Penalties

Ilkestonian

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spanish said:

good point and the pressure is likely to be enormous

I can just see Tom taking his massive run up to try to spin and rotate his shot like a corkscrew a la Roy of the Rovers. 

Trouble is, without ball boys it takes a flippin long time to get the ball back from Row Z. 

3 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I don't believe it's a conspiracy at all, but to add fuel to the fire, we are he only team in the championship so far to have not been given a penalty

but in context we didn't cross the half way line in the first quarter of the season.

7 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I don't believe it's a conspiracy at all, but to add fuel to the fire, we are he only team in the championship so far to have not been given a penalty

Not sure what's that got to do with a conspiracy theory - you have to get into the penalty box to win one. That speaks volumes more about our attacking intent then being stitched up.

1 hour ago, WamRam said:

Are we all forgetting the one on Lawrence against Coventry?? 

I’m finding it difficult to recall anything of note in any of our matches.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Yes. I don't recall it at all.

The one I do remember was a push on someone as a ball was dropping towards them. Maybe on Holmes?

Ball played through. TL is goal side of the ball & defender, slides right through him doesn't touch the ball and rolls into the keepers hands

I listened to Dermot Gallagher today talking about all the major penalty claims over the weekend. Buchanan's was one of them. So vague overall like nearly all decisions could have gone the other way. He favoured no penalty on our claim yet we see lesser claims given every week. He said that the ref blew for an expected penalty and then changed his mind. Bamford has mastered penalty claims and we could do well to take note. I do not claim to understand offside, handball or penalty awards when a few years ago it seemed so much simpler. VAR is the best arbiter that we need now. So many games are decided by questionable decisions these days 

20 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

The angle he saw it at is far from a decent excuse, it's piss poor refereeing to not be in a position to see from a decent angle. 

Wow. 

How can he know in advance what position to be in? 

How does he know which way a player is going to pass or run?

He placed himself centrally on the edge of the box. 

15 minutes ago, sage said:

Wow. 

How can he know in advance what position to be in? 

How does he know which way a player is going to pass or run?

He placed himself centrally on the edge of the box. 

I'd have to take a look at it from a good angle to see it properly but I am just saying as a general rule the positioning of a referee is a crucial factor in their skill as a referee. The good refs don't have many where they can't see what's going on and if they do they have to trust the linesman not guess. 

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I'd have to take a look at it from a good angle to see it properly but I am just saying as a general rule the positioning of a referee is a crucial factor in their skill as a referee. The good refs don't have many where they can't see what's going on and if they do they have to trust the linesman not guess. 

He was in a decent position, however the only definitive view is from behind the goal. That was the only camera that showed the defender knocking Buchanan's foot onto the ball.

I find it funny that the EFL couldn’t dock us 12pts so we essentially said ‘you know what, let’s just play poo at the tart of the season instead, and give everyone else a 12pt head start. 

we were all a bit paranoid about what would happen if we got docked points, then relieved when we won the court case. Then we’re in the same position we would have been anyway (imagine what position we’d be in if we played this badly and got the penalty, double whammy). 

Archived