Penalties

Ilkestonian

I've been surprised by the number of penalty claims we've had turned down this season and I accept that this might be me being a bit paranoid or thinking there might be a conspiracy theory against us but it's crossed my mind that in the absence of being able to give us a points deduction, the EFL has instructed refs not to award us a penalty in order to punish us in other ways. I'm trying to forget most matches this season so can't list them but, every time I think we have a decent penalty shout dismissed, the thought crosses my mind and with each additional one I wonder even more. Anybody else thought similar? 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the same conspiracy during most games that we play, then I remember that it's the FA in charge of the refs not the EFL. They're just largely inept I'm afraid (Tim Robinson excepted), wondering if they're corrupt probably gives them too much credit.

It’s the FA that set the referees, not the EFL. There’s no conspiracy, just incompetence. The quality of officiating in this country is embarrassing really. 

Can’t use it as an excuse mind, it affects every team, and you’ll get just as many decisions go for you as against you across the season generally.

8 minutes ago, old ilkestonian said:

Thanks for the info about the FA in charge of refs and not the EFL, I'd forgotten that - still be nice to get a penalty though despite there being no guarantee we'd score it. 

We've got the penalty master Waggers. Look how he buried that one against Swansea last season. Oh, wait a minute

I think pretty much everbody loves a good conspiracy theory, but believing in one whole different thing.

There's been multiple soft penalty claims turned down, and TBH I'd be fuming if similar claims would've been were given against us.

6 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well I thought Buchanan against Stoke was stonewall once when we got the feed from the camera behind the goal    And he was almost sent off !! 

It was giveable but not stonewall. You certainly couldn't blame the  ref for not giving it with the angle he saw it at. 

12 minutes ago, sage said:

It was giveable but not stonewall. You certainly couldn't blame the  ref for not giving it with the angle he saw it at. 

agree with your comment about the angle      Just saw this tho Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey has claimed that Derby County were not awarded a “clear penalty” against Stoke City.

I disagree that it evens out over a season. And it's surely apparent we have been significantly hard done by. But it's not simply this season, it's been the case for a few years now. 

While there is no "conspiracy" as such, referees do not feel inclined to give us decisions. Why is that? What are we not doing that other teams do? Or what are we going that they don't? 

Football is about fine margins and getting fair treatment would be worth a considerable points haul to us. We should be analysing the situation and also discussing it with those in charge of the refs. 

Archived