New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/11/2020 at 19:50, Kernow said:

I’m personally staggered that quite so many would turn their noses up at Rafa Benitez. We’re bottom of the Championship. It’s been said that his football is too negative, but he’s won league titles, European titles and super cup titles in multiple nations.

Between 2001 & 2016 he managed Valencia, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Napoli & Real Madrid with only one calendar year out of the game. That’s a lot if successful clubs over a long period for someone who is too defensive and not that great.

Above all, it would signal the ambition our new owners would have. If they can convince Rafa to come, and pay him enough, then they are much less likely to be the chancers we were warned about right?

There’s a few names I would be happy with seeing here, all very different in pedigree. They include Jokanovic, Paul Cook, Jody Morris - all would bring different things to the club and handle things in different ways. But I would also be delighted if we were able to attract someone like Rafa to the club, especially given our current position.

Rafa’s ok if he has a trillion pounds to spend to make one decent team out of a large squad but we can’t spend much in the championship.

1 hour ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Surprised no one's suggested Michael Flynn from Newport... I've always thought the 'mark' of a good manager is the ability to turn teams around. When Flynn took over, they were bottom of L2. He led them to survival, then turned them into playoff finalists within 2 years... and has kept them challenging every season on a very little budget compared to other teams in the league. Pretty impressive.

In the same ball park as Ryan Lowe. Both young manages who have shown a lot of promise in their early careers and are most likely on an upward trajectory. Would probably be less of a gamble than Rooney, Terry, etc, and more of a gamble than those with Championship experience.

I think this sort of gamble is the way to go. That or someone who I've never heard of from abroad but who the people in charge of finding the new boss should know about.

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

In the same ball park as Ryan Lowe. Both young manages who have shown a lot of promise in their early careers and are most likely on an upward trajectory. Would probably be less of a gamble than Rooney, Terry, etc, and more of a gamble than those with Championship experience.

I think this sort of gamble is the way to go. That or someone who I've never heard of from abroad but who the people in charge of finding the new boss should know about.

Main danger with these type of managers though is they can often struggle when joining a club like Derby. Not sure whether it’s the level of expectation, the magnitude of the job or a bit of both.

Nathan Jones springs to mind. Did great at Luton but totally bombed at Stoke and got the boot. Now back at Luton and doing okay with them.

But then again we appointed an ex-Dutch international who’d played at the top of the European game and won three Eridivesie titles who bombed when he came here so what do I know.?

3 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Why would he even be considered? am I missing something?

Get a few of your mates to start placing bets on the poison dwarf and you could get betting suspended on him as well if you want. They will just update the odds to be more in their favour. There are probably about five people in the entire country who know who the next manager is expected to be and I'm guessing, although this is just pulled out of thin air, that these people won't be the people placing bets on these managers. 99.99% of people know nothing about this and are just taking a punt in the hope they can make some money.

Can someone fill me in on Cowley. .. I thought it was a antediluvian  car factory near Oxford. Then it sounds like he’s got a brother / partner like those guys at Salford FC  who just sounded like mouthy yobbos. Then I hear he, or they, are Hoof ball merchants with league 1 occasional dogged success written all over them.  .. I have a feeling of foreboding akin to a Chemistry  test on Tuesday morning circa 1973. 

9 minutes ago, Lamp Frankard said:

Main danger with these type of managers though is they can often struggle when joining a club like Derby. Not sure whether it’s the level of expectation, the magnitude of the job or a bit of both.

Nathan Jones springs to mind. Did great at Luton but totally bombed at Stoke and got the boot. Now back at Luton and doing okay with them.

But then again we appointed an ex-Dutch international who’d played at the top of the European game and won three Eridivesie titles who bombed when he came here so what do I know.?

You make a fair point, although I think there was something clearly very wrong with the culture at Stoke, and it only just seems to have been turned around. I'd back Jones to do well in a higher-profile job.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Get a few of your mates to start placing bets on the poison dwarf and you could get betting suspended on him as well if you want. They will just update the odds to be more in their favour. There are probably about five people in the entire country who know who the next manager is expected to be and I'm guessing, although this is just pulled out of thin air, that these people won't be the people placing bets on these managers. 99.99% of people know nothing about this and are just taking a punt in the hope they can make some money.

Yes agreed. I have a feeling (hope) that those so called current bookies favourites won't get anywhere near the DCFC job. 

19 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You make a fair point, although I think there was something clearly very wrong with the culture at Stoke, and it only just seems to have been turned around. I'd back Jones to do well in a higher-profile job.

It does seem like there was some toxic stuff going on at Stoke. I’m not entirely convinced that something similar isn’t happening with us at the moment. Hence my trepidation.

31 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Bloody hell no. It will lead to one or two on here thinking he's a genuine candidate and we'll not hear the end of it.

Archived