Derby@QPR, Saturday 15.00 hrs.

Rev

Massive game Saturday but a real chance to grab some points. Whilst QPR got a decent result last night, they've been poor at home & haven't won there in their last 5 (two months).

Since Charlie Austin returned on loan, they've been fielding a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with Dykes (the tall, powerful Scottish/Aussie centre forward we were linked with in the summer) playing alongside Austin. Remember their midfield being pretty combative at PP back in November so don't think we'll be afforded the space we got against Bournemouth

Our priority has to be offering more of an attacking threat against a side unlikely to give us space to play. With that in mind, I'd firstly like to see two up top - Kazim is an impressive CF but he's not a threat on his own & certainly won't be against 3 centre halves - he needs someone playing off him & that needs to be a quickish striker playing beyond him & stretching the pitch. Bournemouth played quite a high line Tues to negate CKR - pace alongside him will stop QPR doing that. My first choice would be Stretton but some doubt as to whether he's injured or not. Failing that, either Hector-Ingram or Duncan to start.

Seems logical to stay with the 3 centre backs to a) allow Buchanan & Byrne freedom to get forward/give us numbers in midfield & b) combat the dual threat of Dykes & Austin. I would also allow Jozwiak more of a free role in behind CKR & striker - he plays either wing & is excellent at keeping the ball so should be allowed to find pockets of space to cause damage. The big omission here is Knight who whilst getting through a lot of work, just isn't offering enough in the final 3rd. Shinnie is capable of providing the midfield bite alongside Bielik - we need to prioritise goals

image.png.795afc51370d95c74a4fdab82cedbae4.png

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Massive game Saturday but a real chance to grab some points. Whilst QPR got a decent result last night, they've been poor at home & haven't won there in their last 5 (two months).

Since Charlie Austin returned on loan, they've been fielding a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with Dykes (the tall, powerful Scottish/Aussie centre forward we were linked with in the summer) playing alongside Austin. Remember their midfield being pretty combative at PP back in November so don't think we'll be afforded the space we got against Bournemouth

Our priority has to be offering more of an attacking threat against a side unlikely to give us space to play. With that in mind, I'd firstly like to see two up top - Kazim is an impressive CF but he's not a threat on his own & certainly won't be against 3 centre halves - he needs someone playing off him & that needs to be a quickish striker playing beyond him & stretching the pitch. Bournemouth played quite a high line Tues to negate CKR - pace alongside him will stop QPR doing that. My first choice would be Stretton but some doubt as to whether he's injured or not. Failing that, either Hector-Ingram or Duncan to start.

Seems logical to stay with the 3 centre backs to a) allow Buchanan & Byrne freedom to get forward/give us numbers in midfield & b) combat the dual threat of Dykes & Austin. I would also allow Jozwiak more of a free role in behind CKR & striker - he plays either wing & is excellent at keeping the ball so should be allowed to find pockets of space to cause damage. The big omission here is Knight who whilst getting through a lot of work, just isn't offering enough in the final 3rd. Shinnie is capable of providing the midfield bite alongside Bielik - we need to prioritise goals

what as duncan done to warrant a start? 

29 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'd firstly like to see two up top - Kazim is an impressive CF but he's not a threat on his own & certainly won't be against 3 centre halves - he needs someone playing off him & that needs to be a quickish striker playing beyond him & stretching the pitch. Bournemouth played quite a high line Tues to negate CKR - pace alongside him will stop QPR doing that. My first choice would be Stretton

I don’t think Rooney will give a start to a player (Stretton/Duncan) who has had almost no game time. He values experience and that’s why we’ve seen less of the academy players recently. Instead, Rooney works out - quite shrewdly it seems - how he can set up his trusted players to give him what he needs against a particular team. A big part of this involves pushing Bielik further up the pitch. 
Ideally he will give the youngsters more game time as subs. But we can see he’s reluctant to do this if the game is still in the balance 

4 minutes ago, RYRAM said:

what as duncan done to warrant a start? 

He wouldn't be my first choice up there but I'm less concerned about recent form as I am about the profile of the player. Duncan is mobile & has a reputation as a good finisher - CKR is so good at securing possession up top, we just need someone around him to feed off that service.

At worse, he just makes QPR's backline play a little deeper which opens up a bit more space for Jozwiak & Bielik to do their stuff.

6 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t think Rooney will give a start to a player (Stretton) who has had almost no game time. He values experience and that’s why we’ve seen less of the academy players recently. Instead, Rooney works out - quite shrewdly it seems - how he can set up his trusted players to give him what he needs against a particular team. A big part of this involves pushing Bielik further up the pitch. 
Ideally he will give the youngsters more game time as subs. But we can see he’s reluctant to do this if the game is still in the balance 

My impression of Rooney is different - he seems quite happy to throw youngsters in although admittedly not from the start. We've seen Kornell McDonald, Kaide Gordon, Mitchell-Lawson and Stretton (v Coventry where he nearly sealed the win) all come on in crucial stages of matches.

Re Bielik, agree it makes more sense getting him slightly more advanced but if we have CKR up top without anyone running beyond him, QPR will be able to defend a high line & with their 5 man midfield (incld wingbacks) squeeze space for Bielik to operate in. They will also likely sit a man on top of him like Rotherham did - easier done when midfield is congested.

Highly unlikely to be anything other than an unchanged team. My fear is they will have to run out of steam in a big way soon given we never use subs.

My hope is that Sibley gets game time to warrant him wanting to stay. Rooney doesn't seem to rate him and with the club in dire straits we could end up selling our most valuable asset in the medium term for peanuts now. Just as Rowett refused to play Hughes so he he went for next to nothing.

We know Lawrence, Stretton, and Ibe won't figure and Marshall is unlikely to. Our lack of goals means I'd love to have an extra forward player in there and put Wisdom on the bench, but Rooney has been singing Wisdom's praises as a great leader, so he will start again and make me nervous all game.

Amazing to think so many of us were there at Loftus Road in February last year, when Rooney had a poor game and Waggy missed a sitter with pretty much the final kick to seal a 2-1 defeat, when we were so much the better team. The last match I went to. Would love to be at a game again. Hope it's not too long.

On 19/01/2021 at 23:24, Millenniumram said:

I take it I’ve missed all our goals from open play then. Just an opinion mate. I get what he offers when he picks the ball up deeper, but we need more goals in the front three when we play this system.

What makes you so sure we will play that system again. Rooney said in his interview he prefers 4 at the back and that system we used was purely for Bournemouth. 

32 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

He can’t strike a ball properly if that’s what he means. Should have scored at least 12 more goals from the chances he’s had. 

I would certainly say he can’t head the ball. 

I'd like to see him shoot more often. He has the ability to create space and should be able to do so from the edge of the box. 

What do they say about never changing a winning team (unless you have to). 

I think Rooney will go with same starting 11 but maybe changes on subs bench if injury's have cleared.

This one we cannot afford to lose, we need to keep them and as many other teams at the bottom as close to us as possible.

55 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

What makes you so sure we will play that system again. Rooney said in his interview he prefers 4 at the back and that system we used was purely for Bournemouth. 

Who said I was sure of anything? I said when we play that system, not that we are always going to. FWIW, I think similar points apply to our 4-3-3, because we only play with one, rather than two, attacking midfielders.

19 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Several good points and I generally agree. However I don't think Stretton will be fit and I'm wary about starting Duncan given that's he not really got going for the U23s. So I think if you were after that second striker up there your best bet is Waghorn.

Personally like you I think we need to crack the creativity problem as whilst our goals scored has gone up under Rooney it's not great, a lot of them seem to be coming from set pieces and at times we've looked a bit toothless. Different personal and options would help but I can't help but feel a tweak tactically is quite probably what we need.

With the security of a back three and Bielik in there I'd be sorely tempted to bring in Sibley in midfield in something like the following:

Roos

Wisdom Evans Clarke

Byrne                      Bielik                  Buchanan

Knight             Sibley

Jozwiak 

CKR

With that said I think it's almost certainly an unchanged team, the only possibly change I could see is Waghorn back in for Evans.

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Several good points and I generally agree. However I don't think Stretton will be fit and I'm wary about starting Duncan given that's he not really got going for the U23s. So I think if you were after that second striker up there your best bet is Waghorn.

Personally like you I think we need to crack the creativity problem as whilst our goals scored has gone up under Rooney it's not great, a lot of them seem to be coming from set pieces and at times we've looked a bit toothless. Different personal and options would help but I can't help but feel a tweak tactically is quite probably what we need.

With the security of a back three and Bielik in there I'd be sorely tempted to bring in Sibley in midfield in something like the following:

Roos

Wisdom Evans Clarke

Byrne                      Bielik                  Buchanan

Knight             Sibley

Jozwiak 

CKR

With that said I think it's almost certainly an unchanged team, the only possibly change I could see is Waghorn back in for Evans.

No thank you

Archived