Derby@QPR, Saturday 15.00 hrs.

Rev

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who said I was sure of anything? I said when we play that system, not that we are always going to. FWIW, I think similar points apply to our 4-3-3, because we only play with one, rather than two, attacking midfielders.

???

Shinnie & Knight get forward a lot in the 4-3-3 though

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Several good points and I generally agree. However I don't think Stretton will be fit and I'm wary about starting Duncan given that's he not really got going for the U23s. So I think if you were after that second striker up there your best bet is Waghorn.

Personally like you I think we need to crack the creativity problem as whilst our goals scored has gone up under Rooney it's not great, a lot of them seem to be coming from set pieces and at times we've looked a bit toothless. Different personal and options would help but I can't help but feel a tweak tactically is quite probably what we need.

With the security of a back three and Bielik in there I'd be sorely tempted to bring in Sibley in midfield in something like the following:

Roos

Wisdom Evans Clarke

Byrne                      Bielik                  Buchanan

Knight             Sibley

Jozwiak 

CKR

With that said I think it's almost certainly an unchanged team, the only possibly change I could see is Waghorn back in for Evans.

Fair point re Waghorn - my thinking was he has a tendency to drift wide (even when nominally playing CF) & it's someone playing off CKR's shoulder that we could really do with. Dare I say it, Marriott would have been ideal were he still here

Agree with you Rooney is likely to go unchanged or very close to it on the lines of 'don't change a winning team' but there is a fundamental difference in the challenge QPR will pose compared to Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

He can’t strike a ball properly if that’s what he means. Should have scored at least 12 more goals from the chances he’s had. 

Yes he could improve his end product and he probably will, but he has to play. We don't have any other players who can carry the ball up the pitch like he does, no other attacker with anywhere near his amount of pace. There are many other players I'd start criticising before I got to him.

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah, but Shinnie still isn’t an attacking mid, so he’s not likely to get you lots of goals/assists. So you’re more reliant on your front three producing.

I agree, as much as I like Shinnie and Knight, with a 4-3-3 you need the two CM's to be comfortable in possession and chip in with goals/assists/through balls etc. Shinnie and Knight are better out of possession in games when we don't have a lot of the ball, which is why I think we seem to play better against the top teams.

14 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I agree, as much as I like Shinnie and Knight, with a 4-3-3 you need the two CM's to be comfortable in possession and chip in with goals/assists/through balls etc. Shinnie and Knight are better out of possession in games when we don't have a lot of the ball, which is why I think we seem to play better against the top teams.

I think you’re ok with one or the other to be fair, for a bit of energy. But I think we lack balance with both, and struggle to break teams down because there’s not enough creativity and attacking threat in there. Think ideally you’d have Knight in there alongside someone more technical like Sibley, though clearly that would be harsh on Shinnie who’s had a good season.

56 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair point re Waghorn - my thinking was he has a tendency to drift wide (even when nominally playing CF) & it's someone playing off CKR's shoulder that we could really do with. Dare I say it, Marriott would have been ideal were he still here

Agree with you Rooney is likely to go unchanged or very close to it on the lines of 'don't change a winning team' but there is a fundamental difference in the challenge QPR will pose compared to Bournemouth.

I think that would be a case of instructions with him. However I do get your general point. Perhaps you could utilise Jozwiak in that way ? But I think he's better where he can pick up and run at people. Maybe even Sibley? He was frequently getting in down the sides against Birmingham. Doesn't  have to be strictly 2 up front in that case, maybe Sibley and Jozwiak either side of CKR but with license to stay high.  

With Bournemouth vs QPR I don't think it will be a massive difference between the two a side from quality. I expect we will see them try to pass it around a reasonable amount and that's what we have been getting joy out of exploiting with our pressing.

So hopefully it will be a positive result but I do agree that I would like to see an effort made to see us trying to have more creativity in the side.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I think that would be a case of instructions with him. However I do get your general point. Perhaps you could utilise Jozwiak in that way ? But I think he's better where he can pick up and run at people. Maybe even Sibley? He was frequently getting in down the sides against Birmingham. Doesn't  have to be strictly 2 up front in that case, maybe Sibley and Jozwiak either side of CKR but with license to stay high.  

With Bournemouth vs QPR I don't think it will be a massive difference between the two a side from quality. I expect we will see them try to pass it around a reasonable amount and that's what we have been getting joy out of exploiting with our pressing.

So hopefully it will be a positive result but I do agree that I would like to see an effort made to see us trying to have more creativity in the side.

Yeah think Jozwiak & Sibley are much better coming onto the ball. Sibley struggled earlier this season when playing higher although in fairness he was receiving the ball with his back to goal...not his game. He may be better playing closer to a genuine target man...we saw that at Birmingham.

This is where Im a little disappointed with Knight as thought there was potential for a Martin & Bryson type link between him & CKR. He doesnt seem to be getting close enough to CKR although I dont know if thats a specific instruction to hold his position (or whether the poor lad is knackered from his constant running). Does seem odd more chances seemingly falling to Shinnie than Knight though.

Just going back to Stretton/Duncan/Hector-Ingram, the bonus with all 3 is they will naturally want to play that role. Whilst not technically ready to play regular first team football, Im reminded of Callum Ball who came in, surprised teams & 'did a job' for a few games before being found out. We need to get results quick so a similar chaos theory was my thinking. Admit its unlikely to be Rooney's pick though. With that in mind, your line up (Jozwiak, Sibley, Knight, Bielik diamond with first 2 staying high) looks a good alternative

5 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I can't tell...... is this a joke?

Joswiak is the only player we have that drives at defences, but he doesn't always make the right decisions (better than Lawrence though and to be expected at Championship level). No way would I drop him and I think he is suffering from the lack of quality across the rest of the front line, but he and the rest of our forwards do need to actually start putting the ball in the net. I don't really think you can criticise MilleniumRam for his comment - we are the lowest scorers in the league for a reason - none of the front three are showing enough in the final third.

On 21/01/2021 at 13:04, Sparkle said:

On the basis of QPR writing to other clubs in the championship to ask for a reduction in their FFP fine ( covid) should we be asking for a reduction in our embargo - not have one - reduction in FFP allowance ( covid) - I am sure we will get a lovely response just like QPR say they have received 

Imam not sure the embargo is relevant atm .. not sure anyone would come and play for free would they ? ?

On 19/01/2021 at 21:08, Rev said:

Away day in London, will we make ex Forest boss Warburton toast, or will we turn in a stale performance?

Will our players have been paid their crust, if so will we rise to the occasion, and is the yeast we can expect a point?

Don't care as long as someone is the bread winner and scores the winning goal for us.

3 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I would, it would be an honour and a privilege. Right midfield no problem.

Me too but I’m carrying a niggling Achilles strain, so I’d take a place on the bench, give me the last 15 as an impact sub and I’ll see what I can do .. right wing back or DM with a license to get forward when needed. Someone hold my glasses and help me find my arch supports ?

My thinking is that CKR is our equivalent of Emile Heskey. Hard working, holds the ball up, gives defenders a hard time, basically leads the line and punches holes and creates space for others but isn't a natural finisher or a poacher in the 6 yard box. 

Unfortunately he isn't blessed with pace (unlike Heskey) so he doesn't really work the channels and break the lines. Heskey also had someone like Owen who adored and worked off him and picked up all the advantages. We play with CKR up front alone, so don't have anyone doing that. We have a solid base in midfield with a tiny bit of guile but none of them getting beyond CKR. The wide players work hard defensively but aren't goalscorers either. They don't really pop up at the back post and shooting from distance isn't a strength (besides '1 in 10' Lawrence). On paper, I can't see how we score. 

On Tue we played well, but created very few chances and the goal was a scrappy one from a corner. We seem set up to expect exactly what we are getting, solid performances but creating little. 

Massive game today, win and we can set aside the blip against Rotherham and look upwards. A poor performance and I do fear for us, the wheels could really come off. We desperately need another striking option and more creativity/attacking intent from the 5 in midfield (the full/wing backs, have been good). Sibley has to play somewhere and everyone needs to take more risks - what we wouldn't give for a Bryson or Russell at the moment. 

Need a result today, not because it’s a desperate must win but because the virtual/social media atmosphere is toxic around the club right now, a defeat and people will be out saying we’re doomed. That’s not a criticism of anyone, I get it, what is happening off the field is doing everyone’s head in. With the exception of Rotherham the only positive is the performances on the pitch.

Personally I think we should revert back to 4–3-3, similar to Birmingham and Sheff Weds with Sibley coming back in. I thought Wisdom was poor on Tuesday so I would keep Evans in who had a good game. I’m assuming Marshall is still out, if he’s fit I would bring him back for Roos.

Roos

Byrne        Evans       Clarke    Buchanan     

Knight      Bielik    Shinnie

Jozwiak   CKR     Sibley

Archived