Ed Dawes

Mafiabob

5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08zmx40

For all those that missed it, Ed Dawes pretty much capturing the mood of Derby County fans... nice to see a passionate person who has a following open up like that and use his thoughts like this. 

Good to hear some passion indeed. I think we’ll see a change on Saturday once Mac3 has had time to intervene. Some of the chiefs have to disappear and a leader emerge who imposes a collective will. We have enough talent to pull through; surely we’ve reached the bottom of the trough and now we can re-emerge. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed dawes was spot on . 

Arthur Cox pull no punches , Brian clough pull no punches,  .Most good managers have a hint of charisma about them and most definitely a toughness . 

Seen a post earlier prob by the admin that said you cant do that nowadays , can you imagine a namby pamby army to defend us ? , I know this is football but it's no different .

What led dawes said was 100% spot on kick up the backside and if you still dont play your out it's simple.  If you listened to radio Derby when nigel callaghan was on this was exactly Arthur's style.

I feel for the lad Lawrence he has had a bad time but how many arms do you put round him on at least 10k a week ? How many times do you go there there it all be better tomorrow , he either comes at life in a new way or he sinks that's his choice but we dint have to sink with this lot , just stick em in reserves for me I would sooner play the kids and go down at least they will try .

P.s I'm not Rooney's fan at all , but if your old enough we avoided relegation once by surrounding a very old archie gemmill with young legs while he stood still , this can be done again but for me rooney is acting disinterested even to do that . 

We are going down sooner we accept it the less it hurts . 

Up the rams and up ed dawes lol. 

Can you imagine what Graham Richard's would be saying right now ????. 

9 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Arthur Cox pull no punches , Brian clough pull no punches,  .Most good managers have a hint of charisma about them and most definitely a toughness . 

Brian Clough also used to turn up at players houses and refuse to leave until they signed for him. Football has changed a lot since those days. 

Just now, David said:

Brian Clough also used to turn up at players houses and refuse to leave until they signed for him. Football has changed a lot since those days. 

That's exactly it it hasnt really , just players are on to much money and the reason no matter how good a player is it's there attitude that needs checking just like a young nigel clough use to say , they need to fit into the attitude of the squad .

11 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

That's exactly it it hasnt really , just players are on to much money and the reason no matter how good a player is it's there attitude that needs checking just like a young nigel clough use to say , they need to fit into the attitude of the squad .

So things have changed as players are on much more money...

42 minutes ago, David said:

So things have changed as players are on much more money...

Hence where the power shift has changed from manager to player.....

FWIW I think Ed Dawes passion last night was spot on - and it was refreshing to hear. In the heat of the moment he was expressing his views about the fact that this bunch of players needed motivating to play with more pride, more passion and more togetherness and fight in every game for every single point - and if they don’t want to, then (metaphorically) move on. I think we can get too hung up on the exact words he used in the heat of the moment. 

Motivation for some players will still be an “old fashioned” balling out, hairdryer treatment - call it what you will. Yet for others it will be an arm round the shoulder, quiet words of encouragement - the approaches will vary from player to player. The only thing that is common for the whole squad is that they are paid to play football for Derby County. 

One core strength of any good coach/management team is understanding the diverse characteristics of each player and how to bring the best out of them day in day out - I just hope we find that right blend soon!!!

15 hours ago, Dava75 said:

FWIW I think Ed Dawes passion last night was spot on - and it was refreshing to hear. In the heat of the moment he was expressing his views about the fact that this bunch of players needed motivating to play with more pride, more passion and more togetherness and fight in every game for every single point - and if they don’t want to, then (metaphorically) move on. I think we can get too hung up on the exact words he used in the heat of the moment. 

Motivation for some players will still be an “old fashioned” balling out, hairdryer treatment - call it what you will. Yet for others it will be an arm round the shoulder, quiet words of encouragement - the approaches will vary from player to player. The only thing that is common for the whole squad is that they are paid to play football for Derby County. 

One core strength of any good coach/management team is understanding the diverse characteristics of each player and how to bring the best out of them day in day out - I just hope we find that right blend soon!!!

I remember listening to someone on the radio talking about how SAF would baalock Rooney even if it was someone else who needed telling what was wrong because the others would listen to the words he was saying and knew if he bollocked Rooney, he'd try harder no matter but some of the others a bollocking would just destroy them. 

I also remember the story of Wenger at half time once going into the changing room and not saying a word but just looking at each player, because they know what the should've been hearing.

And I remember John Gregory telling them at half to "you got us into this mess, you get us out" (spoiler, they didn't)

It's not an exact science giving team talks, motivating players.

Strangely, motivating the players and getting the best out of them is Stevie Mac’s strength. Remember what happened to us under Jim Smith once Steve had gone to Manure? We went as flat as a fart. And during Mac 1 the change in Jake Buxton, who Nigel Clough made play as a “kick it and head it” defender but Steve turned him into someone who could change the game with a single pass.

Here’s hoping he can inspire the current squad to do what they are capable of!

Just now, bucktwo said:

Needs chucking in the bin with Ramage . We need commentary on the game not his self indulgent tripe. Leave the analysis to Eric who knows exactly what he is talking about.

Deep sympathy if you're having to listened to 'screamer' Dawes!

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Christ, it’s just needless little comments like; “player power isn’t as prevalent as when Richard Keogh was at the club.”

Duck off Ed, it’s needless 

The bold bit is all that is needed and I agree with the sentiment entirely.

Archived