New Manager

dantheram

35 minutes ago, Shang said:

Apart from up front, 100%. Just because we're down in the dumps right now doesn't mean the current crop doesn't have a higher ceiling and potential than Mac1s team.

What??? Wow!! No way do we have better players now than Mac 1. Holmes better than Bryson or Hughes?? Look through your comparison - pretty much every player in Mac 1 walks into this side. 

Not that I want McClaren back, we need to move on from those times. Part of the problem is that every side since then has been compared to Mac 1. Let it go. The only way I’d want McClaren back is if he was No.2 to Rooney. And I don’t want Rooney! Jokanovic for me, maybe Howe. Cook as third choice. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, enachops said:

What??? Wow!! No way do we have better players now than Mac 1. Holmes better than Bryson or Hughes?? Look through your comparison - pretty much every player in Mac 1 walks into this side. 

Not that I want McClaren back, we need to move on from those times. Part of the problem is that every side since then has been compared to Mac 1. Let it go. The only way I’d want McClaren back is if he was No.2 to Rooney. And I don’t want Rooney! Jokanovic for me, maybe Howe. Cook as third choice. 

I tried to pick players of a similar play style in that lineup to show how we've got players that match Macs old set ups. Swap Sibley in for Holmes, he definitely has a higher ceiling than both Bryson and Hughes.

To clarify: I'm not saying I want Mac back. I'm saying that if he comes in, it's not like we'll have to wait till January for new signings to play the way he's used to. He can literally come straight in and get the team going.

4 minutes ago, Shang said:

I tried to pick players of a similar play style in that lineup to show how we've got players that match Macs old set ups. Swap Sibley in for Holmes, he definitely has a higher ceiling than both Bryson and Hughes.

To clarify: I'm not saying I want Mac back. I'm saying that if he comes in, it's not like we'll have to wait till January for new signings to play the way he's used to. He can literally come straight in and get the team going.

As another poster put, take Martin out of the side and even Mac 1 struggled. He was key to everything. We’ve missed Keogh massively too. Two massive players. I don’t think it’d be that easy to get this team firing. No doubt we’re massively underachieving though. 

1 hour ago, Shang said:

Not without a direct replacement for Martin he cant, and Waghorn isn't it.

There's nobody with the precision and class of Will Hughes 

There's not even a Bent & Ince style combo to hang his hat on for when he's not really bothered about sacrificing the teams' long term prospects for a short term goals boost like his mac2 run, although Waghorn is actually more likely to score when played our wide than as a CF

19 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It might be a bit of a reach, but my 8 year old reckons we should go for Jurgen Klopp. I don't know whether he's ITK or not but just thought I'd put it out there.

There's no smoke without fire ?‍♂️

Klopp : Derby County is the club I have dreamed of managing since I was ein kleiner Junge.

Mo and Sadio can't wait to join me. 

Out of curiosity, on the Mac 1 comparison to todays squad...are people judging Mac 1 players by what he turned them into or what they were before he took over?

What he turned them into is obviosuly better than what we have now, but what could he turn this squad into is the arguement surely?

On paper a fair few of our current players are potentially better than the players Mac 1 originally took over. 

Marshall is better than Grant, Byrne is better than Christie, as much as I like Bucko, for a footballing team Clarke is better. I liked Ward but technically Lawrence is a far better player, Jozwiak will be / is better than Russell.

Central midfield is the main area for comparison, can Bielik be better than Thorne, 100% yes for me. Knight is a more like for like with Bryson imo and could be a very good box to box midfielder with the right management. Then the final cm spot, Sibley? Most like Hughes in style of play, has all the potential to match or better Hughes.

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Out of curiosity, on the Mac 1 comparison to todays squad...are people judging Mac 1 players by what he turned them into or what they were before he took over?

What he turned them into is obviosuly better than what we have now, but what could he turn this squad into is the arguement surely?

On paper a fair few of our current players are potentially better than the players Mac 1 originally took over. 

Marshall is better than Grant, Byrne is better than Christie, as much as I like Bucko, for a footballing team Clarke is better. I liked Ward but technically Lawrence is a far better player, Jozwiak will be / is better than Russell.

Central midfield is the main area for comparison, can Bielik be better than Thorne, 100% yes for me. Knight is a more like for like with Bryson imo and could be a very good box to box midfielder with the right management. Then the final cm spot, Sibley? Most like Hughes in style of play, has all the potential to match or better Hughes.

But, without the centre forward pivot, and a ch who can bring the ball out and play an accurate 30 yard pass, all the rest breaks down as it did in 2015.

22 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

image.gif.d6f1f6e6d662b80076d3e4754fe40fe6.gif

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

This is what I was saying but articulated a lot better! Our current team has more natural pace, and attacking-minded players. Mac transformed some middling neither here or there players inherited from Clough into attackers, but they didn't start off that way. 

Archived