My take is that Rooney plays a very high intensity game but hates making substitutions, so by midway through the second half it's 11 vs 16.

Hopefully now the loan players have arrived and strengthened the bench, that will change.

Seem reasonably fit for a team with some fairly old men, I think its more a case of go in front with fast out of the blocks then instinctively start to lie deeper to protect what we have. And of course a trailing team will get a half time roasting and maybe change of tactics.

Over the years I have complained many times that when Derby start slow they never pick it up, so I'm not going to complain about early energy,even if they run out of puff a bit.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's more insightful if your data is correct is doing a back calculation this means we scored 5 goals in 13 games predominantly under Cocu which by any stretch of the imagination is an utter disgrace. 

Very true, & another stat is we've actually only scored 9 goals from open play all season - in 29 games !!

Although 8 of those have come under Rooney

( & yes, i've got too much time on my hands )

I think some of this might be due to having a very thin squad until the end of the transfer window. Rooney didn't want to throw kids on with things so tight, so the starting 11 generally played longer than would be ideal. I suspect that now we have a reasonable bench, the stats will start to even up a bit.

26 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Because we didn't have enough quality/experience on the bench until recently. 

We had to try and win the game first half by playing at a high tempo, then try not to concede second half 

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think the most telling stat is what happens when we conceed the first goal in a game? I don't know t off the top of my head but it always seems like if we conceed first that's it, go home, nothing to see here.

For the whole season

Points gained from a losing position - 0 - (we did equalise at Luton early in the season but ultimately lost the game)

Points lost from a winning position - 8 - Cardiff H, Bournemouth A, Wycombe H, Coventry H - drew them all 1-1

33 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

For the whole season

Points gained from a losing position - 0 - (we did equalise at Luton early in the season but ultimately lost the game)

Points lost from a winning position - 8 - Cardiff H, Bournemouth A, Wycombe H, Coventry H - drew them all 1-1

Unfortunately, that's an incredible stat, we've only equalised once all season. In fact, I think that is the only goal we've scored after another team has scored this season.

You forgot the red dogs which was another 2 points. 

I have thought all season that we look short of fitness. Conceding late goals, running out of steam in the second half, it's a common theme.

My one massive criticism of Cocu when he was here is that we didn't look fit, we didn't look sharp. It wasn't like we were playing an intense brand of football either. That can only be down to how pre-season and any fitness training thereafter was structured.

57 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

For the whole season

How many 'losing positions' have been under Rooney? I don't know the stats.

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

Interesting

9x more likely to concede in the second half is quite shocking.

Lots of reasons: 

Fitness was certainly an issue under Cocu - we looked knackered running out let alone after 60 mins, so there might be a legacy issue

Most games where we are winning we sit back for the last 20 or 30 mins, therefore attracting the opposition on, and therefore conceding more goals in this period

Lack of depth and a weak bench until recently meant players spending longer on the pitch tired than perhaps they would have done with a stronger bench, as we have now with the loanees

Opposition try harder in the last 30 because they are not winning

Sometimes we're not very good under sustained pressure. Though we are deffo getting better. 

Second half figures look worse given the 3 goal late collapse against Rotherham. Take that game out and over 15 we've only conceded one more than we've scored after half time.

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

This right here is the the justification for a Stevie Mac double sub at 60-65mins. I've not been happy with Rooney's insistence to keep certain players on the pitch, for up to 20 minutes longer than they should be and last did anything right. 

Archived