Wazza...Most unpopular new 'manager' since..

Chester40

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Gary Rowett? Think he was quite decisive from the start if I remember correctly, though did a decent job in the end. 

To be honest, I don’t think many will be that bothered if he takes charge on a very short term caretaker basis. He should have enough to steady the ship for a game or two. But if he’s appointed permanently then I think there will be uproar. Whether it’s true or not, he’ll be labelled as a snake who undermined Cocu to get the job.

Rowett actually had very good popularity at the start, he courted the fans well and to be honest traded on his reputation to smooth over some unpopular decisions.

His popularity ebbed away over the season and the only really plummeted when he jumped ship.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Rowett actually had very good popularity at the start, he courted the fans well and to be honest traded on his reputation to smooth over some unpopular decisions.

His popularity ebbed away over the season and the only really plummeted when he jumped ship.

Fair enough, couldn’t really remember how things were at the start. There probably should have been question marks over it given how things ended at Birmingham, but maybe we all just glossed over that.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair enough, couldn’t really remember how things were at the start. There probably should have been question marks over it given how things ended at Birmingham, but maybe we all just glossed over that.

There were murmurings about it and about his style of player but the largely held perception was he was hard done to by Birmingham and that his style of play was more a factor of the players at his disposal than it was personal choice.

Plus a lot of the murmurs about style of play were somewhat buried when earlier doors he said a few things to the effect of "admiring Klopp's style of play and his counterpressing" and wanting to play "energetic, aggressive, pressing football" at Derby.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

There were murmurings about it and about his style of player but the largely held perception was he was hard done to by Birmingham and that his style of play was more a factor of the players at his disposal than it was personal choice.

Plus a lot of the murmurs about style of play were somewhat buried when earlier doors he said a few things to the effect of "admiring Klopp's style of play and his counterpressing" and wanting to play "energetic, aggressive, pressing football" at Derby.

Yeah, he wasn’t exactly renowned for acting on his words!

25 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

They slagged off every manager we have ever had....and you honestly think anyone would invest in a team who are bottom of the league if we hadn’t got Wayne Rooney..?

25 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

They slagged off every manager we have ever had....and you honestly think anyone would invest in a team who are bottom of the league if we hadn’t got Wayne Rooney..?

Derby weren't bottom last may (when negotiations began) and to suggest that Wayne Rooney is a larger financial carrot as our great club is fallacy. 

Though I do agree with you on one thing, our fanbase is/are/will be forever fickle on unrealistic demands, but that shouldn't be considered a negative. It is a small step towards ambition .

Now why don't delve into the archives of our football club and educate yourself on why Derby are a shrewd investment for any foreign consortium minus the granny shagging scouse thats been around for a stitch of time in comparison.

How do you get the managers job and make yourself unpopular at the same time?1) wait till you are on the verge of the play offs , give the ball to Tomlin to score and make no effort to get back. 2) Don’t get fit for the start of the season 3)Get your mate to bring a watch round and miss 3 games . 4) Get all your mates to spout in the media what a great manager you are going to be . Job done

Surprised people are so negative about this prospect.

Lampard comes in for his first job, I think there was a lot of excitement (tinged a little bit with trepidation, as lots of good players have turned out to be poor manager) - but he is clearly an intelligent chap, bought with him a lot of youthful verve, lots of good relationships with big clubs and managers, and so on.  We got some excellent loans in and a lot of attention - most of it good.  We played some decent stuff (not always brilliant), but the club had a ‘feel good’ sense about the place.

It is odd that the same sort of excitement or expectation isn’t revolving around Rooney.  Partly it will be because of where we are in the league and the supposed need for an experienced manager to get us out of a mess. But more so, it may be because Rooney doesn’t come across as well as Frank. He doesn’t appear to be a student of the game, or a good talker. For all we know he might be a tactical genius, but he doesn’t come across as such. The fact he is still (sort of) playing and there hasn’t been time for his coaching stock to rise may also be a factor.

I also think a lot of us got a bit tired of being ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby County’ and don’t want to be ‘Wayne Rooney’s Derby County’.  

Nevertheless, in normal times I think the prospect of a genuine legend coming to the team would be met with more excitement.  But then, we’ve just had two genuine legends of the game manage us and we’re bottom of the league, so maybe not that surprising after all.

To be honest, I don’t get too excited either away about the next appointment. History shows that you can have great expectations and they come to nowt (as with Cocu) or no expectations and you get promoted (as with TBE). What will be, will be.

Archived