Great TV from your Youth

Van der MoodHoover

Rubovia was on my watch list. Michael Foot appeared in this episode.

My favourites were the westerns. Rawhide with Clint Eastwood - how the hell does he keep going - was good.  Bonanza, Wells Fargo, Cheyenne and The Virginian were all enjoyable. In those days the TV companies spent a bit of money on programmes and they made sure the script made sense and had a good plot. This, of course, was before they found out that the mugs would be happy enough watching people sitting around doing and saying nothing of interest. The Virginian had very high production values and the shows still look great today. The main actor James Drury died last year.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alias Smith and Jones

8 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Rubovia was on my watch list. Michael Foot appeared in this episode.

My favourites were the westerns. Rawhide with Clint Eastwood - how the hell does he keep going - was good.  Bonanza, Wells Fargo, Cheyenne and The Virginian were all enjoyable. In those days the TV companies spent a bit of money on programmes and they made sure the script made sense and had a good plot. This, of course, was before they found out that the mugs would be happy enough watching people sitting around doing and saying nothing of interest. The Virginian had very high production values and the shows still look great today. The main actor James Drury died last year.

Alias Smith and Jones has just popped into my head ?

3 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

One of the best and timeless because it doesn’t matter what era you grew up in the issues you had as a teenager are still the same.  I’d moved into adulthood when this was on but me and my girlfriend (now wife) used to watch it.  I remember an episode where Kevin was obsessed with the new girl in a French class and all he could say was “voulez-vous du beurre“.  Me and my wife still say that when getting butter out of the fridge ?.

Some programmes I loved.. Wurzel Gummidge, Krypton Factor and Rentaghost spring to mind. 

Then a few others that stick in my mind as weird strong moments/scenes in time with little memory of the actual programme. eg 'The Adventure Game' (the last bit where they tried to get across a maze in space to a train I think...) 'By The Sword Divided' (a scene where they ducked 'witches') and 'Dick Turpin' (where someone chased people with dogs). 

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Some programmes I loved.. Wurzel Gummidge, Krypton Factor and Rentaghost spring to mind. 

Then a few others that stick in my mind as weird strong moments/scenes in time with little memory of the actual programme. eg 'The Adventure Game' (the last bit where they tried to get across a maze in space to a train I think...) 'By The Sword Divided' (a scene where they ducked 'witches') and 'Dick Turpin' (where someone chased people with dogs). 

the Adventure Game..... great shout.. brilliant TV.

Rentaghost used to scare the crap out of me...

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Anyone remember All in the game? It was Filmed at Ashton Gate in the late 70s and I remember Derby winning it one year. Cannot remember much about it apart from a few skill tests such as keepy uppie.

Derby won the first one.

The brainchild of then Bristol City manager Alan Dicks.

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Some great shows already mentioned on here..

Grange Hill and then the spin off Tuckers Luck.

Byker Grove

Vicky the Viking was class

Mr Benn

and what was the fantasy role playing game - Knights something.?

and then, slightly later in life but still a classic

The Crystal Maze

I used to hate the 10 minutes of John Cravens newsround....

I also remember not knowing what was going to be on TV next, because we didnt get a daily newspaper, radio times etc... so that was always exciting/disappointing.

Radio and TV Times... We had both for the Xmas editions, but never at any other time of the year!  ?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Used to love that.  Probably the only cowboy stuff I did enjoy.  ?

... also liked Alas Smith and Jones, not that they are remotely similar!  ?

Do you recall ‘The Virginian’ that was ok 

Archived