Forget thanks Mel, thanks Wayne is far more appropriate

1967RAMS

2 hours ago, 1967RAMS said:

Since his tenure as permanent manager, the transformation has been astonishing. This could be down in part to how useless Cocu was and the influence of Steve Mac but the major credit needs to go to Wayne. 
Now moving on to this transfer window, albeit very short for Derby. MM was given credit for putting his hands in his pockets again to bail us out. Without knowing the full details, I would estimate that with 3 permanents leaving plus a few other loans (2 for reasonable fees) and 5 loans in. I would suggest that Mel’s spend is a big fat zero, and probably actually money in credit. Now I have no idea if this was Wayne’s remit or money was available but Wayne couldn’t find suitable players to spend it on. Either way, we now have cover for areas we were short in, have viable options from the bench to affect games and competition for places. At very least I expect this to keep Derby in the championship ( a major achievement from when he took over ). Realistically I expect it will enable us to pull well clear of danger, and you never know, maybe even a late flirt with 6 th place. Now that’s what I call management of the highest order. Thank you Wayne 

Yeah Wayne has been brilliant and Mac seems to be a real positive influence too. Think it just shows how much the players weren't liking the Cocu regime to be honest.

Can you really blame Mel though? He has taken the club as far as he can and has put so much into it over the years. There was clearly nothing left to spend when the players wages weren't being paid in December. The only way to reinforce the squad was to sell a couple of players to raise funds. This has all been spent on the new loan players. Why would we make permanent signings when there's a very realistic chance we could be in League 1 next season and be stuck with all these high wages to pay. Maybe the takeover has been delayed until they know we're not going to be relegated? Either way we have a big summer ahead now as we will need to replace all these loan players.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 1967RAMS said:

Since his tenure as permanent manager, the transformation has been astonishing. This could be down in part to how useless Cocu was and the influence of Steve Mac but the major credit needs to go to Wayne. 
Now moving on to this transfer window, albeit very short for Derby. MM was given credit for putting his hands in his pockets again to bail us out. Without knowing the full details, I would estimate that with 3 permanents leaving plus a few other loans (2 for reasonable fees) and 5 loans in. I would suggest that Mel’s spend is a big fat zero, and probably actually money in credit. Now I have no idea if this was Wayne’s remit or money was available but Wayne couldn’t find suitable players to spend it on. Either way, we now have cover for areas we were short in, have viable options from the bench to affect games and competition for places. At very least I expect this to keep Derby in the championship ( a major achievement from when he took over ). Realistically I expect it will enable us to pull well clear of danger, and you never know, maybe even a late flirt with 6 th place. Now that’s what I call management of the highest order. Thank you Wayne 

I wasn’t initially in favour of him becoming manager but I have watched him and listened to him and I've been rather impressed. 

He is calm but steely and I think he's finally taking us away from the pretty, but too nice to succeed, team we have been for quite a while now. 

He is building a team of winners and anyone who doesn't like that can leave. 

It will be interesting to see: 

A. Which of these seasons become regulars 

B. The impact their arrival has on the existing squad 

C. Whether any of the loan signings become permanent 

I was not looking forward to the Rotherham game because they are just the sort of spoiling team we don't do well against. 

Having heard him speak in the press conference the message seems to be failure this time around is not an option. 

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I actually posted that I couldn't find the word appropriate in any of the posts until then I saw it in the thread title Doh! Should have gone to Specsavers.

Specsavers would have been the appropriate place to go, Tyler.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Just an observation if we didn’t have MM to pay the Bills which he has always done we would be royally ducked 

if MM hadn’t invested in the academy we would be royally ducked - they are the ones paying the bills currently however which way you look at it. 
for Manchester United and Liverpool to want to take our youngsters we are doing something seriously right and those who have made it to the first team are worth a fortune to us such as knight Buchanan sibley Bird - whilst Whittaker who never looked right in the side was sold for £700,000 which is a dam sight more than any of the others in our squad during a pandemic.

Playing devils advocate...who payed the bills before Mel took over ?

The academy, Whittaker has been with us for 12 years I believe, don't know about the others, but would they have therefore been here regardless of Mel taking over ?

I think the issue with this thread, like the other is the standard problem in football. One man is usually singled out for praise or criticism.

An owner, and I'm not just talking about Mel here, can tell fans until he's blue in the face that he wasn't solely responsible for the sacking of a manager, the board of directors voted in favour of their removal, or the approval of a signing. Even ticket allocations and prices get pinned on them!

Football fans being football fans, with zero evidence to suggest otherwise will call said owner a dictator, liar and control freak. Again this isn't specific to Derby it's all over, look across all social media channels it's the same. Doesn't make it right or fair though.

Remember when Kevin Phillips was at Derby, all we knew that he was a first team coach, when the goals dried up he was held solely responsible. 

Scapegoating is rife in football and it works the other way as well, let's look at one transfer, who is involved?

You have the agents, the players family, admin staff, medical team, club CEO's, managers, scouts and probably many more as well as the owner. 

Any of those could be responsible for Patrick Roberts failing to sign yesterday, thankfully we got the deal over the line but it's thanks to all of them, like wise with our turn around in form, Shay Given, Justin Walker, Liam Rosenior, the new physio, the list goes on.

I do it myself, win tonight and I'll be on with my ROOOOOONEY post, but the truth is, this isn't just about him, the sooner we stop singling individuals and out be it good or bad without absolute concrete proof they deserve it, the better.

I'm grateful to the club for pulling off what looks on paper to be a very good transfer window, and I'm also grateful to the team for improving their form and lifting us up the table so thank you to you all. 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Just an observation if we didn’t have MM to pay the Bills which he has always done we would be royally ducked 

Arent a lot of these bills of MMs making though? ie the wage bill has gone from £16m to £40m under his stewardship.

Looking at the last accounts before MM took over the owners only really needed to cover £2m of cash losses, this was closer to £25m at the last accounts. 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If MM hadn’t invested in the academy we would be royally ducked - they are the ones paying the bills currently however which way you look at it.

Devils advocate but Brentford don't have an academy and are in a much healthier position than we are.

Personally I think the strategy of using the academy to generate funds is a sound one, however, feel it is defeating the object if you use sales proceeds to pay other players wages. 

Think everyone knows that Rooney has been thrown into a very tough job, with little financial backing available. But even I find criticism of Mel harsh after yesterday. I mean, let’s face it, he isn’t even supposed to be our owner anymore - he’d have been gone a couple of months back if Sheikh Khaled actually had some money. He could easily have just jacked it in and asset stripped us when everything went wrong. Instead, as a fan would, he has decided to keep funding the club enough to keep us competitive, whilst he tries to find a genuine buyer. For that we should be grateful, as I thought we were in serious danger not so long ago. I’m not sure what more people expect in the current situation?

40 minutes ago, sage said:

Oh he's made tonnes of mistakes but snide asides when Mel, having missed the sale, has stumped up for the wages, aren't really fair.

You are bound to make mistakes in football because there are so many variables. Villa survived last season when a goal line mistake was made because a camera was not working. A genuine goal was disallowed. Villa are now a force in the Prem. Owners finance the opinions of managers but often carry the can for their mistakes. All the recent managers that we appointed were approved by my amateur opinion. Nobody could guess how they would perform. Cocu had a particularly unlucky series of events in his time here. Mel has done his level best and splashed HIS cash. His wallet is not a bottomless pit. Most of the things that contrived against him were not his fault. If you own it, you call the shots. In my opinion he could not have tried harder or realistically spent more of his OWN money. The reason why I am so much a fan of Mel is that like Lionel, he is  FAN of Derby County. Fans stick together. If anyone can find a buyer to help Mel out, give him a ring or recognise that he has probably done better than you could have done and spent more of his money than you would have spent. We should respect Mel because he is a genuine person and a Derby County fan. Wayne Rooney may be his masterstroke. I think that it will be. Mel....what a guy.

19 hours ago, David said:

I think the issue with this thread, like the other is the standard problem in football. One man is usually singled out for praise or criticism.

An owner, and I'm not just talking about Mel here, can tell fans until he's blue in the face that he wasn't solely responsible for the sacking of a manager, the board of directors voted in favour of their removal, or the approval of a signing. Even ticket allocations and prices get pinned on them!

Scapegoating is rife in football and it works the other way as well, let's look at one transfer, who is involved?

I agree with the majority of your post it's the word scapegoating which interests me which has obviously connotations with the word blame and I disagree with its use. The word accountable is far more appropriate as all football club owners are for the running of the club they have stewardship over Mel Morris included. 

If you relate this to "real life" businesses then the government specifically brought in the Corporate Manslaughter Act in 2007 to make company owners accountable for serious H and S breaches at the company they are in charge of so as to remove the defense that they didn't know what was happening or wasn't aware that Mr X the manager was condoning gross safety breaches in their department etc. So ultimately they would the ones in court faces charges if someone has a serious injury or dies at work.

Using the above parallel then Morris has total accountability of the running of DCFC so therefore will take sole responsibility for the poor decisions he has made together with the good ones, there's no escaping this. 

Scapegoat when things go wrong? No, absolutely not but fully accountable and has to be viewed as such just like any other person owning a football club. 

On 02/02/2021 at 08:58, Srg said:

I mean steady on. We've signed more loans than we can play, and we're still not clear of danger. Imagine opinion will plummet once again if we lose to Rotherham (again) tonight.

Ey up. 

On 02/02/2021 at 10:03, tomsdubs said:

Mel has always backed his managers, I would hold fire on total blame on Mel really. If Clement, Pearson and Rowet had been up to the job we'd be potentially in the top flight now. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Quite a lot of times unfortunately.

Archived