Ed Dawes

Mafiabob

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed and Chris's comments were fair last night it was nice to hear radio Derby say something negative instead of usually going overly optimistic ?

But I didn't agree with Steele's comments defending Rooney. One minute he is "a world class player" next "you can't keep moving Rooney he can't cope with that" and giving him the excuse that his mind was half on management half on playing ?

Bringing in an experienced manager to come in, swear at them and if you don't like it get out the club sounds great but in the real world can't happen. That would all but confirm relegation for us as it's not a video game, we can't just bin off a bunch of players and replace in January. 

Right now we need a a motivator, someone that can come in and work with the players we have, you have to be adaptable, one player might need the hairdryer treatment whilst the next might need an arm round them and reminder of how great they are.

You have a dressing room with all kinds of personalities, you can't be so one dimensional to think f'ing and blinding at them all will work.

I do actually like Radio Derby's coverage, it gets a lot of flak but they do care and they do try their best. A bit like with Nicholson at the DET, Radio Derby has to have a long term relationship with the club and sometimes that means they can't say all they know or give it both barrels (the fans might love that for a day) without getting put in a "RD only ever get the party line and outside what we contractually have to do for them, we tell them nothing and give them nothing" box. 

But yes, last night they'd clearly lost patience with it and rightly so.  

3 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

Ed and Chris's comments were fair last night it was nice to hear radio Derby say something negative instead of usually going overly optimistic ?

But I didn't agree with Steele's comments defending Rooney. One minute he is "a world class player" next "you can't keep moving Rooney he can't cope with that" and giving him the excuse that his mind was half on management half on playing ?

I was disappointed in Steele. Criticising younger players and then defending his pal Rooney. It's clear as day Rooney is finished come 60 minutes. We have 5 subs. What's the issue with Rooney busting his ass for 45-60 minutes or coming on as a sub for 30 mins and doing the same. 

Rooney lazily plays the entire 90 mins, just so he can last the 90 mins. But as their 3rd goal showed, it doesn't take much for the opponent's to pounce on a non existent Rooney. 

I don't care what he's achieved in the past. You pay your respect to him off the pitch with that stuff. If I played for Derby right now, I'd have gotten into a heated argument with him several times about his couldn't care less attitude, losing possession in our third or not tracking back properly. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Bringing in an experienced manager to come in, swear at them and if you don't like it get out the club sounds great but in the real world can't happen. That would all but confirm relegation for us as it's not a video game, we can't just bin off a bunch of players and replace in January. 

Right now we need a a motivator, someone that can come in and work with the players we have, you have to be adaptable, one player might need the hairdryer treatment whilst the next might need an arm round them and reminder of how great they are.

You have a dressing room with all kinds of personalities, you can't be so one dimensional to think f'ing and blinding at them all will work.

already got that man at the club he was watching from the stands last night

Chris Coles is class - to good for Local Radio.

Ed Dawes can be very annoying but his comments last night were brilliant !

Eric Steele is quality - yes he sticks up for Rooney but I believe there are friends - he won't want to slag him off on radio !

1 minute ago, David said:

TBH we need someone to put fat wazza back in his box. He's not going to take over as manager and he needs to improve his form. DO that, and he'll have everyone else's attention and respect. 

I don't think the England players respected McClaren when he was England manager, so I don't have high hopes Rooney will now if they give it Mac on an interim basis. 

12 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

Seen a few people mention that Steele's got a massive blind spot when it comes to Rooney, talks absolute poo about him and thinks in his head, seemingly like Rooney himself, that he's the same player he was 5 years ago, when he's not even the same player he was 5 months ago.

1 minute ago, Justa said:

Chris Coles is class - to good for Local Radio.

Ed Dawes can be very annoying but his comments last night were brilliant !

Eric Steele is quality - yes he sticks up for Rooney but I believe there are friends - he won't want to slag him off on radio !

Agree with this, can't usually stand Dawes but his mood matched the majority of fans last night and can't fault his passion for the club. Really enjoy Steele's commentary but would prefer him to answer questions instead of skirting round them to avoid criticising Rooney. 

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08zmx40

For all those that missed it, Ed Dawes pretty much capturing the mood of Derby County fans... nice to see a passionate person who has a following open up like that and use his thoughts like this. 

Ed Dawes is much maligned on here at times but he spoke from the heart for all of us last night - we are absolutely sick and tired of the circus surrounding the club. No more stunts, no more showboating, just get a manager in who knows what he is doing at this level of football and make it quick.

11 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Seen a few people mention that Steele's got a massive blind spot when it comes to Rooney, talks absolute poo about him and thinks in his head, seemingly like Rooney himself, that he's the same player he was 5 years ago, when he's not even the same player he was 5 months ago.

At times he sounds like he wants the entire team building around Rooney.  He already gets the play where and how long he wants and pick the team ? what more can you give him.

He will also not admit we were better without rooney for those games

15 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I’m sick of him blowing smoke up his backside. Makes Steele look foolish IMO. Frankly I expect better. 

we have played better with Rooney in the team. 

and now is not the time for a rookie manager regardless of whether he’s having his hand held by maclaren. 

I would suggest that Rooney isn't our worst player but cannot play very game, Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday. He still has his place in the squad but should be rested against the physical pressing teams because he isn't suited to those games. 

This isn't a binary choice. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I would suggest that Rooney isn't our worst player but cannot play very game, Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday. He still has his place in the squad but should be rested against the physical pressing teams because he isn't suited to those games. 

This isn't a binary choice. 

Due to issues outside of the actual playing *cough* 32red *cough* it seems we can't use him that way, we have to get him to play 90 minutes to get the sponsor dollars and can't afford not to. I think it's that perception more than anything that has got fans (including myself) raging about him. 

If he was used sparingly and appropriately I think he could offer a lot more than he is doing waddling around knackered every match. 

34 minutes ago, David said:

This, and his comments on Maradona, just had me thinking “oh duck off Ed”.

There’s a fair chance we’re in this predicament because we  have so many kids in the side. Screaming at them could potentially ruin careers, let alone this season. 

49 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

Funny you say that as for years Radio Derby has been accused of being too negative about the club! 

Archived