Derby Vs Bristol City 30/1/21 3pm - Matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Obviously the Bielik injury is a huge blow and we hope it’s not too serious. But it was always the risk we were taking by relying on and pushing to the limits a player who had only just returned from such a serious injury. 12 consecutive starts and playing the full 90 all but twice is madness when you think about it.

Cocu played him when he wasn’t fit, we took him out the team, played him when he was ready. Had 2 weeks off with the Covid thing, had a week off between last week and today. Unfortunately what happened today was a freak and bad luck, not due to us taking a risk and pushing him to his limits.

Dont think I could disagree more with your statement, agreed with most of the rest of your post though

48 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I see @Nuwtfly point, with a better manager they would do better. Didn’t really lay a glove on us.  We are tighter in defence but really?

They're another team who don't seem to have twigged onto our one and only major weakness, we've had a few recently.

Did they try at any point in the game to put a long/high ball between the CBs? Did they put someone next to wisdom and play off knock-downs? Put any dangerous crosses from out left to the backpost? These are the things the teams we've lost to have done.

Maybe they couldn't have done that last one because Buchanan & Jozwiak worked so hard defensively, but they didn't seem to have any intent in using the size of Diedhiou to their advantage.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

I see @Nuwtfly point, with a better manager they would do better. Didn’t really lay a glove on us.  We are tighter in defence but really?

Bristol didn’t lay a glove on us, Bournemouth didn’t create much, Swansea didn’t lay a glove on us, Brentford didn’t register a shot on target and created their fewest chances in a game for something like 18 months. There’s a pattern developing here.

But yeah it’s down to Bristol’s manager being poo and Bristol under performing. Maybe, just maybe it’s because we’re actually a half decent team that is only down there because we’re recovering from the one of the worst starts in championship history.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Bristol didn’t lay a glove on us, Bournemouth didn’t create much, Swansea didn’t lay a glove on us, Brentford didn’t register a shot on target and created their fewest chances in a game for something like 18 months. There’s a pattern developing here.

But yeah it’s down to Bristol’s manager being poo and Bristol under performing. Maybe, just maybe it’s because we’re actually a half decent team that is only down there because we’re recovering from the one of the worst starts in championship history.

5 goals conceded in Rooney's 13 games as manager! ?

Yet another 1 - 0. It's really boring isn't it?

Actually no. Today we were actually mullering Bristol all over the pitch, and could have been 3 - 0 before Beilik was injured. Bird was desperately unlucky to hit the post and it comeback out - less than half an inch (12.7 mm in the new English) would have been all the difference, and if Joswiack had hit the ball on the volley instead of letting it bounce he would have scored. I think all he needs is a goal and he will be flying.

While Beilik was being treated I thought "this is the chance for Bristol - they have got to change things and take advantage of our man going off", as it was obvious that he was done for. And they made a very telling substitution. Whether it would have been so effective without our calamity I don't know, but combined with the whole team looking like they'd been kicked in the stomach, Bristol started to look like they had brought a team to the match after all. And I agree that Max Bird looked way better further forwards, although he still plays well too many sideways and backwards passes for my liking. But what he does do is keep the ball moving ,and rarely gives the ball away, so carry on Max. 

A number of people have noticed that we end up asking how teams are so far up the league when they never seem to do much against us. We are certainly in the habit of making good teams look ordinary, simply because we don't let them have a sniff of a chance. Any chances they get they have to work hard for. And at last we are going about playing our game our way, and not worrying about what the other side might do. Long may it continue,

What we are watching is a tremendous transformation of this squad. Its hard to believe that it is virtually the same set of players which Cocwho was in charge of. Wayne has brought about a huge improvement in the defence, and then another in midfield. Hopefully he will set about the front end now. Here's hoping?

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’ve got to agree with you. Quite a few of the posters I think your referring to were generally of the Uber Cocu fraternity. I think it’s difficult for anybody when you publicly commit to a person or a thing and that gets replaced by something you don’t necessarily relate to. In this case the sophistication and cerebral style of Cocu appealed greatly to those who perhaps seen themselves as more intelligent than your normal football fan. I think they see Rooney as a bit of an oik and the guy who replaced someone who they think looks and thinks like they do, a bit like if their Dad was the chemistry teacher and their mum left him for the P.E. teacher.
It will all be ok in the end though.  

19 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

I’ve got to agree with you. Quite a few of the posters I think your referring to were generally of the Uber Cocu fraternity. I think it’s difficult for anybody when you publicly commit to a person or a thing and that gets replaced by something you don’t necessarily relate to. In this case the sophistication and cerebral style of Cocu appealed greatly to those who perhaps seen themselves as more intelligent than your normal football fan. I think they see Rooney as a bit of an oik and the guy who replaced someone who they think looks and thinks like they do, a bit like if their Dad was the chemistry teacher and their mum left him for the P.E. teacher.

I was very pro Cocu until it became untenable. He made progress second half of last season but I was waiting for this run to happen under him, and after the QPR game in particular it was clear it was never going to happen.

Really wasn’t happy with how Rooney got the job, didn’t think he was qualified or deserving enough to get the chance but once he’s in the seat i backed him like i do all our managers and bloody hell has he delivered. Furthermore in his interviews it’s like he’s managed for 10 years, he is a born leader and in terms of football intelligence he’s right up there. I think he has way more potential than Lampard as a manager and never thought I’d say that. So far he has absolutely nailed it.

But despite the apparent chaos happening off the pitch (which I don’t think is as bad as has been made out), i think this is a good first gig for him, with our squad we shouldn’t be near trouble and with the right organisation he’ll get us clear no problem. His big challenge will be trying to get us competing in this league again - and on a budget, thats where we’ll find out if he is really potential stardust 

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

i think this is a good first gig for him, with our squad we shouldn’t be near trouble and with the right organisation he’ll get us clear no problem.

And yet Cocu was getting us relegated!!! Yeah, easy gig for Wayne, only has to turn up! ?

36 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Bang On.

Rooney is the Child/Teenager in me (probably most of us). Giving no fooks and full of gay abandon/swagger. 

Cocu was the sensible sanitised adult we all have to pretend to be. Yeah It pays the bills, but we all wanna be a children again.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And yet Cocu was getting us relegated!!! Yeah, easy gig for Wayne, only has to turn up! ?

Cocu was getting us relegated. Whatever he was doing it had clearly gone badly wrong. Im not decrying Wayne far from it (as you can see from the rest of my post) just saying this squad has a fair amount of talent in it and should be doing much better than it was. Rooney would not be making the same impact at Wycombe or Rotherham. 

Hes doing a good job and I think it looking like a great move to get him in, and I’m greatful we’ve got him. But I back all our managers!! ?

59 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Got me wrong here, they should have done better but we are a different proposition to the team under cocu.  For a team that is challenged to score goals we are doing outstandingly well.  Just thought if I was one of their fans I would be very disappointed 

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Rooney would not be making the same impact at Wycombe or Rotherham. 

You really do not know that. And when you see how he has simplified the game for the players. Bought out the best in them, organised them. You REALLY cannot say that.

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was very pro Cocu until it became untenable. He made progress second half of last season but I was waiting for this run to happen under him, and after the QPR game in particular it was clear it was never going to happen.

Really wasn’t happy with how Rooney got the job, didn’t think he was qualified or deserving enough to get the chance but once he’s in the seat i backed him like i do all our managers and bloody hell has he delivered. Furthermore in his interviews it’s like he’s managed for 10 years, he is a born leader and in terms of football intelligence he’s right up there. I think he has way more potential than Lampard as a manager and never thought I’d say that. So far he has absolutely nailed it.

But despite the apparent chaos happening off the pitch (which I don’t think is as bad as has been made out), i think this is a good first gig for him, with our squad we shouldn’t be near trouble and with the right organisation he’ll get us clear no problem. His big challenge will be trying to get us competing in this league again - and on a budget, thats where we’ll find out if he is really potential stardust 

Your right about what his challenges are, and time will tell.

Like you I was pro Cocu, and the project but I was never emotionally wedded to him and don’t find it difficult in anyway from moving on from him or the vision. This is clearly more difficult for some and they may never warm to Rooney because of what he represents to them.

8 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

Bang On.

Rooney is the Child/Teenager in me (probably most of us). Giving no fooks and full of gay abandon/swagger. 

Cocu was the sensible sanitised adult we all have to pretend to be. Yeah It pays the bills, but we all wanna be a children again.

A poetic take??

22 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Got me wrong here, they should have done better but we are a different proposition to the team under cocu.  For a team that is challenged to score goals we are doing outstandingly well.  Just thought if I was one of their fans I would be very disappointed 

Agree entirely. We coped easily with them, they didn’t make it difficult, at least Bournemouth actually made us slightly uncomfortable at times.

Archived