First TV

DesertRam

Not long after the war, my granddad apparently made TVs for several people in his street in Littleover. He was a recently discharged self-taught engineer who might have had a job at Rolls Royce. I'm not sure.

We were black and white all through my growing up, until the early 80s I think. But I convinced myself that if I squinted, I could see colour. Partly we didn't ever have anything on the never never and also didn't believe in renting. Partly it would have been the exorbitant cost of a colour TV licence. After all, "TV detector vans are in your area" :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not long after the war, my granddad apparently made TVs for several people in his street in Littleover. He was a recently discharged self-taught engineer who might have had a job at Rolls Royce. I'm not sure.

Same(ish) here. My Grandad was an outstanding engineer and although I'll have to fact check this with my mum, I believe he was the first person in the Alfreton area to have a TV - which he built himself. 

On 07/02/2021 at 15:40, Frogram said:

In the 1950 's , a 9 inch Bush TV , in a fetching dark brown bakelite , 405 lines . "Don't sit too close , you'll hurt your eyes " I was told , as I strained to see Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men - flobberdob !

I'd forgotten that pair, and the man who works in the garden is coming down the garden path......

that Weed always looked a tasty piece thou

On 07/02/2021 at 20:38, Carl Sagan said:

We were black and white all through my growing up, until the early 80s I think. But I convinced myself that if I squinted, I could see colour. Partly we didn't ever have anything on the never never and also didn't believe in renting. Partly it would have been the exorbitant cost of a colour TV licence. After all, "TV detector vans are in your area" ?

I remember I'd conditioned my eyes to recognise the different shades of grey so I knew which snooker ball was which.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd forgotten that. Watching Pot Black in b&w! 

And if legend is to be believed...

Ted Lowe:
"...and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green".

John Motson:
"For those of you watching in black and white, spurs are in the all yellow strip".

Archived