v Millwall (A) - Match Thread

Bubbles

What i like about jason knights goal is when fozzy crossed there were 4 of our players running into the box & by the time waggy headed we had 4-5 in the box. Funny how the second ball just falls to one of our players when we commit men forward & all moving to try to get on the end of it

This is what we have been missing 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

People who boo it I believe are coming from a base of hatred. There are many more questioning it, either because they believe it’s politically motivated and they feel uncomfortable with our societal norms and cultures being challenged, but there are also those questioning it because nothing seems to be happening and therefore the protest is having no impact. I simply think the taking the knee is just highlighting that football, but also society has a problem with racism, diversity and inclusion that is deep rooted in how both sport and society is structured. As a result I support it. How you change it is challenging and a complete minefield to be honest. But it needs dialogue, it needs to always be in our consciousness and the protest does that.

Anyway - Football!!! 

Still not sure Rooney is the right man but he deserves credit for yesterday. His team selection and subs yesterday were spot on. All his selections were justified and he now has some selection headaches - Shinnie or Bird, Buchanan or Fozzy being a couple, Lawrence for the moment you cant see getting back in the team.

It also shows the fine margins because yesterday wasn’t much different to a lot of our performances this season. Bournemouth, Cardiff, Forest, Wycombe, Cov, Luton, Bristol all deserved more points than we got. While the last 3 games have not solved our problems they’ve also highlighted that it hasn’t always been as bad as our league position has suggested. It also says to me we have enough to get out of this. 

We were talking about being 9 or 12 points adrift potentially. We’re now 2 points adrift with 30 games remaining.

We will get out of this.

Whilst I agree that the performances are similar to some previously, the mentality is better. 

Rooney, CKR, Bielik and Jozwiak  - who knows? But it is so important in football. 

8 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Nothing wrong with it in my eyes, just doesn't suit our players we don't have the pace or energy to suite counter attack football.  

Looking forward to seeing how we do when Ibe starts feel like we will have a decent attack soon. 

I get that it’s a legitimate tactic, which other teams have had success with, but I prefer my team to be more attacking minded.

Agree on Ibe, fully fit he could transform a team at this level.

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Great to celebrate a rare victory but just to prove what a cruel world it is, within an hour of the final whistle I get a call to say my 88 year old mum with underlying health conditions is in hospital and tested positive for Covid. Sorry to ruin the celebrations but I needed to share. 

Puts things into perspective Tamworthram, hope everything goes well for you and your family. 

Thinking more about the improved mentality which @angieramwas spot on in highlighting as being the difference in recent games. Its so important to have the right mentality in this league with so many tight games. What goes in the favour of Rooney or any manager coming in is that it’s easier to change mind set than to improve players technically or tactically. I’ve seen Derby teams in my lifetime that had no skill whatsoever and you would question how some became professional footballers. There are teams above us who just don’t have the quality but are getting through with hard work and desire. Some like Rotherham are sinking like a stone now. With the right mentality we have the quality to get out of this.

On paper we are a midtable side, a good side for next season with 3 additions of quality, we need to just grind out a few more wins this month and we should be alright.  Holmes needs to up his game I think, Ibe will take his place soon and you could argue some of the academy players could come in for him if he doesn't show more quality in his final ball. Buchanan in for Forsyth probably but other than that's we should be fairly settled for the Brentford game. 

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Agreed. My main criticism of Cocu was his negativity. I remember a couple of away games I went to last season, I was pretty sure I could see him actively telling the players not to press. The whole sitting back thing never sat right with me.

Agree totally 

That said I won’t lie yesterday when Rooney was sending on wiz and Buchanan To try and see out the game I just had horrible images of yers gone by 

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

What i like about jason knights goal is when fozzy crossed there were 4 of our players running into the box & by the time waggy headed we had 4-5 in the box. Funny how the second ball just falls to one of our players when we commit men forward & all moving to try to get on the end of it

This is what we have been missing 

In an absolute nutshell this 

cocu just didn’t get it im sorry 

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree totally 

That said I won’t lie yesterday when Rooney was sending on wiz and Buchanan To try and see out the game I just had horrible images of yers gone by 

I was exactly the same! Was having a panic attack on here for those last 5/10 minutes. I really don’t like moving players around and changing systems late on in games. I think it serves to have the opposite impact to what was intended - it just confuses the players, and makes it easier for the opposition to find space. If you want to sure up the backline to hold onto a lead, you should make like for like changes instead imo. For example, subbing Wisdom on for Byrne yesterday, so you have a more defence minded full back.

16 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Going forward mate do you think a specific BAME round could happen over there? We have one here and each team will have a special jersey done by a community member and they sell like hot cakes. All profits go back into indigenous community programs. The indigenous players really take it onboard doing school and community talks to get their point of view heard. Here’s one from my local club.

A6412720-4CE5-4722-A4D9-7CAF8A3967FA.thumb.jpeg.263636470cf9258b8d0569b406582fab.jpeg

I wonder if we could have one team member wearing it, practically speaking as a goalie strip, or maybe ball boys .. something to attract attention and be a talking point. Anything that keeps the ideal fresh and in peoples minds 

On 05/12/2020 at 20:31, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Every team needs a 'water carrier'. Perhaps you don't notice as much of what he brings as you think. Also, quite hard to give an opinion on his performance today from radio commentary alone, if that's what has brought about your criticism?. Football is a squad game and there will always be role for a ball winner, especially in the Championship. He may not be a 'creative' player or add a lot in attacking terms, but what he does do well is break down opposition attacks then look for an achievable ball to one of ours who can do some damage. That's his role, pure and simple. Answer me this; if he's not 'thundering about making tackles' as you put it, who is? 

Oh this wasn't a comment about his performance today and more a comment about him in general in response to what @Mafiabob said, in fairness probably wasn't the right place for it

Thing is even a water carrier needs to do certain things and being involved in the play. I'm not expecting him to be a playmaker or creative and I don't mind him keeping it simple. What I do expect him to do more is simply to move into space, give a passing option and then quickly and accurately find a teammate. And to be honest too often he doesn't really and I think it stifles us at times, especially when opposition notice it tactically (Luton and QPR spring to mind).

In terms of your question; Bielik is a better ball winner, Bird is only just behind Shinnie in terms of tackles per 90 mins, Knight more than matches him for energy and we don't sacrifice anything on the ball with them. With all that said the better more controversial answer is that I'm not convinced you need one if you are set up correctly. To paraphrase Xabi Alonso "Tackling is a last resort".

Archived