Great TV from your Youth

Van der MoodHoover

24 minutes ago, Monty said:

we were taking about this show on the dcfcfans zoom last night - from where the 'Route One' label came from. It was a great quiz show with six seasons broadcast between 1965-71  here's a link with a bit of background for those interested and dcfc and Alan Durban get a mention https://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/route-one-and-all-that-the-quiz-ball-story

If I remember correctly Ian Ure was the fallout- surely he wasn't really that thick?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If I remember correctly Ian Ure was the fallout- surely he wasn't really that thick?

got him down as a 'superstar' in the linked article! and Ted Moult with his pipe on - on primetime tv! - quality nostalgia 

4 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Grange Hill ( the Tucker Jenkins years)

Sportsnight

3 2 1

Kickstart

However, the best surely, Superstars. Brian Jacks, Andy Ripley, Lyn Davies, Super Mac ?? 

Wasn't it Sportsview before it became Sportsnight - Peter Dimmock hosting?

Another great thread for us oldies.....

As already mentioned, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet (and the mysterons) were all brilliant even though they were ridiculous little plastic puppets, I was in love with Marina out of Stingray....

Doctor Who was serious stuff back then.

Game shows that stick out were the Golden Shot, Sale of the Century (and now, live from Norwich....!!!!!!)

Randall and Hopkirk (deceased), Z Cars, The Saint.

17 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

As already mentioned, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet (and the mysterons) were all brilliant even though they were ridiculous little plastic puppets, I was in love with Marina out of Stingray....

Game shows that stick out were the Golden Shot, Sale of the Century (and now, live from Norwich....!!!!!!)

Absolutely my Mum still calls every new cat she has Marty after Kenneth Cope's character in R&H Watched a few episodes of it before Christmas on of the catch up channels unfortunately it hasn't stood the test of time well. Adding to your list I would offer Persuaders! with Moore and Curtis now that would take a king's ransom to get in the can. 

5 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Re-watched it over the Summer on Netflix. Still holds up a lot.

That'll explain why it's not on the digital channels anymore. Tried to buy the whole series on dvd once but was unable to. There was apparently a dispute between the writer and production company (I think it was that, definitely a dispute somewhere) that was preventing the entire series being released. May have now been resolved as that was some years ago.

8 hours ago, Monty said:

got him down as a 'superstar' in the linked article! and Ted Moult with his pipe on - on primetime tv! - quality nostalgia 

Ted Moults daughter was in the same class as my sister at secondary school. When he was doing those Everest window ads.

Random I know. 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Some good shouts there.

Used to love Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).  Caught it on UK Gold 3 or 4 years ago.  Agree with @SIXTEEN AGAIN, that it hasn't aged well.

Muckerette has a long standing crush on Captain Scarlet!  (Seriously!)

Marina was well fit!  (That's not the same as having a bloody crush on her, though!)

Who didn't hide behind the sofa for Dr Who?  Scary stuff!

Sale of the Century was on at 18:30 on a Saturday for a long time.  It coincided with the mobile chippy van starting it's evening run on our street... and mum starting her shift on it.  She'd pop out to work.  We'd follow after ten minutes, grab a few massive bags of the first batch of chips, and sit with some freshly buttered "Take & Bake" straight from the oven, devouring chip butties from a tray on our laps... Always perfectly timed for "And now... From Norwich... It's the quiz of the week..."!   (Don't think it was live though!)   ??

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

That'll explain why it's not on the digital channels anymore. Tried to buy the whole series on dvd once but was unable to. There was apparently a dispute between the writer and production company (I think it was that, definitely a dispute somewhere) that was preventing the entire series being released. May have now been resolved as that was some years ago.

I've never come across it on Netflix or any other service. 

One of the things in dispute was the rights to the songs used. There was usually an original song in each episode. There are dvd box sets , which have the songs missing, or replaced with substitute music. 

There are also box sets where some of the discs play, and some don't.

I have all the original shows on a hard drive, which my son , errm 'obtained' somehow.

Great show. Especially the earlier seasons.

Archived