Is Eric Steele right saying Rooney has to play

Curtains

I think Rooney has had some terrible games this season but yesterday I thought he played fairly well. 
The problem he has got now is that he is seen (rightly or wrongly) as significant part of the reason Cocu was sacked.

This has brought people’s personal preferences to the fore and Rooney the ‘Neanderthal’ is now seen as a villain in the downfall of gentleman Phil. This coupled with a significant section of fans wanting an experienced head in means he is doomed to fail before he has begun. I didn’t agree with lots of the flack aimed at him and Rosenior on the matchday thread, especially after plenty have called out some of stuff thrown at Cocu in the last few weeks. Perhaps Rooney is seen as fair game due to the perception of the type of person he is.  My preference since Cocu left was to get an experienced Championship manager but whilst the decision makers at the club have picked them to lead the team, I will support them. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"Head and shoulders" above the rest? I'd have put Clarke, Buchanan, Bird and Knight above him.

I think this is what a lot our fans don’t like about the Rooney show, it overshadows the rest of the club!

Same when Frank was here.

Rooney played fairly well but as you say there were better performers but you wouldn’t know it if you didn’t watch.

I think our best displays of the season have come without Rooney in the team. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

I do think if he is serious about being our manager he shouldn’t be playing. There’s a reason there isn’t another team in the 92 operating with a player manager.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"Head and shoulders" above the rest? I'd have put Clarke, Buchanan, Bird and Knight above him.

You are being a little generous with Buchanan and Knight (IMO) but I do get your point. I thought Rooney was good for 70 minutes but he was clearly Pantene near the end.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Do we need a quarterback slowing us down though that’s the point. 

I don't think he did slow us down yesterday, passing was largely quick and up the field, but I agree he normally seems to.  Knight is genuinely box to box though and yesterday we needed his well timed runs in there to get on the end of crosses which fell to no-one. He can finish as we've seen.  Bird doesn't have this in his game, so whilst they played well together yesterday, I would go for Rooney and knight in there or Bird and knight.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But that doesn’t make for interesting copy. 

If he wants to be a manager, he’s got to retire, simple as that. A player-manager is a recipe for disaster. If he wants to step back and just get on with his job as a player, then he still potentially has a lot to offer us - if he puts the effort in, that is. 

No player should be guaranteed their place though, no matter who they are. It’s felt very much like Rooney decides whether or not he plays, throughout his whole time here. There’s been plenty of times he’s been the worst player on the park, yet he’s kept his place next game over players who performed better. It can’t be good for squad morale to have a player seen as undroppable for whatever reason in the team. 

For what it’s worth, I thought Rooney was our best player yesterday - he worked harder, and his passing was excellent and controlled. But he needs to keep those standards up to stay in the team, with the other midfielders we have challenging him.

I just kind of feel like whatever Rooney does do, he's doing it in a team that's nowhere near the level of recent Derby teams and we've arguably seen others in Derby teams doing it better. But he's Wayne Rooney! He's not what he was, if he was, he'd not be at Derby.  So we have to view

I'd argue both Huddlestone and Thorne have played deep playmaker better the the current Rooney does. Huddlestone made a permier league career for himself doing that, despite his lack of pace and surprisingly crap tackling.

We've not played a 10 that much, but Vydra when he got top scorer under rowett was better at 10 than the current Rooney, attacking midfielder? take your pick we've had a couple of belters over the last few years. Free kicks? Waghorn has 2 to his 1 this season and we've had some good FK takers.

For saying all of that, he's in a much weaker team. No matter my lack of enthusiasm, he did play well yesterday - particually one great through ball to Lawrence which he then did nothing with. For me, if he has to play it's obviously because of the 32 red deal. If he was playing some part in some games on his merits he brings I'd be far happier to see him in the ine up.

When we signed him, i was worried it was a gimmik signing and he won me over the first few months he was here but that has nosedived along with the team since the restart.

Would I swap having Rooney at the club for an average Championship no9 or having kept Chris Martin? In a heartbeat.

As manager, coach along with Rosenoir, now I've digested the result yesterday I'm not feeling as bad as I was, jury still very much out, many of the failings under Cocu still very much apparent but it's what we're going with and there's a lot of bad habots to unlearn, partivually trying to do too much (Tom!) passing without hurting, conceeding sucker punch goals, acepting losing, expecting losing etc.

Lets hope I'm the one who's got it all wrong (I often am, I don't mind being shown I'm wrong, at the moment I'd be delighted to be shown wrong)

Whoever is the manager of DCFC then they have my support. I supported Cocu but am afraid it didn’t work out, will support Rooney, Rosenior et al until a time that we have a perm manager in place HOWEVER as much as Steele gives a very insightful opinion from an ex player\coach perspective listening to RDerby he absolutely goes over the top with the Rooney love-in. In his eyes the guy can do no wrong. Slightly nauseating to say the least and I don’t find it very palatable. Steele needs to find a balance IMO. 

I presume that Steele is saying that Rooney must play for his ability and not because it's part of the sponsorship deal? I personally would certainly say that his performance levels have dropped since the restart, but maybe Eric as an ex professional sees things that ordinary punters (myself, not speaking for others) don't look for?

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

I think our best displays of the season have come without Rooney in the team. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

I do think if he is serious about being our manager he shouldn’t be playing. There’s a reason there isn’t another team in the 92 operating with a player manager.

We have averaged 6.1 in the ratings without him. Without him we have averaged 5.8. Slight improvement without him.    

Archived