New Manager

dantheram

1 minute ago, Ram Bam said:

One thing I have noticed in the snippets we've seen from the training ground this week is how relaxed things seem to have been. Curtis's double nutmeg, races with big inflatable balls and other games means in pretty much every picture everyone has had a smile on their face. I was staunchly Cocu in until the last 2 games where I think the downturn in performances warranted a change. However I do wonder whether his training was a bit tactical and maybe getting everyone enjoying their football again will help to unlock some more adventurous performances 

A happy team is a productive one, I’m clinging on to that hope anyway ???

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Why hasn’t LR made a huge impact before this week ?

Possibly because Cocu relied on his trusted coaches and used Rosenior for info rather than hands on coaching? or else he simply had to do as he was told when on the training pitch and has now got the freedom to coach as he wants to.....

My No.1 choice is still Slavisa Jokanovic. Style of play. Two promotions. Love the idea of what he could do with this set of players.

Would be more than happy with Eddie Howe, too. Fantastic job with Bournemouth, obviously. Knows the league. Have watched and read a lot about the level of detail he goes into developing players. There's a reason why he's been linked to the likes of Tottenham, Everton, Arsenal and England.

Could even find myself getting onboard with someone like Sam Allardyce. He's one of the only managers on the betting list who strikes me as a big enough personality to boss these players, and Captain Rooney. Any reservations about how the team may or may not play under him are speculative...and I think he'd probably get us promoted, too.

I've cooled on Paul Cook somewhat. Not too sure Steve Cooper is as great as some make out, and I'm not sure his teams play the type of attacking-football some automatically assume from a Swansea side. As for that, nobody else really gets me going.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Anyone who really believed Rafa was going to come had been sniffing the petrol for the lawnmower again.

Really when you think how this takeover business has been conducted it comes across as very professional. Lack of leaks does not please fans but it is the best way. It does seem that a measured sequence of events is unfolding and that suitable announcements will be mades as and when required. The government cannot stop leaks so these people  are clearly doing it right.  My son works in finances and he was telling me that getting the details right is the name of the game. This type of negotiation must be mightily complicated hence the steady approach. There is no place for haste only for getting it perfectly right. It augurs well for the future in my opinion. COYR

My 3 favourites for the job have a couple of things in common...lowish profile & their sides play good football. 

Nigel Adkins would still be my favourite pick. Excellent jobs at Scunthorpe, Southampton & Hull, with a Prem promotion on his CV also. His style of play is attacking & energetic and his incredibly positive character would be very useful picking up our morale ravaged squad. Probably has a point to prove still after losing his Southampton job in pretty unfair circumstances to Pochettino.

Paul Cook would be an interesting pick. Did very well at Chesterfield & Portsmouth and was desperately unlucky with Wigan last year. Ticks the 'up and coming' box and his teams play the right way, so synergy with our squad (as per link)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/threeamigoswigan.com/2017/05/31/paul-cook-the-right-man-for-the-job/amp/

Final contender but least likely to join would be Steve Cooper. Although a relative novice compared to the other two, he had a very impressive first season at Swansea and a superb record in charge of the England youth teams (including winning the under 17s World Cup). The fact his teams look to dominate the ball & his work with young players makes him very suited to our current squad. The issue of course is he's employed at a club with genuine Prem ambitions & would be expensive to prise away.

10 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Really when you think how this takeover business has been conducted it comes across as very professional. Lack of leaks does not please fans but it is the best way. It does seem that a measured sequence of events is unfolding and that suitable announcements will be mades as and when required. The government cannot stop leaks so these people  are clearly doing it right.  My son works in finances and he was telling me that getting the details right is the name of the game. This type of negotiation must be mightily complicated hence the steady approach. There is no place for haste only for getting it perfectly right. It augurs well for the future in my opinion. COYR

None of that really contradicts the notion you'd have to have been huffing glue to think Benitez was going to take this job at this point in time. They may be prefessional and ambitious and very good at keeping the tight ship, but trying to sell a club bottom the second division to someone who already has a job (very well paid) and if he wanted to change a job could easily get a job in a top league just seems such an unlikely pitch. What would entice him? Money would be silly, risk to his reputation would be significant, things are still in motion and we don't actually have an owner with the entire wealth of an oil-state behind him.

Suppose this conversation comes up in may or june next year the prospect may be entirly different. Takeover completed, the team recover to mid-table finish and the owners make a pitch on a this time we're serious basis.

Archived