v Swansea (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

6 hours ago, Yani P said:

Hardly moaning ..I was just commenting..if you bothered to read through the thread I actually called it a sublime performance..some people need a reality check jeez...

Sorry, there are a few people he are so committed to not wanting WR that they will look for anything to criticise him for.

this is my reality check though

1. we won, we stifled them and by the end they had no answer despite using 5 subs
  2. none of the 11 on the pitch wanted to leave and who could complain about that.  They have had enough of turgid forlorn games and it must have been great to dominate a top performing team ion the way they did.  I got the feeling that not conceding was a badge of honour
  3. The fact is in the score line, nobody knows what would have happened if he had made substitutions earlier
  4. it was 2-0 not 4-0 (which it could easily have been)

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think as well as being more defensively solid the switch to a 433 was important. At the start of the season I had us down for 433 with Waghorn RW, Jozwiak LW and Knight Box to box with Bielik holding and with that and a quality addition upfront we would be top 6, obviously we have had a poo show start and midtable would be good now but I think if we stick with that core we will be better than most teams. 

Waghorn and Jozwiak are much better suited to RW or LW than the narrow 4231 role especially Waghorn whos best position is RW or inside right as I think it was called, we saw this under Lampard. Jozwiak is so fast he suits the left wing position running inside like Mane does for Liverpool and Kazim is that quality striker we needed just need to utilise Sibley and Ibe properly now and keep being solid in defence and we can fly up the table. 

5 minutes ago, Redshaw_Ram said:

What a joy it was to watch last night. The first half in particular.

Bielik, Byrne, CKR... outstanding. The whole teams deserves credit.

when I  put it on Shinnie was so far up the pitch I thought we were kicking the other way?

13 hours ago, minesahartington said:

Win at millwall, draw Brentford and spank Swansea. Well done Wayne 

But some would have you believe that the opposition didn't turn, had a off day. Not that they only played as well as the Rams allowed them to. The fact that in the last three games the opposing side only got one shot on target says something. We are going to have off days, but at least we can now see that on our day were good enough for anyone.

Everyone was glad to see a departure from two holding players. Shinnie can always drop back if necessary.

Plus there is now hope once again of Sibley and knight.

9 hours ago, caymanram said:

I wonder what’s the real issue and problem with Mike te Wierik..?‍♂️
So much promise (and cost)- a good player doesn’t become a bad one overnight. A real strange one .

With him on top form he’d be a real bonus I reckon.

A move away from home, A division where imo there is no equal, A physical side needs a tough mentality, A player that WR has seen but thinks he doesn't fit the requirements of this division, See WR himself not fitting the bill when it comes to making the team.

9 hours ago, caymanram said:

I wonder what’s the real issue and problem with Mike te Wierik..?‍♂️
So much promise (and cost)- a good player doesn’t become a bad one overnight. A real strange one .

With him on top form he’d be a real bonus I reckon.

Maybe he was never actually that good as some would have make out. 

Thought the real issue was apparent after watching his performances on the field - not at the races whatsoever and was found out horribly. 

9 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Not Knocking Rooney ,things are looking up. However let's hope this isn't just a flash in the pan. Too early to start making judgement on his managerial abilities. Let's hope he does but I think 10 or 12 games will give us a more accurate assesment

I have watched last night's game three times. It is no flash in the pan. Massive improvement in organisation, fitness, determination, passing and above all, team spirit. Form over six games is now tenth in the league. That is good management and coaching. From the squad that we have available, only Ibe on top form could improve that team.

43 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Maybe he was never actually that good as some would have make out. 

Thought the real issue was apparent after watching his performances on the field - not at the races whatsoever and was found out horribly. 

Championship is a rock hard league. Predicting results from 13 games on a Saturday is so difficult. We think that we know who should win but we are so often wrong. I saw no way that we could win that game last night. There was no evidence that we could score two goals against such a strong defence. There was only a smattering of evidence that we could play like we did in the first half. I hoped that we would win but I was blown away by the actual performance. Whether we can continue like this remains to be seen but I have seen enough evidence to suggest that we can and will. A mindset had been broken. Onwards and upwards. COYR

3 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I think as well as being more defensively solid the switch to a 433 was important. At the start of the season I had us down for 433 with Waghorn RW, Jozwiak LW and Knight Box to box with Bielik holding and with that and a quality addition upfront we would be top 6, obviously we have had a poo show start and midtable would be good now but I think if we stick with that core we will be better than most teams. 

Waghorn and Jozwiak are much better suited to RW or LW than the narrow 4231 role especially Waghorn whos best position is RW or inside right as I think it was called, we saw this under Lampard. Jozwiak is so fast he suits the left wing position running inside like Mane does for Liverpool and Kazim is that quality striker we needed just need to utilise Sibley and Ibe properly now and keep being solid in defence and we can fly up the table. 

I thought we have been playing 433 but with inferior quality and effort and by that I mean jozwiak prefers and seems better on the left (sorry Lawrence) and waghorn battles best on the right and has great delivery and can actually shoot in addition to excellent free kicks ( sorry Lawrence and sorry Holmes) whilst the midfield 3 seem to trust each other and we aren’t playing stupidly at the back with the nonsense passing.

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Championship is a rock hard league. Predicting results from 13 games on a Saturday is so difficult. We think that we know who should win but we are so often wrong. I saw no way that we could win that game last night. There was no evidence that we could score two goals against such a strong defence. There was only a smattering of evidence that we could play like we did in the first half. I hoped that we would win but I was blown away by the actual performance. Whether we can continue like this remains to be seen but I have seen enough evidence to suggest that we can and will. A mindset had been broken. Onwards and upwards. COYR

Have more faith, Swansea were not awful they simply were put in their place by a team that didn’t give them time to turn with the ball whilst Waghorn and Richards left something on the defenders at every challenge to let them know we were there to compete and jozwiak ran across them all the time and nobody had any idea who should be marking him whilst our full backs went past theirs at every opportunity and that is what they do to others frequently. 
in the end their defence actually did well to only let two goals in. 
last night we carried no lightweights to put it simply. 

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I thought we have been playing 433 but with inferior quality and effort and by that I mean jozwiak prefers and seems better on the left (sorry Lawrence) and waghorn battles best on the right and has great delivery and can actually shoot in addition to excellent free kicks ( sorry Lawrence and sorry Holmes) whilst the midfield 3 seem to trust each other and we aren’t playing stupidly at the back with the nonsense passing.

Start of the season it was a 4231 which was not working, recently seemed like a 4231 but a wierd mix between that and 433 because of Knight not being a 10.  Yesterday was the first game that it was a proper 433 with Bielik as the lone holder and 2 advanced wingers. I'd agree Lawrence has been terrible this season and Jozwiak should start over him, there is a good player there though and an out and out 433 suits him as we saw against WBA when we won 3-1 under Lampard with Malone overlapping Lawrence can do well if he finds pockets of space and has confidence. Crap defensively though and rubbish in his own third in general so Jozwiak will be favourite to start over him most games I think. 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Faced with trying to get past Bielik, Shinnie or Knight, I would need to have a committee meeting. I would then choose to play round or between them. Head on you know that you may have to beat any one of them twice. Bielik is likely to have read the pass before you and moves it on so quickly that it must be quite upsetting. After chasing around against Knight for 30 minutes you must draw the conclusion that he has more stamina and will to win than you had imagined. Shinnie will hunt you down repeatedly and has various ways of bringing an attack to an end and you know very quickly not to take liberties. If you have to beat two of these three, there is a problem for you to solve. These three are developing an understanding which will mean more clean sheets. Bielik has a lightning fast brain when it comes to passing. He has great awareness of what is going on and what to do next. It is rather surprising that he is operating at this level so soon after his return from such a long lay off. Our players were so much easier to find because they were in space and on the move. We were so quick to pick up loose balls and do something with them last night. It augurs well for a challenge next season. There are 81 points left to play for this season. Let us see how much progress that we can make. Suddenly it seems like we need alternative rather than replacement players. Lawrence has got to make big changes to get in this team and to retain his place. I do think that he plays better in a team that is playing well .

18 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Have more faith, Swansea were not awful they simply were put in their place by a team that didn’t give them time to turn with the ball whilst Waghorn and Richards left something on the defenders at every challenge to let them know we were there to compete and jozwiak ran across them all the time and nobody had any idea who should be marking him whilst our full backs went past theirs at every opportunity and that is what they do to others frequently. 
in the end their defence actually did well to only let two goals in. 
last night we carried no lightweights to put it simply. 

Very true about Jozwiack. Ibe and Lawrence are capable of doing the same. We have some tough nuts in this team and we are learning to give as good as we get.

Missed the game as am sick as a dog (not a red one though, that'd be gross). Just scanned the thread and it sounds like we were excellent. Wasn't at all sure about Rooney but I'd imagine the job is his now, surely. Would be very unfair not to at very least extend his tenure until January.

Few comments about Mac which are clearly tongue in cheek so not really sure why folk are getting upset. Even if it were true WR would still get credit for implementing any suggestions Mac had offered.

Roll on Rotherham.

*sidles back to bed 

Archived