First TV

DesertRam

I was 4/5, lived in Willington.

I distinctly remember this bloke arriving with a big box, after being told there was

a surprise coming. About an hour or so later, he said I'm going to turn it on then, my mother and 

I sat on the setee, guess what was playing - Hopalong Cassidy  - a Western.

I was over the moon - it was so exciting, and guess what, I know live about 10 doors away

from where he used to live, unbelievable!

I can also remember at age 12 walking down the road, and seeing colour on a tv - you could buy

these plastic sheets you to stick on the Telly to make it appear  blue or green  lol..

How times have changed.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to have ours from radio rentals,  always had one but remember a colour tv with wood shell, 4 buttons for 4 channels even though we only had 3.

We had a Ferranti, daresay they went out of business a long time ago. But what I wanted to mention was I remember, where I lived anyway, Parliament Street, if you saw an new style ariel, it meant the occupants had BBC 2 on their telly. I used think wow, they must be loaded but then, I used to think only posh kids got birthday dedications on Ed Stewpot Stewart’s Junior Choice on a Saturday/Sunday morning. 

The first tele I remember was already old, as it was bought by my parents a few years before I was born. So one of the main things I remember is my Dad jiggling with the valves in the back of the set when it had broken down, which seemed at the time to be a regular occurrence. On the occasions this jiggling failed to rectify the problem and the TV repair man was called for. Does anyone still get a TV repaired in this throw away society?

When it finally gave up the ghost and could no longer be repaired. I can remember the excitement while waiting for a new TV to be delivered. Which was to be a modern slim 60s design, well slim compared to the old one. The new TV came with a deluxe 16 inch screen and the facility to receive BBC2 but it could still only get two channels at the time as this was a few years before  BBC2 started broadcasting.

Can't remember the first telly we had as it was a hand me down from my Grandparents from before I was born. 

However In 1971 I went on a primary school trip to Belgium and when my Mum and Dad picked me up on the return They told me that they had a surprise which was a new shiny Phillips Colour TV. 

It was Friday night and the First thing I watched was Curse of the Werewolf, The following day was Charlie boots destroying the whining Scousers at Wembley. 

The first telly I ever saw was at my Granny's house in Little Eaton. I would have been about 4. Regular viewing for me would have been Twizzle, Torchy The Battery Boy and the highlight of the day, watching the horseracing with Grandad.

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The first tele I remember was already old, as it was bought by my parents a few years before I was born. So one of the main things I remember is my Dad jiggling with the valves in the back of the set when it had broken down, which seemed at the time to be a regular occurrence. On the occasions this jiggling failed to rectify the problem and the TV repair man was called for. Does anyone still get a TV repaired in this throw away society?

When it finally gave up the ghost and could no longer be repaired. I can remember the excitement while waiting for a new TV to be delivered. Which was to be a modern slim 60s design, well slim compared to the old one. The new TV came with a deluxe 16 inch screen and the facility to receive BBC2 but it could still only get two channels at the time as this was a few years before  BBC2 started broadcasting.

I think the last time i have a tv repaired was my first widescreen flat screen, but it was a CRT still so a good 20 years maybe ago.

Every TV we had since wouldnt warrant repair as they have lasted so long. I got my first LED Flat screen in i reckon around 2005, a 26", when i upgraded to a 40" samsung in 2011 it migrated upstairs to become the bedroom tv, and now its just a few months ago migrated to the loft 'just in case' as we went for a newer smart tv in the bedroom.

The samsung we got in 2011 although its only full hd not 4k is fantastic picture qualty and is going strong. We also migrated our conservatory led tv to the loft a couple of years ago which we have had for over 10 years.

Stuff just seems to last these days, which is probably totally different to the crap that was made in the 80's and maybe even 90's.

I remember having to get up and change the channels on the TV. And that crap testcard with the girl and the blackboard. And watching pages from Ceefax and Teletext on the same loop after the programmes had finished. And the excitement of a new terrestrial station in Channel 4. 

Remember the excitement when as a child parents rented a colour tv. Before that it was a coin operated tv in black and white?. It arrived early Saturday  morning and the guy set it up and we all listened in anticipation as he showed us how it worked ,knobs, big long plastic buttons and all of 3 channels ,one with no programmes on..The guy flicked through the channels and my mother immediately told him to take it back, The 1st channel had laurel and hardy on , the second channel also appeared in black and white.The guy explained that not all programmes were shown in colour and my mother refused to believe him and thought it was all a con. Words to the effect of paying for a colour licence ect.

happy days.

Also remember when we got our first electric vacuum cleaner and we all wanted to have a go?

4 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Remember the excitement when as a child parents rented a colour tv. Before that it was a coin operated tv in black and white?. It arrived early Saturday  morning and the guy set it up and we all listened in anticipation as he showed us how it worked ,knobs, big long plastic buttons and all of 3 channels ,one with no programmes on..The guy flicked through the channels and my mother immediately told him to take it back, The 1st channel had laurel and hardy on , the second channel also appeared in black and white.The guy explained that not all programmes were shown in colour and my mother refused to believe him and thought it was all a con. Words to the effect of paying for a colour licence ect.

happy days.

Also remember when we got our first electric vacuum cleaner and we all wanted to have a go?

Hard to believe you can still buy a black and white tv licence.

Our first TV was about the size of a shipping container with a slide around wooden cover.....and It needed about fifteen people to move It. 
I can remember the first “remote” control tele we got, with the wire running from the front of the tv to the controller that was only long enough to sit in the middle of the living room floor so you still had to get up to change channels. 
the first video we had was the biggest game changer for me....able to record one channel as you watched another...mind bending stuff that was. 

1958 when I was 6 years old. I can remember my Dad, God rest his soul, bringing it in and then helping the bloke next door fix the aerial to to chimney pot.

Just 2 channels in black & white. I can only recall childrens TV, the news, and two early cup finals in 1960 (Blackburn vs Wolves), and 1961 (Burnley vs Spurs).

Also, Coronation St., which my mother was glued to.

On 31/01/2021 at 12:22, ImARam2 said:

1958 when I was 6 years old. I can remember my Dad, God rest his soul, bringing it in and then helping the bloke next door fix the aerial to to chimney pot.

Just 2 channels in black & white. I can only recall childrens TV, the news, and two early cup finals in 1960 (Blackburn vs Wolves), and 1961 (Burnley vs Spurs).

Also, Coronation St., which my mother was glued to.

Rediffusion?

On 31/01/2021 at 08:47, TimRam said:

First one I remember was an old black and white rented set with a coin slot on the back. "Two bobs gone!" we'd cry to mum and dad when it went off.

I wonder if my family were uniquely poor, because if you cut an edge off an old penny it would go in the old two Bob slot. Every month the man from rumbelows would come and empty the couple of coins, and give us our penny back. 

Our first telly used to take about ten minutes to warm up, you'd switch it on and the screen would scroll round and round. Had a button at the back where you could set the horizontal and vertical scrolling. Remember watching the Grand National and the race had finished by the time the set was 'watmed up'.

9 minutes ago, Coneheadjohn said:

I remember me and my brother having a Baird upstairs which glowed red in the back and ran that hot it heated the room.

Tuning it in was akin to those WW2 code breakers listening in for enemy transmissions.

I think it was the size of a small battleship.

I think you've spelt that wrong, there is no "a" in Bird.

ClosedLongBluefintuna-max-1mb.gif.dadb7036b2cbbe8799d7a967e574c607.gif

Archived