Ed Dawes

Mafiabob

19 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Strangely enough I would love Warnock to come here. We should have got him a few years ago. 

maybe, just maybe, the kids aren’t that good......?

I'd be buying this if Sibley and Bird had been playing all season, and the other kids were in the team and not doing it. Our two academy regulars of Buchanan and Knight have been our best players. I know that isn't saying much given that we're bottom, but they have done enough to earn international call ups, so it's not just our club that rates them.

I agree it's easy to overegg the talent in the academy as its a massive step up to play Championship football, but labelling them all as 'not that good' is taking it too far the other way.

Good sides have a blend of youth and experience, and it's the experienced players that are letting us down the most. Rooney, Lawrence, Waghorn, Holmes to some extent (though not fully fit) and Clarke simply haven't stepped up at all this season and are playing their worst football or not just their Derby careers, but arguably their entire career. The only seasoned professionals who have are Marshall, Davies when called upon, and Byrne and Shinnie, the latter two who I'm not necessarily convinced are top quality at this level anyway, but have been putting in the effort and showing some confidence. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Strangely enough I would love Warnock to come here. We should have got him a few years ago. 

Said a long time ago its only worth playing the kids if and when they are good enough and ready to do so,none of this crop is no better than making the bench up for experience,the wage bill as been cut as Mel was not sticking more money in to the club,all the quality we had as gone 

Keogh   Not replaced

Huddlestone Not replaced

Martin   Not Replaced

Thorne  Not Replaced 

The list goes on and on

10 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I'd be buying this if Sibley and Bird had been playing all season, and the other kids were in the team and not doing it. Our two academy regulars of Buchanan and Knight have been our best players. I know that isn't saying much given that we're bottom, but they have done enough to earn international call ups, so it's not just our club that rates them.

I agree it's easy to overegg the talent in the academy as its a massive step up to play Championship football, but labelling them all as 'not that good' is taking it too far the other way.

Good sides have a blend of youth and experience, and it's the experienced players that are letting us down the most. Rooney, Lawrence, Waghorn, Holmes to some extent (though not fully fit) and Clarke simply haven't stepped up at all this season and are playing their worst football or not just their Derby careers, but arguably their entire career. The only seasoned professionals who have are Marshall, Davies when called upon, and Byrne and Shinnie, the latter two who I'm not necessarily convinced are top quality at this level anyway, but have been putting in the effort and showing some confidence. 

Agreed, the youngsters have NOT let us down. They are the only bright light so far this season

1 hour ago, David said:

Not at all. The game has changed, like it or not, the players hold all the power not just at Derby but at all clubs.

The minute the players look at you and think yeah whatever, there is no going back, you may as well walk as clubs can't afford to replace a full team.

There will be cliques, circles of players where if one gets targeted by the manager you can lose another 5 as they look out for their mate.

You might hate the players for not putting the effort in, not giving the manager their all, you might want to see the back of the lot of them but they are the players that will dig us out of that mess and you just need a manager in there that they will respect and enjoy playing for. 

The moment the players think they have all the power is the moment the manager loses control and credibility. Now, it doesn't mean you have to scream at them but it's about time authority was asserted and better performances were demanded. Personally, I'd be sending messages to the players by rooting out those not up to it, sending them to the under 23's and stop this love in that's going on.   It's clear in both of the interviews with Wisdom and Rosenior last night that there is a much too relaxed, jovial atmosphere around the camp. You can be relaxed and jovial when you're winning games- you shouldn't be if you're bottom of the league, unable to score and losing week in week out. You should be getting angry with one another not cracking jokes like you're best pals. 

12 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Said a long time ago its only worth playing the kids if and when they are good enough and ready to do so,none of this crop is no better than making the bench up for experience,

We'd only be able to field 3 players if the academy lads were limited to the bench. They've outperformed all the experienced players this season except Marshall, Shinnie and arguably Davies (as a head it and kick it CB).

12 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

the wage bill as been cut as Mel was not sticking more money in to the club,all the quality we had as gone 

Keogh   Not replaced

Huddlestone Not replaced

Martin   Not Replaced

Thorne  Not Replaced 

The list goes on and on

It's not so much a case of Mel not wanting to spend, more a case of there's no chance of him being able to spend more even if he wanted to (due to P&S)

14 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I do wonder though whether Mac has been on the phone to Steele for his views. Steele has been watching Derby all season.

I'm sure I heard Eric say last night before the debacle, that he was speaking to Kelle during training.  That struck a chord with me and speaks volumes for what might be coming down the line soon.......

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'd only be able to field 3 players if the academy lads were limited to the bench. They've outperformed all the experienced players this season except Marshall, Shinnie and arguably Davies (as a head it and kick it CB).

It's not so much a case of Mel not wanting to spend, more a case of there's no chance of him being able to spend more even if he wanted to (due to P&S)

I’d add Byrne as well, he’s not playing as well as earlier in the season but he hasn’t let the club down like a number of others have!

2 minutes ago, RedSox said:

I'm sure I heard Eric say last night before the debacle, that he was speaking to Kelle during training.  That struck a chord with me and speaks volumes for what might be coming down the line soon.......

If true (big if) theres not enough room for Eric and Shay!

Definitely agree with the sentiment that a tea-cup throwing hairdryer of a manager is not what this team needs right now. I think a manager like that would only end up having the opposite effect on the players, and all but seal our miserable fate.

Paul Cook, Eddie Howe, Slavisa Jokanovic, even Sam Allardyce, are more like the type we need right now. A motivator to instil some passion, some fight and some pride. 

God help us if it's John Terry or the two rookies currently in the driving seat. 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

He said in his interview before the game that he’s had 3 convos with Derby about coming here. I would take him too which isn’t something I’d of said a year ago. I want Derby to play football the right way, but I’d take just getting out of this mess and then some. Think warnock would have done that for us. He clearly has a lost of respect in the game, his character might not be everyone’s cup of tea (although like mourinho recently, public opinion seems to be swaying more positively towards both) but no one can argue with his record in the EFL, I can only recall Leeds where he didn’t have the impact he usually does, but no one did at Leeds until bielsa. 

14 minutes ago, Ramos said:

.....I can only recall Leeds where he didn’t have the impact he usually does, but no one did at Leeds until bielsa. 

It was a bit of a poisoned chalice until Bielsa (a bit like ourselves at present) - suspect the old commode sitter has only worked out because he can't speak Yorkshire....

Archived