Forget thanks Mel, thanks Wayne is far more appropriate

1967RAMS

Since his tenure as permanent manager, the transformation has been astonishing. This could be down in part to how useless Cocu was and the influence of Steve Mac but the major credit needs to go to Wayne. 
Now moving on to this transfer window, albeit very short for Derby. MM was given credit for putting his hands in his pockets again to bail us out. Without knowing the full details, I would estimate that with 3 permanents leaving plus a few other loans (2 for reasonable fees) and 5 loans in. I would suggest that Mel’s spend is a big fat zero, and probably actually money in credit. Now I have no idea if this was Wayne’s remit or money was available but Wayne couldn’t find suitable players to spend it on. Either way, we now have cover for areas we were short in, have viable options from the bench to affect games and competition for places. At very least I expect this to keep Derby in the championship ( a major achievement from when he took over ). Realistically I expect it will enable us to pull well clear of danger, and you never know, maybe even a late flirt with 6 th place. Now that’s what I call management of the highest order. Thank you Wayne 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, @Mucker1884

It's looking like Wayne and his team have had a great window, and the staff at DCFC must have worked triple overtime to get it all sorted.

Assuming this was Wayne's "not got any money to spend" list, I'm more intrigued to know what his "splurge, splurge, splurge" list would have looked like! 

We can’t make judgement on what was available to Rooney. Who says he spent everything available?

Surely running the club at a break even is what we all want. Mel has taken some hammer on here for being careless with money, so this window should be refreshing for them at least.

I think Rooney is doing a good job, but then again I think Cocu was massively underachieving with the team we have. If we lose the next 2 games will people still give Rooney credit, who knows. 

Makes a refreshing change to have a manager that says it how it is and doesn’t talk bow locks like Rowett or dress it up as some new visionary method like Clement ( who was sacked again yesterday I think after a few months) Loved the way Wayne turned the negative about Bielik into a massive positive for Max Bird. How must he feel after those comments. Says and plays it simple. I think the players have absolute clarity about what is expected of them. I think Wazzer is growing up before our very eyes. 

January is always a difficult window, even more so in the current climate. In the circumstances we have got in loans that should hopefully be enough to secure our status in the league.

Summer is going to be the big one, no one is sure what direction the club is going or even what ownership we will be under, it's not as though the club are saying much at the moment either.

We will be in the need for a lot of new players in the summer, multiple loans are  superficial and paper over the cracks if you fail to get in the PL, only need to look at FL season to highlight that. I had a discussion yesterday when one poster said they would lose interest in a GSE approach of gradual building, yet for me I'd be happy with any barker type fee for now and that approach. The difference I believe is that with WR at the helm, we have someone who wouldn't be happy with a 5 year plan and could make better use of the players, aka SM rather than NC.

The worry is though, WR is ambitious, this approach IMO leaves us open to him leaving, not to a MU but someone in this league who can give him a bigger budget to work with. This is why NC built the team he did, he spent 5 years on it, he wasn't in demand, Rooney is different.

interesting times ahead.

Can't take anything away from Wayne and the way he's turned things around on the pitch, but surely everyone at the club deserves the same praise for helping to make it happen.

We have sold fringe players and that money will help pay for the loans and wages for a while, but Mel could have gone down the Maxwell route and decided that all money inbound was his to pay back some of his losses. 

10 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Makes a refreshing change to have a manager that says it how it is and doesn’t talk bow locks like Rowett or dress it up as some new visionary method like Clement ( who was sacked again yesterday I think after a few months) Loved the way Wayne turned the negative about Bielik into a massive positive for Max Bird. How must he feel after those comments. Says and plays it simple. I think the players have absolute clarity about what is expected of them. I think Wazzer is growing up before our very eyes. 

Agreed, I love the fact that he appears to be a man of his word

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Mel has always backed his managers, I would hold fire on total blame on Mel really. If Clement, Pearson and Rowet had been up to the job we'd be potentially in the top flight now. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Clement was sacked when we were 5th? Rowett got us into the playoffs? Pearson continued his modus operandi and obviously didn't like the "involvement" MM was taking with his team affairs? Less said about Cocu the better. 

You must have very high expectations if you think the former 3 managers were not upto the job.

There's one constant in all of their appointments just to remind you, or more precisely one person.

2 hours ago, 1967RAMS said:

Since his tenure as permanent manager, the transformation has been astonishing. This could be down in part to how useless Cocu was and the influence of Steve Mac but the major credit needs to go to Wayne. 
Now moving on to this transfer window, albeit very short for Derby. MM was given credit for putting his hands in his pockets again to bail us out. Without knowing the full details, I would estimate that with 3 permanents leaving plus a few other loans (2 for reasonable fees) and 5 loans in. I would suggest that Mel’s spend is a big fat zero, and probably actually money in credit. Now I have no idea if this was Wayne’s remit or money was available but Wayne couldn’t find suitable players to spend it on. Either way, we now have cover for areas we were short in, have viable options from the bench to affect games and competition for places. At very least I expect this to keep Derby in the championship ( a major achievement from when he took over ). Realistically I expect it will enable us to pull well clear of danger, and you never know, maybe even a late flirt with 6 th place. Now that’s what I call management of the highest order. Thank you Wayne 

Am sure someone posted a couple of weeks ago that if the season started when Rooney became manager we'd be 6th or something, happy to stand corrected on that.

And yes a number of posters including myself have already highlighted that the incoming loanees appear to have been covered by outgoing transfer fees not exceptional contributions from MMs pocket, whether that is a perceived criticism of MM or just a general fact is down to your own personal view on Morris' time in charge of the club. 

Just an observation if we didn’t have MM to pay the Bills which he has always done we would be royally ducked 

if MM hadn’t invested in the academy we would be royally ducked - they are the ones paying the bills currently however which way you look at it. 
for Manchester United and Liverpool to want to take our youngsters we are doing something seriously right and those who have made it to the first team are worth a fortune to us such as knight Buchanan sibley Bird - whilst Whittaker who never looked right in the side was sold for £700,000 which is a dam sight more than any of the others in our squad during a pandemic.

53 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Clement was sacked when we were 5th? Rowett got us into the playoffs? Pearson continued his modus operandi and obviously didn't like the "involvement" MM was taking with his team affairs? Less said about Cocu the better. 

You must have very high expectations if you think the former 3 managers were not upto the job.

There's one constant in all of their appointments just to remind you, or more precisely one person.

Time has proven the Clement sacking was the correct move, he spent an absolute fortune and relied just on individual abilities rather than actual sound tactical moves.

Rowett was well backed and employed tactics that were always going to fall short, teams did far more on far less than us.

I don't have high expectations at all, if a manager gets good money in this division it is no difference to the Prem. You expect at least an output that is reasonably proportional to the money spent, that's basic management. Mel should take responsiblities for the choices of manager but you can't say he didn't give them at the time probably the best backing a manager could ask for outside the clubs with parachute payments.

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

Mel should take responsiblities for the choices of manager but you can't say he didn't give them at the time probably the best backing a manager could ask for outside the clubs with parachute payments.

I've never been one who has stated that Morris didn't back his managers I've always maintained that his choice of managers has been "uneven" which is probably the fairest word without starting a riot on here. 

Archived