Louie Sibley

Jordan Brown

Morgan Whittaker

Jahmal Hector-Ingram

Kornell MacDonald

Jack Stretton

Louie Watson

Kaide Gordon

...with more to come I'm sure. Astonishing ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember speaking with an academy director at a current prem club about young players and giving them debuts. He said for every 10 players you give debuts to only 1 or 2 will ever go on to do anything long term.

Sadly I think there are a few there who wont have a long term future at the club, however there are players there i now class as first team regulars and key members of the team. That's quite a return.

It’s incredible really when you see it all laid out like that. The investment in the academy is really paying off now, and huge credit must go to Wassall and all the youth coaches for helping to produce so many players who are capable of stepping up to first team level.

On a slightly negative not (what do you expect?!), I still think a few of those debuts were forced a bit early by us having not enough depth in the squad. That isn’t really good for anyone, least of all the development of young players when they’re thrown in the deep end before they’re ready. That’s something we need to sort out over the coming transfer windows, by bringing in more players to boost our first team squad depth, so we don’t become over reliant on the academy.

None of that detracts from the fact that a fair few on that list have gone on to properly establish themselves in the first team squad though. Some have even gone beyond that and moved on to bigger and better things! It really is a massive credit to the academy the number of Championship quality players that it’s producing, it’s really helping us out in these tough times. Long may the production line continue!

49 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

I’m sure Festy Ebosele would also be on that list if it wasn’t for injury..... he does look a great prospect

He does. But he also looks a bit grumpy.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s incredible really when you see it all laid out like that. The investment in the academy is really paying off now, and huge credit must go to Wassall and all the youth coaches for helping to produce so many players who are capable of stepping up to first team level.

On a slightly negative not (what do you expect?!), I still think a few of those debuts were forced a bit early by us having not enough depth in the squad. That isn’t really good for anyone, least of all the development of young players when they’re thrown in the deep end before they’re ready. That’s something we need to sort out over the coming transfer windows, by bringing in more players to boost our first team squad depth, so we don’t become over reliant on the academy.

None of that detracts from the fact that a fair few on that list have gone on to properly establish themselves in the first team squad though. Some have even gone beyond that and moved on to bigger and better things! It really is a massive credit to the academy the number of Championship quality players that it’s producing, it’s really helping us out in these tough times. Long may the production line continue!

When you say bigger and better things, I hope you’re not referring to Sheffield United. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

When you say bigger and better things, I hope you’re not referring to Sheffield United. 

I did have a rethink once I’d sent that post, probably wasn’t the best choice of words! I guess they moved onto theoretically better things, although it isn’t exactly going to plan...

Sheffield United will never be a bigger club than us either, we’re massive ?

13 hours ago, KBB said:

I remember speaking with an academy director at a current prem club about young players and giving them debuts. He said for every 10 players you give debuts to only 1 or 2 will ever go on to do anything long term.

Sadly I think there are a few there who wont have a long term future at the club, however there are players there i now class as first team regulars and key members of the team. That's quite a return.

Was he talking from a Premier League point of view? I would say any young player that makes a career from League 2 upwards is a success. 

4 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Can’t wait to sell Jason Knight to Burnley for £2 million in the summer ?

Jason Knight is an odd one in that respect. I love the kid, he’s the most consistent, he’s versatile, he’s so hard working, the stamina he has is insane. However, you do get the sense that he maybe a low high floor/low ceiling player and his potential isn’t quite as high as some of the other youngsters we have. 

Obviously, this might be way off - and of course I hope it is - it’s just a sense I get. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Jason Knight is an odd one in that respect. I love the kid, he’s the most consistent, he’s versatile, he’s so hard working, the stamina he has is insane. However, you do get the sense that he maybe a low high floor/low ceiling player and his potential isn’t quite as high as some of the other youngsters we have. 

Obviously, this might be way off - and of course I hope it is - it’s just a sense I get. 

He just has to add a little composure on the ball and he will be a Premier league player. 

Like many others in the team he doesn't always have an awareness of the players in space. 

That will come. He's still young and his hard work helps his team mates immensely. 

There are other more talented footballers but will they attain let alone maintain such high levels of effort? 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

He is to us what Ben Osborne was to Forest, although I rate Knight higher, not biased or anything.

Every team needs a Knight, he runs all day, can tackle and can score goals, plus he is versatile.

8 or 9 goals in 50 odd games and a full Republic of Ireland international, getting glowing reviews.

I'd want Hendrick money before we even started talking about selling.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He is to us what Ben Osborne was to Forest, although I rate Knight higher, not biased or anything.

Every team needs a Knight, he runs all day, can tackle and can score goals, plus he is versatile.

8 or 9 goals in 50 odd games and a full Republic of Ireland international, getting glowing reviews.

I'd want Hendrick money before we even started talking about selling.

Absolutely. He's a real steady player that is absolutely going to be at the least a midtable Premier League midfielder.

15 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

And 2 of them purchased by a Premier League team and another 4 regular starters. That is a pretty decent hit rate.

Crazy to see some of the next generation already in the first team. Watson looked like a young Max Bird!

A young max bird... I think max bird needs to make the grade before we can use that line. 

Archived